Book Clubs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Jul 12, 2011.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Anyone know anything about any book clubs in our area? i read about friends of mine on FB in other states going to monthly book club meetings and it sounds like a lot of fun. Discussing the book you are reading and just hanging out with a bunch of women all reading the same book sounds like something interesting.

2. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

I don't know of any, but I would also be interested in joining one.

3. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

There are at least 3 Book Clubs in Clayton. They have been in existance for at least 50-70 years. By invitation only. My understanding all 3 clubs have a maximun number of members allowed by their By-laws and all are at the full number. I also heard there was a Glen Laurel Book Club. Maybe some one can give you info about that Book Club. Does not seem it would be difficult to organize a new Book Club.

4. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Kaci,

I know of a Book Club in a subdivision in Clayton that would love to have you participate. Let me know if you want the information.

Sherry

5. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about this type of thing a couple days ago. I have an aunt in NJ that is part of a book club and she really enjoys it. She's sent a few of the books down to me when she's done with them becuase she knows how much I love to read.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

thks Sherry, i was hoping for something closer to 4042 but do you know what type of books they read and how often they meet?

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

New 4042 book club?

8. sarahmama

sarahmama Well-Known Member

I would love to be in a book club. Not sure I really want one so strict as to have by laws.

9. Sherry A.

They read all types of books and meet once a month. Kind of thought you wouldn't want the drive but they'd love to have you.

Sherry

10. Sherry A.

There's a book club in your subdivision. PM me if you want any information.

Sherry

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thks Sherry, i will definitely keep it in mind but after talking to a few people, i think we may have enough interest to actually start one in the 4042 area. So here's my idea - if you are interested just pm me or post and if we have enough then we could meet one evening in a public place, since most people do not feel comfortable going to someone's home they don't know, and all sit down and decide what type of bookclub we want to have. i personally would like it casual, meet once a month & take turns suggesting the book for the next month after discussing the book we all just read and doing it in a public restaurant is good for me, a glass of wine never hurts. i personally am pretty open to just about any kind of book other than romance novels but that would be something we would have to determine for the group. i like the idea also of no bylaws and the group is open to anyone that wants to join. So if any of you are interested, just let me know:cheers:

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I like the idea of having someone else pick the book, even some genre I dont usually read. I'm willing to read outside my usual 'comfort zone'. If I dont like it, that's what the group's for ... to discuss! It'll be a good way to be introduced to new styles of writing. I'm game, depending on when/where y'all meet. Will PM ya.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Idea for your club. Have every member purcase a book of their choice. Rotate the books every month. That way you get to read a lot of books and only purchase one book for each cycle. You only read one book a cycle. This is the way most local book clubs operate. In addition to being a book club it is a social club.

14. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

You are welcome to browse and borrow your books from your local Cleveland Library

The Cleveland Library and its volunteers grew its collection to more than 140,000 books and movies in less than three years, with incoming books piling up in our receiving area, until we can get another 20,000 bar codes in. We do need book loving volunteers to handle this many books. A new project for some volunteers will be to log duplicates so we can tell what assets we have in quantity for special projects-like reading clubs. Book clubs operate out of Wake Libraries and use special packs as well as the books in stock. Our patrons asked us to keep multiple copies in off-site storage so they could view more titles in our limited space. For questions call the service desk at 919-661-6565 or stop by 5533 N.C. HWY 42 W STE D96, Garner, NC 27529. TIP: Drive through the opening between Bojangle's and Monkey Ink to the back parking lot, turn right and go to the end of the drive, then turn left and park near the Pepsi machine - $1.25 for 20 oz. We need more volunteers to handle questions, such as: can you find me the books on the following list-and they were almost all college library holdings instead of public library and the list was several pages long-perhaps 150 books.

Web site: http://4042needs.org/library/
    Hours: Mondays 1-9
    Wednesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays 9-5

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron, i will be sure to bring that up when we have a planning meeting.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Ok folks, have gotten a good response through pm's and looking at maybe having the first meeting one night maybe at Terrafin (the sun room is good for discussions) the week of August 8th. Let me know either here or through pm what night works best for everyone that has shown interest. The only restriction i have is that if we do it Thursday night, it would have to be at the earliest 7pm cause i have to attend a Chamber Ribbon Cutting that evening. Looking forward to this, i am getting excited now:hurray:

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Count me in, I think it'd be a good chance to break out of what my normal genre of book reading is... James Patterson, Iris Johansen, Tami Hoag. Thursdays are good. :grouphug:

18. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

sounds good, any night next week works for me ;)

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

so far it looks like we are leaning toward next Thursday the 11th at 7pm at Terrafin - i am so excited!! If anyone who has not responded yet would like to come you are all more than welcome, the more the merrier.

20. Karmol

Karmol Well-Known Member

This sounds like fun! Assuming my hubby is home in time to take care of the kiddos I will be there! I look forward to meeting everyone!