Save .10 a gallon @ Murphy gas stations!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Jul 1, 2011.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

http://walmartstores.com/AboutUs/10629.aspx

Looking at the detailed list, only the one in Clayton on Hwy 70 is participating and the one on New Bern Ave in Raleigh. The store on Hwy 42 is not doing it.
    Which doesn't surprise me since they never worked with Walmart on the 3 cents a gallon off either.

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this- it's a big enough discount to make it worthwhile. That is, unless the participating stations raise their prices by .10 a gallon to compensate!

4. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

It's not worth the aggravation to me to save a dollar or two when I fill up. I will save it some other way rather than have to go in and buy and keep up with yet another card. I don't have the patience.

5. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

For me it's like coupons...they are only useful if it's a product I normally would buy. I normally get my gas at the Murphy Station in Clayton and (haters will love this) I'm normally in the WalMart once a week..so for me it's not an inconvenience. Something else I noticed on a trip last week is that in SC a number of gas stations are going back to the different price for gas if paying by cash vs. credit.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's pretty much the same for me, except my WM trips and my need for gas rarely coincide. I'm also trying to avoid WM gas, since I think I got a bad tank a few weeks ago and I thought something was BAD wrong with my little car. I am not 100% certain that is what is was, but I ran a tank of Exxon through plus some gas dry and now it's fine. :?

7. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Beginning some time this month there is going to be an additional fee added to debit/credit purchases to be paid by the consumer not the retailer. Saw a report on the news about it earlier this week.

Example: you buy $5 worth of stuff be it food, gas, milk, beer, etc. there will be an additional .12 charge automatically added if you use your debit card. This will be in addition to the charge the retailer already pays.

8. Shadow Rider

Shadow Rider Well-Known Member

According to this report, it will not be directly paid by the consumer:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/30/business/30debit.html

9. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

That article states that the fees go into place on Oct. 1 and is a nationwide thing, but the article I saw (want to say it was on News Channel 14) said something about the fees going into effect towards the end of this month.

10. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Retailers already pay fees to the banks. What is changing is that the fee that retailers pay to the banks on debit card purchase is being reduced. Of course, that will be a convenient excuse for banks to lower the interest rates that they pay even lower, if that's possible.