Workers Comp. question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Jun 30, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Despite wearing safety glasses DH managed to get something into his eye the other day,he's been using eye drops,he just got back home from working today and it hasn't got much better. As some of you may know he doesn't have any insurance,if he decides to go have it looked at where would he go? What if it is on a weekend? Would worker comp. pay for the medical expenses?
    Thanks in advance!

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I hope he mentioned it at work when it happened, and it was documented. Otherwise, I hate to say it, but it could be tough to get workers comp. to cover it. Workers Comp. injuries, require immediate documentation at the least, they could also require an immediate drug test and then going to a medical facility that the companies workmans comp. insurance works with in their area. Usually a Quick-Med type of place for minor injuries.

3. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

If it happened on the job worker's comp will cover it...but unless the incident was reported when it happened it can get difficult depending on the company.

I think if it was me I would try ask the doc to file it as worker's comp and take my chances. If it's a legit claim and they (the company) aren't total jerks they should pay it.

Note that if he's not a direct employee- if he's working through a temp service or as a contractor- the service or agency he's with is most likely responsible for his WC insurance.

4. smiles

smiles Well-Known Member

Some workplaces require you to go through them to set up the doctor's appointment. If you omit this step, they will not cover it at all.

5. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Don't be stupid! Just go to an optometrist and explain what is going on. Last year I got a piece of metal in my eye and because I waited till the next morning to see the eye doctor it cost me three additional visits because the piece of metal rusted overnight and the rust was on my eyeball.

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:iagree:

7. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

metal in your eye. it rust after about 12 hours. has to be "drilled" out with a rasp. you can feel it pulsating on your eyeball while it's being done. Don't really hurt, but it is uncomortable. Workmans comp? I dont know. I'm self employed.

8. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

go get it out. most of the time it only gets worse (more painful). at the very least, if it's in the white part of your eye, it'll leave a rust colored spot.

I'm a welder / machinest / and other/ Been there!