Need your help please

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I try not to ask for too much on here but this is too important not to. Okay, I just got back from Bulgaria last week. Not a vacation for those who are wondering. It was the first part of a two part adoption trip. We visited 2 orphanages officially where our kids are located and 1 orphanage "unofficially." Before we left, we were able to raise $1200 via donations. $600 to each orphanage. The one orphanage bought desks, shoes and food for the kids. Many things that you and I would take for granted. Now, the other orphanage bought a video camera, camera, webcam, batteries, balls, and floats for the kids. That may sound like play equipment but let me explain. The video camera & camera is to film the kids in order to help them get adopted. Pictures for future parents. It is also for them to take pictures of the kids so that they have them when they get older and get to go to families. The webcam is actually for us to be able to see our kids while we're here and they are still at the orphanage for the next few months. The balls are so that they have play equipment. They literally have nothing to play with. And I mean nothing. Now, that is where you can help.

This next trip around Sept/ October time frame, we intend to take donations over. We are trying to collect new stuff for the kids. Things we want to take are toothbrushes (any kind & any size will do), coloring books, crayons, markers, outdoor toys, etc. The one orphanage shared a pack of 10 markers, most all out of ink. It was sad to watch. It was like watching them color w/ invisible ink. The outdoor toys are for the older kids. Now, we need things that are light & easy to pack. We were thinking frisbees, hacky sacks, etc. No bubbles b/c they can leak. Glow in the dark sticks they LOVE! Gliders in the form of airplines, etc. I took a glider shaped like a dragon I had bought at Target. The kids at the park ALL hung around and took turns playing w/ it. These kids go for simple. And being that they have nothing to play with, anything is appreciated it.

So, if you can spare a toothbrush, coloring book or anything, it would be greatly appreciated. We're also hoping to take monetary donations this go around to for the one orphanage to buy more food. Hope you all don't mind me asking for play items. But these items make a huge difference in the lives of these children. They really do. And, shoot, you can go to the dollar store for something that is just a buck. Or pack of markers. One orphanage houses kids 0 to 6yo. The other orphanage is for kids 7 to 18yo. Thanks in advance.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!)

2. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Could you pack Beanie Babies, I have several totes under my house and would be happy to go through them and donate some, they are all in new condition. They would squish easy for packing? I would also be happy to donate some new markers or crayons and coloring books for the kids.

3. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Stores around the area usually start having school supplies in July and August so buying some of these supplies should be very inexpensive. :idea:

4. mvenito@nc.rr.com

mvenito@nc.rr.com Well-Known Member

Stephanie - pm'd you :)
    Margie

5. Abdulina

I think Beanie babies would be fine. Again, the one orphanage literally has absolutely nothing. It was heartbreaking to watch. They dumped out the ONE garbage bag full of toys for all the kids to play with. Broken toys. They were all just old pieces. Nothing to play with. No little matchbox cars, nothing. Clothing of any size but the clothing would need to be new. Thanks so much for offering to help. It does indeed make a difference.

stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

6. Abdulina

Okay, we have to step this up folks. We truly need supplies for the kids. I really wouldn't ask if it weren't important. I have 2 suitcases that need filling up. I'm only asking folks to spend a PENNY or a DIME or a QUARTER! Yes, that's it. Staples is having their penny, dime & quarter sales w/ the back to school items. Anything would be helpful. Remember, these orphanages have nothing to start out with. We want to give them some play items. Inflatable balls that pack easy are wonderful. Just wanted to bump this up since many sales are happening right now. Thanks for all those who've donated thus far. It really can change lives. Have a wonderful summer.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Stephanie, i will get out this weekend and pick up some things for ya, sorry i missed this before.

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Stephanie, I'm assuming these kids don't read english .. so regular books would be out. But comic books? Trying to think of things that are easy to pack. I'll pick up some crayons, markers, coloring books as well. Small balls. Slinky. Toy cars.

These are primarily boys, didnt you say before? Or girls too?

9. Abdulina

Kaci, thanks a bunch!

Elims, not all boys. Anything girlie is much appreciative as well. The one orphanage has young kids. Ages 0 to 6/ 7yo. The other orphanage in Shumen has older children, ages 8 to 18. The majority of these children will never ever know the love of a family. Sponge Bob is still very popular w/ the kids over there. Last trip, I took Reni some hairbows/ headbands/ lipsmackers/ & eye shadow. The smile from her entire group the next day was EAR to EAR! They were incredibly appreciative as they never receive make up or even lip gloss. It is treasured as you can imagine as any money coming into the orphanage goes to food & necessities. Even though there are teens there, no make up as it is considered a luxury. Think of the self-confidence just a little lip gloss can provide. Crazy, I know but true. So, long winded answer is anything girls or boys would like. We'll divide it up amongst orphanage. And believe it or not, the older kids orphanage, they are taught English in school. I was stunned when my son to be (10yo) read me a card in English. Books though tend to be heavy when weight is added in the luggage. Comic books would be awesome I think. I do believe they'd really enjoy those. Thanks so much.

I can pick up items anywhere. Thanks to everyone helping out the orphanages.

stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

10. cece

cece Well-Known Member

I will try to go through stuff today. I will PM you to arrange a time to meet.

11. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Ok, cool ... that's what I was thinking, it's fun to see a little girl brighten up with just a new hairbow or something 'girlie' ... that gives me some more ideas. Think I'm gonna have time to do some shopping this weekend.

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Stephanie, i am gonna run out at lunch today to do a little shopping & planning on picking up some things for you, are you going to be out and about this afternoon? i will have them with me at the office in the afternoon here at 42/50.

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Hey Stephanie, i have a few bags here at the office for you, if you are not out this way today, i will just keep them in the office for when you are.

14. Abdulina

Thanks! I can't get there today. Is the office open tomorrow at all or only during the weekdays? I'll send you a pm.

15. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Riccobene - toothbrushes and toothpaste

Stephanie - I'll get some stuff to you before your trip. I was thinking about Dr. Riccobene. I know everytime we get our teeth cleaned he provides us with a new toothbrush and toothpaste. Perhaps if anyone from his office is reading this, you might be able to get something from them. They are such wonderful people.

16. Abdulina

thanks a bunch! We're going to ask our dentist as well. Usually they donate a couple hundred each time. Amazing the basics that we take for granted over here. Can't wait to get back & get them home. Thanks for the support. Kaci, I will make it there one day this week. I can't go though when I have more than 11 kids here b/c van won't seat that many. Had 15 here yesterday & will be 12 here today. Hoping tomorrow is a little more freeing.

Folks, we'll be collecting the entire month of August. August 5th to 7th is tax free weekend. IF you can spare a penny, dime or quarter, please think of these kids. Staples is having those penny, dime and quarter sales right now for things we need to take such as crayons or markers or such.

17. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Hey, Stephanie. I picked up approx. 15 coloring/activity books, 4 1-subject notebooks, and 4 boxes of crayons. I am hoping to grab a few packs of markers and pencils as well. What do you think about those simple, all inclusive craft kits? Something like the ones that Oriental Trading sells? I think I have 1-2 different ones and they have at least 5 in each design.

18. Abdulina

Those would be great! Anything is great to be quite honest. Since we're going to two different orphanages and going to be dealing w/ kids from ages 0 to 18, I have quite a bit of wiggle room as to what we can purchase and bring. Plus, the need is so great that everything and anything will indeed make a difference. Karen has offered a collection box be started at her work for folks to drop stuff off in the month of August. It's at the Edward Jones office in the Lowes shopping center on 42. Anyone can drop off there. I"ll have to make another post so people know. I can not thank you all enough. It will change lives for sure.

19. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Oh, excellent .. great .. was just checking in to see when you needed supplies by, and where/how we could get them to ya (tho I think I still remember where you live).

Carol

20. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I just keep outright forgetting to go shopping, I'm sorry. I think I can get out this week. Kaci, I know where you work (shopping plaza) but not WHERE you work (name of business). Can go shopping then drop off goodies. Thnx!

Carol