Virus - Fever only?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I wondered if anyone has ever heard of having a fever for a week but no other symptoms and no infection? I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday because she's had a fever off and on since last Thursday. They tested her blood and gave her a strep test and tested her ears for infection. There were no signs of infection. It was concluded that she just had a virus. So tonight her fever is back up to 103. I'm getting worried, and I wondered if this has anything to do with the heat we've had lately? Has anyone else or your kids had a fever for this long? :?

2. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I have never experienced this, but I would be VERY persistent with the doctors. They overlook things and make mistakes all the time, and a fever that high is nothing to play around with. For some people, Meningitis symptoms can be fever and slight headache before it turns into more serious symptoms. If you feel like something is off, you should keep on the docs to look for other possible answers. I hope she gets better soon!

3. Allioop

Thank you so much. I will be persistent with the doctors. I just hate seeing my little girl not herself and I don't want it to be something worse than a virus. :cry:

4. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

my boys have had many virus' that were only fever. as long as I kept ibuprofen in them, they were fine...the minute it wore off, yucky. And it lasted exactly 7 days....

aggravating.

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

As long as she is acting fine otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much. Little kids tend to spike high fevers and while they are worrisome for the parents, they are the body's way of fighting off infection. They are almost always higher at night than they are during the day. If she starts being lethargic and not eating, drinking, then I would be more pro-active. Caveat: I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV.

I ran a slight one at night for years on and off, til I finally found out that it could be the allergies I've recently been diagnosed with. :?

6. Allioop

KB, this makes me feel so much better. Thank you. It will be 7 days today.

7. Allioop

But you're wise, and I respect your opinion! Thank you. This makes me feel better as well.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, I have you fooled then! I've just been there. :jester: But seriously, just keep doing what you are doing, a fever alone is not too much to worry about. :cheers: I think kids just like to keep us in a tizzy all the time. Mine is sick right now with a summer cold I'm hoping doesn't turn to bronchitis, it's sounding a little rough.

9. KellBell

all those things kdc said too.

and make sure she is drinking and eating a lil somethin' somethin' :grouphug:

10. Allioop

I am so relieved! I called the doctor this morning because her fever went back up to 103. I took her back in and found it's a UTI. Why they didn't check for this Tuesday, I don't know. :banghead: At least they did not charge me for this visit and prescribed an antibiotic. Thank God. :)

11. KellBell

your daughter never mentioned it hurting when she went potty? :confused: or is she a baby?

and I'm glad you finally figured out what was wrong....

12. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Oh, good grief!! That poor baby!!!

13. Allioop

Thanks! I asked her over and over and she said it did not hurt when she went. The doctor asked her Tuesday too. She's had UTIs before so she knows how it feels. I think it's odd that she had a UTI with no symptoms other than fever. She's 9 years old by the way.

14. Allioop

I know. The doctor she saw Tuesday was not my favorite. We to Growing Child Peds, and some of the docs are great...others, not so much. :x

I also feel bad because she was signed up for summer camp this week and has had to miss it. I keep thinking if only I had known last week when it started she would have felt well enough to go to camp. Oh well... :(

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  15. KellBell

It is odd she didn't have anything but fever. I am glad she is diagnosed and she should be feeling better in a day or two.

16. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Good for you for being persistent. I stand by what I said earlier about docs missing things, especially with kids who don't always know what symptoms they might be having. Glad you figured it out and that she will be on her way to recovery!:hurray: