bahamas question

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Jun 30, 2011.

1. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey, I know you need a passport to go to the bahamas.
    1. Do you need foreign currancy also
    2. do they cash American travelers checks there
    3. does it cost alot of phone and text from over there.
    4. should i purchase them from here? how does that work

Thanks!!!
    Anything else i need to know about going to the bahamas, by plane not a cruise.

2. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

Hi,

1. No American dollars are widely accepted.
    2. I wouldn't use cashiers checks . I'd use a charge card for anything over $10 or so. Charge card not debit card.
    3. Your carrier might have options for international calls/text.
    4. Not sure what this referred to. The phone/text stuff?

Have a wonderful trip!

3. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for the info. What I referring to was, should I call my cell phone provider and purchase some text messages and phone minutes from this end where it is cheaper. My sister purchased 50 text messages for $10. from her carrier so she could text from overseas on her vacation. Thanks!!!

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

robbie, you do need to contact your cell carrier and get them on board for when you go. I am not sure the charges and all, but they will get you hooked up. It's easy. US dollars are good. debit/credit is good too, especially in the Bahamas.

have fun, it's so awesome there.

5. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

While I enjoyed our cruise to the bahamas, honestly would rather just hang out in the Florida Keys. Preferably the middle to lower keys.

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I have never been to Nassau or any of the commercial bahama locations, only remote, no cars on the island, no stores, nothing commercial, etc., Cays in the Bahamas....no comparison to the Keys or the vacation/resort places that most folks go to. Stay on an island in the Abaco, in a beach shack, go out in the morning to "spear" (lobster) dinner then you've been to the Bahama's. Heaven on earth....

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

might also want to let your credit card issuer know that you;re going to Bahamas and for how long. Last thing you want is for them to restrict your credit because of their security measures and possibly thinking your cards were stolen.

And, I'd also suggest scanning in your passport page with the numbers etc, and emailing it to yourself so you can retrieve that info, if you lose it. I also travel with two 'passport' photos in case my passport gets stolen, to make it easier to get new ones. And yes, I keep these separate from the passport.

8. robbie

robbie Well-Known Member

very helpful information, thanks everyone. :)

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

take plenty of sunscreen and have fun! :hurray:

10. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

clark howard

clark howard has a lot of suggestions on his website for foreign travel.

11. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

loved Islamorada(sp?) the best.

http://www.fla-keys.com/islamorada/

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

13. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member