Does anyone know anything about Social Security benefits

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by mcclouds6, Jul 9, 2011.

1. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

My mother is already on SSDI and her husband of 28 years just walked out on her, she has suffered another stroke now diagnosed with dementia and currently in WakeMed, been there for 4 1/2 weeks. I wanted to find out since she was married for so long if I could get some of her estranged husband social security.

2. siameselover

siameselover Well-Known Member

she might be able to get it based on his earnings if she is retirement age. otherwise she wont be able to get any more. but she can get alimony being married that long and not able to work.

3. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

she needs to call a rep at the SS office to help here with her options

4. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

You have to be married at least 10 years to collect half of your Husband's SS, but I don't see how YOU would get any.

5. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I believe the poster can if they are under 18 and in school.

6. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Oh it never dawned on me that this person is a kid. :oops:

7. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

Request to speak with a social worker at wake med. they can point you in the right direction.

8. mcclouds6

mcclouds6 Well-Known Member

I did not mean ME, I was speaking on behalf of my mother, How she would get any from her husband I should have been more clear when I posted. A doctor at wake medical wrote up a letter and said that she was incompetent so they asked me to fill out guardianship papers, once that becomes approved I will be able to be her representative when it comes to social security.

9. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

10. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

There was a typo in the last sentence of your first post. That's why people thought the money was for you.

Hope you get it straightened out!