Fireworks...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Hatteras6, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

No surprise that the law in NC is pretty restrictive. And, given the danger to person and property from these, it's too bad the law isn't enforced.

http://www.cityofgastonia.com/city_serv/fire/_pdf/Fireworks%202005.pdf

Nutshell version: The types of fireworks permissible for use in North Carolina include sparklers, fountains and novelty fireworks that do not explode, such as "snap and pops" and "glow worms."

Fireworks that are illegal include:
    • Firecrackers
    • Ground spinners
    • Roman candles
    • Bottle rockets
    • Mortars
    • Any pyrotechnic that is intended to spin, leave the ground or fly
    through the air.

Should you choose to use legal fireworks at home, keep the following tips in
    mind:
    • Fireworks are not toys and should only be handled by responsible adults. Even sparklers burn as hot as 1200(F and cause hundreds of injuries every year.
    • Never point or throw fireworks at people, pets, cars or buildings.
    • Always use fireworks outdoors on a paved surface, away from dry grass, wooded areas and dwellings.
    • Never alter fireworks or attempt to make your own.
    • Light one device at a time and move away from it quickly. Never approach fireworks that have not functioned or have "fizzled."
    • Have a hose or bucket of water nearby in case of a fire emergency.
    • Read and follow all directions before lighting fireworks. Do not buy any devices that lack instructions written in English.
    • If you have questions about fireworks legality, contact your local city or county fire marshal.

I'd ask that people not purchase them and set them off at all. If you do, please make sure that those around you are safe. If you give these to a child...

And know that if your negligence does cause damage, you can be sued for it.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

yeah its a slippery slope, whats next banning gas grills because if misused it could blow up,

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. Hatteras6

P, to a point, we can all support whatever, usually up and until that comes back to directly bite us in the butt.

I guess those in favor of fireworks are OK with them until their home gets burned to the ground by a neighbor's fireworks. I guess then we'll see how neighborly they can be, and how harmless fireworks are then.

4. BuzzMyMonkey

as far as burning houses down, lets take your stance on voter id and lack of fraud. Not sure I remember a house around here being burnt to the ground so why trek on that slippery slope?

5. Lucidity

Lucidity Well-Known Member

Isn't speeding illegal too?

6. BuzzMyMonkey

well so far so good, all those fireworks in the hood and no sirens or burnt down houses.

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Bet the emergency rooms were hoppin' tho.

8. BuzzMyMonkey

usually do

9. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Heavens no, where did you hear something like that?

10. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Lawnmowers are fun until you cut your foot off. Chainsaws are fun until you cut your leg off. Saws are fun until you cut your hand off. Hair dryers are great until you use it in the bathtub; same with toasters.

Point being, everyday items are safe until misused. Fireworks are no different.

11. BuzzMyMonkey

Righto,

12. Hatteras6

While on the back porch last night, the wafting scent of pine smoke was present. Sure hope no one lost anything of value. If they did not, I'm glad. The potential for fire spreading is still higher than most like.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  13. Damn straight! Last month I was driving through the charred remains of what was once South Carolina and thinking, "I can still remember the day when they made all fireworks legal. The news reports of all those houses exploding and the emergency rooms being over run with one-armed kids. And who could forget the news reports of Myrtle Beach in flames and the Atlantic Ocean ablaze with bottle rockets? Such a pity". :roll:

I've traveled all over the world and North Carolina is the most beautiful state I've seen. It is also the most draconian place I've ever lived. From the ABC stores to the beer referendum to the mile high gasoline tax. Geez Louise guys, stop trying to regulate every-damn-thing

14. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I don't really care much about the law one way or another, but it's very dry out there and some applied common sense may not be a bad thing.

15. Very true. I usually light off some bottle rockets and various other fireworks, but this year it's just too hot, too dry, and too windy. I'll enjoy the Cleveland show from my back porch with a cold beer and some bar-b-que.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  16. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

:iagree: