$300 - $450....I don't get it!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Webmaster, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

So I was in Best Buy yesterday and happened to see the display for the Dyson "bladeless" fans (or air multipliers as they like to call them.) Ok, pretty slick technology and design...and then I see the price tags on them...from $300 to $450! Is it just me or is that a steep price for a device that does the same thing as a $20 standard fan but doesn't buffet you? I've been thinking back and trying really hard to remember some time in my life when I was using a fan and thought "wow....this buffetting is driving me nuts!"

Am I missing something? Is Dyson ahead of their time with this product or did they solve a problem that didn't exist? If someone has a "this Dyson Air Multiplier doesn't buffet me and has changed my life" story, I'd like to hear it! 8)

2. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

LOL, saw one at lowes today and thought it was pretty cool, I initially thought it was 29.95 but when I looked closer I was stunned. $299.99, and its one you'd put on a table or stand. Crazy

3. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

I like my PELONIS it's whisper quiet and move a lot of air!!

4. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I guess its for people who have it all and fascinated by the technology. I, for one, like a little white noise. I can't stand for it to be dead quiet...especially when trying to sleep.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It is not just you, Webbie. Dyson vacuums are amazing and worth every penny, but I cannot figure this one out. The tech is cool, of course, but the price tag doesn't match. If they are pricing based on market they are way off, but they may be pricing based on manufacturing cost and that is why it is so high.

Again, a lot of people were asking the same thing when Dyson vacuums came out. There is no comparison to competitor's after you've used a Dyson. And that is coming from someone who bought an early base model. I think their newer ones are even better.

6. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I've wondered the same thing about the price, and the only conclusion I could come to is 'because they can'. If they can make the same net profit with a low volume/ high unit price model as they can on a high volume/ low unit price model then it's a no-brainer.

On another tack, I've seen the adds for the fan and I can't see how it moves air with no moving parts. If it works on the venturi principle it still needs a compressor; magnetic induction would still have moving parts. Does it ionize the air to create an electrical imbalance that moves air?

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I went to Milwaukee's Sumerfest a couple of weeks ago and Dyson had a booth full of these things and the crowd was packed in there like sardines (the unbearable midday heat probably had something to do with it), but I did not see too many picking up the literature.

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I can't remember which issue, but Consumer Report tested vacuums and found that a Hoover under $100 was as good as the Dyson. Can't remember the model though.

9. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I wonder if Dyson uses the same montra the drug companies use for over priced drugs. We have to charge this much to recoupe our R&D costs. Not to hijack the thread but you ever notice that once they recoupe their costs the prices still never come down nor do they release it so there can be generic brands. And I bet Dyson won't release their faces designs to keep the market artificially high. JMHO

10. 27577

27577 Guest

i have 4 or 5 of them. really nice in the kids room and make an interesting conversation piece in the living room

11. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

You really have over a thousand dollars worth of fans at your house?

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

bs..

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

are those the type of fans that are up at Tavern in the Grove? If so, they do a great job in an atmosphere like that.

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Nope, those are smoke eaters.

15. alen

alen Well-Known Member

LOL....nice connection!

16. 27577

27577 Guest

i have paid way more for a detail. what i was saying was 85$ for 5 hours of that guys time was a waste for him.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Waste of time? Seriously? $85 would buy a cart of groceries, a tank of gas or two, part of your utitlity bill..............

How long would you have to work at McDonald's to make $85? I'm betting a lot longer than 5 hours.

My first job was making $3.15 an hour, I would sure as heck have cleaned a car for $85 for 5 hours. :cheers:

18. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

That $3.15 was righteous bucks during the Depression though wasn't it?

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol::lol::lol: Dern, I ain't THAT old. :cheers:

It just amazes me that some people think they are too good to actually do manual labor, if I had a kid to feed or bills to pay, dang right I'd detail a car for $85, beats food stamps or welfare.