Suggestions for DS's 11th birthday gift

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by blessed2adopt2, Jul 28, 2011.

1. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Hi, DH and I are looking for suggestions for our son's 11th birthdy. DS wants either a PSP or an Ipod touch. Until the sprig for our money tree takes root, that's not happening! Goodness, where do kids come up with these ideas? He has a DS Lite and lots of games for it, so even if we did go the PSP route, he'd have to rebuy the games.

He does have an Ipod nano. DH was looking to upgrade it to a newer version with video and a camera.

We already own a DSi, so that would not really be a gift for him.

In the back of my mind, I'm thinking what happened to less expensive fun toys. Does everything have to be electronic?

I'm thinking more along the lines of taking a few friend to Frankie's (late in the day when it's not too hot). Please suggest ideas!!! He is a great kid.

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

My son just turned 11. We don't do electronics much here. I agree w/ the simple is better concept. We've always had the parties at our house. Whether kids are at a house or a bounce house place or bowling alley, they'll have fun no matter what. They're w/ friends and have cake. Can't get any better than that. LOL. We just had a party for our son who turned 11. We had a pool party (we have a pool), cooked hot dogs and had a pinata. Rest of the time, they just played w/ the outdoor toys or swam or jumped on the trampoline. Very simple and very inexpensive. No pool, no problem. During the months my kids have b-days during the winter time, we kind of have a dance party type atmosphere or make it a movie type party. Very easy & also inexpensive. And, if daring enough, we always let the kids have friends spend the night. They think that is so awesome. I make my own cakes. But then again, I used to work in a bakery & can decorate them myself. However, most the time, they just want a real simple cake. It's whatever they request. Keep it simple for sure and they really will enjoy it. There are some great party sites for kids' parties. Family fun and Kaboose come to mind as sites to check out.

As for the gift, no idea. Our son just got Beyblades. He loves those things. Other kids gave him money, bought him bey blades, water guns, etc. Maybe some future movie passes for him & a friend? Not sure. Good luck. Birthdays are always tough.

stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

3. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

Just a question and a thought for you: why would he need the video/camera on his Ipod? As he goes into middle school, that is when the students start taking pictures they shouldn't in bathrooms, etc. Peer pressure to do this is a powerful thing, and the kids don't think twice about it. That's also the problem with the camera phones middle school/high school students have.

4. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

My suggestion at this age is to gift an experience of a trip or outing that would be extra special...i.e. rock climbing, horseback riding, fishing, a canoe trip, a theme park outing, camping trip with friends... The memory of the experience will far outlast any "toy" you buy him.

5. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I think around that age, my son had a "football" themed party. We cooked hamburgers and hot dogs, had football video games set up in the game room, and the boys played a big football game. I had tons of football decorations...still have them in storage if needed!

If you want to take a group of kids somewhere, here are a couple of suggestions:

Tag-ur-it in Smithfield...http://www.bbcamusements.com/menu.html
    and The climbing Place in Fayetteville...http://www.theclimbingplace.com/.

Haven't been to either one but they both look like fun!

***Found another one! Howell Theatre in Smithfield...http://www.howellmovies.com/groups/

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Another thing I thought of...boys that age aren't much for sit-down having cake & ice crean anymore. Think about a giant cookie from the mall: www.greatamericancookies.com or I think even 'Food Lion' does them now. They're great for kids to just grab a piece and go!

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

in this heat, if you don't have a pool, you could always go the water balloon, water gun party, did that one year for my son and friends and they had a blast.

8. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Cake Pops ROCK! They are my fave "go to" treat now and almost every family member asks me to make them for their kids' bdays!

9. blessed2adopt2

blessed2adopt2 Well-Known Member

Thanks

Thanks so much for all your responses.

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We did this one year too and it went over very well. After they finished off the 2 liter drinks, we filled them with water and shot them off with the air compressor. They must have done that for an hour, at least. We even used it as a lesson by having them fill to different amounts and predict the outcome for height of the bottle. Just make sure you have an adult to help and understanding neighbors!!

11. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

And if you have a good hill or incline in your yard, a big tarp and a sprinkler make a great slip 'n slide!!

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

how about a trip to an afternoon adventure with a few friends, like a zip line or the zoo....

13. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

ok throw my two cents in

My cousin does this at every party in the summer...Always a hit, and always fun. Of course, you need a pool. We have Watermelon Fights in the pool. Grease a watermelon with Vaseline or generic petroleum jelly. Have two teams, on opposite sides of the pool. It works better if you can't really touch the bottom (maybe just have to bob on your tip toes to touch) and one person throwing the watermelon

Rules are simple. Hands on the sides till the melon hits the water, and you and your team have to get the melon out on the opposite side (sorta like football) No punching, or intentional injuring of anyone, must keep in mind the strongest swimmers still need air...so no dunking Hands are to be moving to the watermelon at all times, unless blocking another person.

Like i said, we play this everytime we can, and girls join in too (and i'm not talking about lil kids, but ages 12-50+ play this) we just are mindful and respectful. After the melon cracks, we break it open and throw the watermelon gush at each other then hose off....Usually go thru about 3-4 watermelons a party.

Of course, the one with the Vodka in it stays in the house for later!

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Ok I see this thread went off course to party ideas, not gifts.

So here is my idea for gifts, get him a lawn mower, maybe a rake and shovel a wheel barrow. These are things he can use and really learn something.

15. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Thought the OP did ask for ideas...:?:

And as far as gift ideas, the child at 10 years old, already owns more electronic devices than my 17 year old, DH and I put together. The only way to satisfy the child is to go bigger and better and the OP already stated that was not an option.
    If I can think of a SENSIBLE gift for a child that age, I will be sure to post it!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  16. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

relax- I'm going off the header which said gifts, which I didn't see much of.

17. Soccermom81

Soccermom81 Well-Known Member

Why not go to game stop and trade in the DS and games for the PSP and some games. If he is wanting the PSP let him decide. He can choose.

18. dontbah8r

dontbah8r Member

A trip to the Zipline park in Fayetteville with some friends would be a great b-day present and provide lots of fun. It is really AWESOME and something they would be talking about for awhile.

19. kevinsmithii

kevinsmithii Well-Known Member

Buy a man a fish he'll eat for a day, teach him to fish he'll eat for life. Get DS a lawn mower he can cut grass and earn enough money to buy what he wants.

20. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

He can come cut my grass! 30 bucks! .5 acres