Construction at White Oak

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by chumphr, Jul 12, 2011.

1. chumphr

chumphr Active Member

Anyone know what they are putting in across the street??

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Are you referring to the Timber drive Extension? If you are talking about the construction right near the light at the Timber Drive entrance then that is a new road / connector that will meet up with Timber drive over by Food Lion at Hwy 50 and Timber drive.

3. chumphr

chumphr Active Member

Oh bummer....lol! I had heard they might be putting some sort of a mall in there :)

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

that project was rumored years ago......

5. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Six Flags

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

yes the developer was going to build an enclosed mall there when the Timber Dr extension was built. JC Penny, Sears, had plans on building web sites. Belk was talking about relocating from Garner Station etc. That all died out even before the economy tanked.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  7. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

However, the new road having been approved and underway may make it more attractive for more retail on that side in the future.

8. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I hope so. i follow several of the retail construction web site. none of the major guys or mid major for that matter have any construction plans. retailers doing mainly renovation work and still laying low on major spending.

9. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

It looks like it's getting ready for blacktop soon, yay! I'll be glad when it opens. I can leave work, take Western to Hammond and keep straight on to head to the wellness center. No more fighting I-40 and the stupid light and traffic at 70 and White Oak.

10. rrgreennc

rrgreennc Well-Known Member

Now if they would just extend Timber Drive East into the back of Greenfield business park to give another way in to White Oak, that would be awesome. The town of Garner had suggested that they would eventually put in another way to access White Oak from 70, but I've heard nothing about this in many years. It sure would be nice to have a way to avoid that left turn from US70 West onto White Oak Rd.

11. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Sometimes when it's backed up, I turn right (before that light), then turn left onto Old Garner Rd/White Oak and go straight across.

12. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Ain't gonna happen. This would require them to go over or under I-40.

13. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Actually they do have plans on going over 40 and attaching to greenfield parkway. But they have no time frame on when that part is suppose to happen. Just when Garner was starting the extension I had seen it on ABC11 about them eventually connecting to Greenfield.

14. smallone

smallone Well-Known Member

I learned that lovely trick as well. Saves time!

15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I've also gone straight through the light before, then hit the first break in the median, pull a u-turn and come back to take a right on White Oak Rd. Thats been a timesaver when the traffic in both turn lanes has been real backed up too.