Restaurant bans kids under 6.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tukasiya, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Personally I'm all for it.

It's a freaking bar, most people who eat and drink at a bar expect other adults to be loud now and then, they don't expect to hear screaming rug rats....at least none of the people I know that go to "bars"

3. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

The same could said that it's a "freaking" public place and you have to expect kids to be loud now and then, but the way I see it EVERYONE should be expected to at least maintain a respectful noise level. I'm sure some folks don't want to listen to the loud, obnoxious adult who's had too many to drink any more than they want to listen to screaming kids!

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Not all noise is created equal. 8)

5. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

Yes sir, that's pretty high on my list too. When Nextels were more popular it would drive me crazy in a restaurant when I would hear that chirp, the other persons voice and Cletus shouting back in to the handsfree. Now it's just Mr. Bluetooth whether he needs it or not.

As for the 6 year old ban, the place must be pretty successful because they took a chance of alienating customers. But if it's a privately owned business they can do what they want to with it. It reminds me of the hotels and restaurants in Myrtle Beach closing over Memorial Day weekend. Now the NAACP is suing them. If they own it they can do what they want to do, even if it makes no sense to the rest of us.

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I see no problem with it. If bars and clubs can restrict certain ages, I think restaurants should be able to do the same. Isn't there already an airline restricting kids in certain "classes"? Not sure how easy it will be to enforce though. It's tough to tell if a kid is under 6 or not. My youngest looked six until he was 10. I get the owner's point, just not sure I would want the hassle of a ban on young kids. Seems easier to handle problems on a case by case basis, no matter what the offense. But then, I have no idea how to run a restaurant, so this is JMHO.

7. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

NIP IT!!! NIP IT IN THE BUD!!!! :)

8. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

It looks like the real problem is parents (1) not teaching their kids how to behave in public and (2) not having sense enough to keep their kids home when they're tired and cranky. If your kid needs a nap, put him down for a nap, don't take him to a restaurant or a store. I hate Walmart because all the screaming kids get on my nerves, I certainly don't need that when I'm dining out. No, I don't hate kids. I love kids, but I hate to hear them screaming. I do think Old Salty's approach is more reasonable, though, instead of banning them altogether.

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I agree with you about Walmart, I have seriously left half of what I went after just to get OUT of there when that mess starts. Seems as though it's happening more and more. Either that, or my patience is wearing thinner the older my own kid gets. :mrgreen: I never let him make a scene in a store though. He tried that crap exactly ONCE.

There was a screeching brat in the Dr's office yesterday (and not a peds office either). I sure wish the parent had made some sort of effort to shut it up. Small enclosed space and the loudest shrieks I've heard in ages. The nurse and I couldn't even carry on a conversation when I was trying to check in. :evil:

10. tukasiya

I can somewhat tolerate the noise, but that screeching/shrieking is just too much.

11. VolleyGrl

So is it okay for adults to be loud and obnoxious in an establishment where I am spending my money? I was out at a bar on Saturday night and there was a very loud and obnoxious crowd of folks who had clearly had too much to drink. It was annoying. Do I ask the manager to ask them to leave? Am I expected to get up and leave? And if the argument is that it's a bar and that is to be expected so I either deal with it or don't go then it should follow that WalMart is a public place where there are going to be children and children = occasional meltdown so you just have to deal with it or not go as well, right? Bottom line, if you're one of the adults that thinks it's okay for other adults to act like arses in public just because they are in a bar don't go saying you expect my kid to act like an angel at all times when they're out in public.

12. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

I think the problem is parents. Don't threaten kids, just make them a promise and carry through with the promise.

13. tukasiya

Occasional at Wal-Mart? That's funny!

14. VolleyGrl

No offense, but maybe you need to lighten up or it's been a while since you've had kids and so you're more sensitive to the noise. Or maybe you go at the wrong time like the middle of the day, but when I'm there I have more of a problem with the people who look like they belong on the "People of WalMart" site than any kids making noise. :lol:

To be honest, I must block it out or I'm going to all the right places because this is really never an issue for me even when I'm out to eat.

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I think that most folks understand that kids are not quiet all the time. But there is a difference between the occasional kid having a bad day and the parents trying to resolve it.................and the ones who just ignore their brat having a meltdown and acting as if nothing is happening. I can tolerate a baby crying no problem, what I can't stand is a 4 or 5 year old having a fit because momma won't buy him/her a toy and screeching from the back of the store to the front.

We've beat this horse to death on here before for sure. :jester:

16. VolleyGrl

I just thought this :lol:

It is about responsibility. Take responsibility for your kids, take responsibility for yourself and don't act like an arse if you've had too much to drink or make sure you have friends who are willing to take responsibility for you if you've had too much to drink and are acting like an arse in public :lol:

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

It's the restaurant's right to conduct business as they wish (as long as they pass the health codes).

18. tukasiya

"No offense, but maybe you need to lighten up or it's been a while since you've had kids and so you're more sensitive to the noise."

It can't be the noise; my wife says that I don't hear as well as I used to. ; )

Didn't you notice the "wink"? Having said that, yes, my children are grown. Now I know why people tend to get grumpier as they age. I am losing my tolerance for rude behavior, especially from people who can control their offspring but will not.

I remember our first dinner outing after our child was born. We had just ordered our meal when our child starting getting a little more than fussy. What did we do? We asked for it to go and then my wife took our child out to the car while I waited for the order. At this point in life, I expect others to do the same and to quit bothering people like me.

19. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

:iagree: Nothing ticks me off more than being in a restaurant and the people in the booth behind you think it's cute that their child hangs over the back of the booth breathing on your food.

20. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:iagree: That way the parents of kids who do behave aren't punished.