Restaurant bans kids under 6.

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by tukasiya, Jul 12, 2011.

1. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

How about some compassion???

People are so quick to judge based on a brief moment in time that you happen to see. You have no idea what that Mom or Dad are going through. Just because you see this little outburst doesn't mean the parent is lazy, or that the child is out of control all the time. Maybe their sweet little angel has recently turned 2 or 3 when these temper tantrums come into full swing and this is the first time they have been out of control and Mom or Dad is just as shocked as you are that their baby is acting this way.

Maybe they don't want to spank the child in front of all you people for fear that someone would call it child abuse.

Maybe it's a single Mom doing the best she can with a Autistic child whos outburst are so inconvenient to your few moments in time.

All I'm saying is the very LAST thing that a Mom or Dad needs in that moment of time is a hateful smirk from some stranger. How about a glance of reassurance or a compassionate "this too shall pass" offer of humanity!

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

99% of the people here have compassion for the situations you mentioned. No one is disputing that kids have a bad day or there may be extenuating circumstances. It's the parents who do NOTHING to remedy the situation that tends to get the ire up. I don't care what "issue" a kid has, it's a parents responsiblity to try to stop the racket. Take them OUTSIDE if they are in an enclosed space with other folks. It's that simple. Was my kid perfect? Heck NO! But I didn't expect anyone else to put up with his crap.

3. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I didn't give a hateful smirk to her. I smiled at her as if it was totally normal behavior. I'm just venting here about it. Wow, you jump to conclusions.:?

4. Allioop

Yep, and this should be common sense. (which there isn't enough of these days :?) I am a parent and I know how hard it is to keep kids disciplined. I know we all have bad days. I also know it's unacceptable my my child to continue not once, not twice, many, many times to scream at me in public. I have compassion for the child, not the parent. The child is only doing what she's been taught is acceptable or what she can get away with...unless of course this was highly unusal for the girl (giving her the benefit of the doubt).

5. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I'll say it, I give a hateful glare if the screaming or out of control child isn't taken outside, quieted down, or gotten under control pretty quick. :?

6. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yep, me too.

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I do too, heck I give my own self and kids a glare. lol

8. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

LOL...EXACTLY! the 'stank' eye...it even works on someone elses kids....I've done it in the grocery. 8)

9. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Therein lies the problem, in my book. Some things you direct or tell a child to do, in a nice manner of course. You as the parent, don't have to ask your child's permission to do anything! :banghead: Excuse me honey, is it ok if mommy spanks your little butt now for being rude?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  10. steve

steve Well-Known Member

I agree with Cleo as usual. As for whether children under six are good to have in a restaurant, I say it depends on how you cook 'em.

11. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

A few months ago, we went to visit ds and family. The day we leave, it is a mini tradition to go out to eat somewhere whether it be breakfast, lunch, or whatever. My precious grandkids are just as precious as anyone else's. The oldest used to sit and watch his little dvd player for very long periods of time and not a peep from him. Now there are three little angels. This particular day we had finished eating and were visiting. The two boys were getting a bit boisterous. I expected ds or wife to put an end to it. It was during the lunch rush and there were a lot of customers. I finally nicely but a bit firmly told my grandsons they were really cute and we all loved them very much but I just didn't think everyone in that restaurant thought the same way their family does. They piped right down. I was kind of surprised that was all it took. Sometimes if these parents would just say something to the kids instead of ignoring them, it would help. (I would not be above snatching them from the back of a booth.)
    On the other hand when my darlings were little or young, I didn't mind walking out of a restaurant or store. They never gave me much trouble going out to eat.

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Children tend to live up to your expectations, whether they are good or bad expectations. I expect my kid to behave in public (and at home) so that is what he does. Again, he is not perfect by any means, but he knows that he is to be civilized in public and has been taught that from very early on.

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I'll say it again.....beat your kids folks. Beat them til they have the fear of God put in them.

You'll be glad you did.

I beat the ever living **** out of my 7 year old about a year ago and he won't so much as take a dump with out first asking nicely. Taking him in public is a breeze.

14. Allioop

:lol: I'm really bad at hateful glares. I chicken out. If you knew me, the only people I give hateful glares to are my kids. :lol:

15. Allioop

:lol: You give yourself a glare! I'd love to see that.

16. Allioop

I thought I'd add to this discussion that sometimes I appreciate stranger input when kids do something bad. :mrgreen:One time we were at Dollar Tree and my daughter was moody and mad at her little sister and yelled at her, "I wish you were never born!" The lady behind us in line told her Santa Claus heard that and would not be happy. I loved it! My daughter was so embarrassed. She shut up the rest of time we were in that store. When we got to the car she was crying saying she was so embarrassed. I thought it was the best thing that could have happened to her in that situation.