Restaurant bans kids under 6.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tukasiya, Jul 12, 2011.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I caught this in the article...

It's not illegal to ban kids from eating establishments, but some parents consider the move discriminatory, and potentially a violation of rights for certain special needs kids

I don't think it can be considered discriminatory against "special needs kids" if you are including all 6 yr olds.

I personally am all for it. And in VG's example with the group of loud bar patrons, the management should have asked that group to take it down a notch out of courtesy to the other patrons. And, I personally would have asked management to do so.

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Fair enough. :cheers: How do you feel about the loud drunks in the bar? The same?

3. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

Well, the more I drink, the better I can tolerate them.

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

You took the words right out of my mouth:p

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I only had to be taken out to the car once while dining at a restaurant when I was a kid. I knew the consequences for acting a fool and I KNEW mama and daddy would follow through. Don't get me wrong, I didn't require a whole lot in the way of a firm hand on my bottom when I as a kid....I was more the type that if one of them told me what I did disappointed them or made them sad, I was devastated. I think it's because I respected my parents.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I think it's discriminating against lazy parents. :cool:

This is a case where **** poor selfish parents have ruined it for other parents, and what's worse is it's becoming an epidemic.

If your children cannot behave out in public at a restaurant, keep them home or take them to Chuck E Cheese. It is obnoxious to expect other people to tolerate your child's behavior because of this "I'm a paying customer" entitlement people have.

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I <3 Cleo!

:cheers:

8. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Along the same lines:
    While on vacation last week we had what sounded like a family of elephants staying above us! :evil: You could hear the kids running and stomping from one end of the condo unit to the other, jumping on/off the furniture, then running around in circles etc ALL THE FREAKING TIME!! We called the first day after being woken up at 7am and tolerating it for about an hour, (tried to give them some time to calm down) after another hour or more, called again, they sent security over that time. But it continued every day, starting at 7am till late in the night. Occassionally you'd hear them yelling, screaming etc - but it was mostly just the running. On the 2nd day was asked to be moved, they had no open condos. On the 3rd day we called and asked for them to send security to our room to hear for themselves, of course by the time they got there, they had calmed down some - but he still heard it. But he also explained that when they go to the unit to make the noise complaint, they don't tell them who made the call or what the noise is (I guess to keep retaliation in check) so maybe the family didn't realize what the problem was? Anyway, by the 4th day we called again and asked to be moved and they found us another condo. Top floor - no noise!! I did remind my adult kids to step lightly, didn't want anyone calling to complain about us. :lol:

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

It would be smart in that situation for the condos to reserve the lower floors for families with children.

10. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Thats what my DH said also - but I guess thats not always possible.

11. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Common sense is none too common these days.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

:cheers: And that my friend is why YOU are the QUEEN!! :cheers:

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:iagree::iagree::cheers:

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

yep! :hurray:

15. Tit4Tat

Tit4Tat Well-Known Member

This is what most need...:chillpill:. You think the world revolves around you? ba hahahahha hahaha...*ugh* eye roll.

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Not entirely, remember the Walgreen's in Greensboro! 8)

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Honestly it's the mangement's responsibility and if they were bothering people then I would have honestly said something to either the management or bartenders as that is their responsibility by law in an alcohol serving environment. Seen it many times personally, though not personally to me.

18. Deanna

Deanna Guest

Kids or Parents

Young kids 2 or under really don't understand that what they're doing is inappropriate regardless of where they are. For that age group screaming & making noise is how they communicate they need attention or they are attempting to join in on all the conversations they can hear that would surround them in a restaurant.

With that being said & any parent with 1/2 a brain would also know this about their child. I believe the parent is the one to blame for 1) bringing a young child into that situation 2) allowing the child to get to a volume that is clearly not acceptable. 3) really shouldn't take a child in that age group to a restaurant out of respect for others

Kids ages 3-6 should have been taught & put into practice some self control (ie: manners). Kids start school at age 5 where they are expected to sit for long durations & be quiet. So if there are kids in this age group exceeding acceptable volumes in public areas I believe the kid is aware they are doing it & the parent should then stop the behavior before it becomes uncontrollable.

With that being said, if the parent does nothing & allows it to continue the parent should be banned from that public place. If the parent cannot go there the kid certainly won't be there! So it does fall back on the parent ultimately.

We all have horror stories of screaming or out of control kids but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! Parents need to wake up, grow up & step up.

19. scbuff

scbuff Well-Known Member

sounds like a great idea. I can't stand trying to have a nice dinner only to have it spoiled by screaming kids, because their parents don't know how to control their kids or teach them manners

20. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I had to tell this story. This weekend my oldest daughter and I were at a Wendy's in Morrisville. We were in the bathroom, and this little girl came in screaming at the top of her lungs "Leave me alone!" and she kept screaming it. I thought she was with another kid, but then I noticed she was saying it to her mom! Her mom asked the little girl for permission to open the door. The girl just ignored her. When the girl was washing her hands her mom told her to wait for her, but she started walking out of the door! The mom had to pick her up and take her in the stall with her and the little girl was kicking and screaming. My daughter and I couldn't believe it. It's one thing to let that go on in your own home, but to allow a child to scream (I mean loud!) over and over again in front of other people was just ridiculous. :x I told my daughter if she embarrassed me like that in public, I'd embarrass her too. I'd have nothing to lose at that point! She couldn't believe a kid could get away with that behavior.