BCBS

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience getting individual health insurance from BCBS? I am almost out of my BCBS via Ceridian. And I filed paperwork for individual insurance starting the first of the month. I've spoken to them twice this week and they asked me the same questions both times about the blood pressure and diabetes meds I am on. I'm working on losing the weight and such. Just worried that they will deny me.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Talk to the Squirrel, talk to the Squirrel!

3. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

We tried to get insurance throught BCBS albout 7 years ago, after I had my twins. I had a blood clot in my leg while I carried them and had to be on meds (injections) throughout the pregnancy and for a couple of months after having them. Even though I had been cleared and was no longer on meds, BCBS was going to charge us over $900 a month for MY insurance and somewhere between $200-$250 for the rest of my family. Needless to say, we didn't accept their quote...and we still don't have any insurance!

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:iagree: PRM can help you out. We recently had BCBS insurance through him for my dh and ds's. This was the second time we had to get individual insurance due to job layoffs. There was no way I could afford to add them to my state plan. BCBS was half what I would have had to pay monthly to add them to my policy! Good luck! It is a royal pain, but PRM can help you wade through it all!

5. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

BCBS Sucks

They denied me as medically ineligable because I take a small dose of BP med (which doctor says she will take me off of it soon because I lost weight by running and working out and eat right) and I take an anti-anxiety med because I am stressing out about possibly being laid off again (2nd time in 3 years and current job doesnt offer insurance and 18 months of COBRA is running out) and I have a wife fighting cancer. So I think I have a right to have a little anxiety. The thing that gets me is the doctor talk me into taking the anti-anxiety at first I said nah I dont need it. So besides those 2 meds I am very healthy, plays sports, eats right most of the time and until very recently one went to the doctor once a year if that. I have also been a BCBS customer for over 15 years. I was going for an individual policy just for me with a high deductible and a prescription deductible since the 2 I take are very cheap generics. So go figure! I guess they are getting back at me for having a wife on my plan with cancer they have had to pay out too much on her. I quess that make me a risk.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  6. Quincy8Boy

Quincy8Boy Well-Known Member

They quoted me $1,800/month

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I'm afraid to even ask how much it would be for me,I'm sure that as soon the big C is discovered in my medical history it would be quite high!

8. Vinalexnc

Vinalexnc Well-Known Member

I'm filing a complaint with the state and they will help with the appeal.

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Had BCBS when I was with the state, had BCBS through my employor when I left the state, had BCBS when I started with my current company, current company switched to Providian and is now back with BCBS.

Compared to Providian and some of the other plans the state offered BCBS is better coverage in my opinion. Am I totally happy with them, nope, but then again unless I was totally rich and could afford my own private healthcare I wouldn't be happy with anyone.

10. Rockyv58

BCBS quote

Well I got the BCBS quote today, it is $653.11 and not the 223.71 that was originally quoted.

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

That always reminds of that annoying BCBS commercial where the guy says 'I used to think getting my own insurance would be too expensive until I got a quote from BCBS' yeah right! :x

12. Rockyv58

And their commercials using a 'scape' goat. The 'scape' goat can't afford health care and end up going to the emergency room and the tax payers end up footing the bill.

Just give me the same insurance that our senators and congressmen have, and I'll be good to go.

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Pretty sure BCBS plays like 80 cents on every dollar.

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

That's fix a lot of health care issues, access, coverage, pre-existing denial, prescription coverage....

15. Rockyv58

For what BSBC wants to charge me I will use that money and pay full price for the drugs I need and still have several hundred left over for other bills. And if I need a doctor I will go where the illegals go. Public Health on Brightleaf Blvd. Or go to the emergency room.

16. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Some pharmacies have plans where you can get certain prescription drugs for like $4 each. My thoughts are that if pharmacies, doctors and hospitals are willing to negotiate and accept lesser rates from insurance companies, they should be willing to also do the same for the uninsured. It's like buying something not on sale at Kohl's-the real price is the sale price that is offered just about every other week! Why should we pay sticker price for healthcare when we don't for cars or homes? Also, don't be afraid to shop around for your healthcare. You'd be surprised at the differences in charges. Some practices also offer discount based on a sliding scale income level.

17. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

Imagine if you put $300 a month in a Health Savings Account for a year. Insurance at my work has a 2500 a year deductible. But having more than than in an HSA, drawing a little interest, makes a world of difference.