Wal Mart Darwin Award

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by BuzzMyMonkey, Jul 7, 2011.

1. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

On more than one occasion there have been stories like this where a large amount of cash were left in a shopping cart or in a paper bag in the parking lot.

3. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

That's considered a theft? Wouldn't it be more like a finders keepers?

4. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does "Wal-Mart" and "Darwin Award" sound redundant??

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2011
  6. Ima Sheltie

Interesting that they call it "stolen" when it was more trash at that point. Where would ownership end in for something left behind?

7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

I leave my car in a parking lot for days on end. That doesn't make it free for the taking?

I have left my wallet at the beach. That doesn't give someone the right to rifle through it and take my credit cards to run up charges.

Yes, the person is stupid for leaving $36k in a shopping cart and driving off. That doesn't mean it instantly belongs to the next person to find it.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Finders keepers is for the pre-school set. The owner is an idiot, no doubt. But danged if that makes it ok to take property that isn't YOURS. :?

9. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Call me a pre-schooler. :) It's not like it was inside the store while the person was shopping. I certainly wouldn't have just left it there. They might not have been comfortable turning it into Walmart. I would want to know that the person who forgot it got it back. I say take it home, roll around in it for a bit, and then wait to see if anything is reported on the news about it.

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OK, just keep in mind that karma is a witch!! Put yourself in the shoes of the person who lost something valuable or important to them and someone has it and won't give it back due to finders keepers. I think that's a pretty crappy thing to do to someone, but that is just me.

I've had my wallet stolen twice, it sucks beyond belief. The first time I accidentally left it behind in a restaurant. A patron turned it in and some ******* that worked there stole it out of the managers office. Second time was right out of my purse at work. I have no use for thieves, and that is what you would be in my opinion. It's not yours to take. Period.

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Remember this? We can learn a lot from these people...

Utah family finds 8 cash boxes hidden in attic of new home totaling $45,000

"I'm not perfect, and I wish I could say there was never any doubt in my mind. We knew we had to give it back, but it doesn't mean I didn't think about our car in need of repairs, how we would love to adopt a child and aren't able to do that right now, or fix up our outdated house that we just bought," Ferrin said. "But the money wasn't ours to keep and I don't believe you get a chance very often to do something radically honest, to do something ridiculously awesome for someone else and that is a lesson I hope to teach to my children."

12. Ima Sheltie

I never said it was OK, but what makes it "STOLEN"?

13. Ima Sheltie

Please stop following me around you useless troll.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Any time you take property that is not yours, it's theft.

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Sounds like an adequate description of the person who took the money. The only thing police need to do is find out which taxi companies use red vehicles and simply investigate the cabbie who recently has called in sick for a few days in a row.

16. Ima Sheltie

So when you pick up a penny from a parking lot you are stealing.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

You can be dense if you want to..............makes no nevermind to me. :nopity:

18. God'schild

God'schild Well-Known Member

Dense and stupid as it may sound, the penny isn't yours if you find it anymore than the cash was the person's who took it. I realize the difference between a penny and a LARGE sum of cash but it's the "principle" of the issue.

Now, in FLorida, this issue may mean nothing since it seems like you can get away with murder there.................:evil:

19. Ima Sheltie

Hey, just following your lead ;)

20. Ima Sheltie

What if the penny (or any amount of money) is thrown down? Is it still stealing? I heard one time that if you leave your keys in your car the insurance companies do not consider it being stolen if someone takes it....is that true?

And for the Florida thing, do you have proof she killed her child? It seems the problem is the fact that "murder" could not be established.