instrument rentals

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Okay, I've heard all kinds of things about the band director at CMS.(I take it all w/ a grain of salt b/c I really don't know him so I can't judge yet; giving him benefit of the doubt for sure) So, we have decided to rent first to see if my son can handle being in this type of class. Plus, I've heard many, many quit the first month of 6th grade anyhow. I need to know of some rental places around here. I've searched online for used trumpets but have found none on here & none on craigslist that are available. Any suggestions where to rent one? And preferably not in Cary. Just too far. I want to believe he'll keep up w/ this but I'm not so sure. I was in band all through school & even in college w/ the marching Pirates. I would love for at least one of my kids to have the band experience. But, I also want to be logical in case he doesn't have a passion for it or can't do it. We're still unsure if he can physically play due to his finger deformations. Renting is our best option for now. Let me know. thanks in advance.

Stephanie- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I would think that the school would provide this information. The best I remember, we rented through a company provided by the school/band class when DS was at Cleveland Middle.

3. Abdulina

they did give info but was wanting other info as it seemed pricey. That & the info I had got thrown out by oldest daughter on a cleaning mission(she has severe OCD..no lie). Did you rent? Thanks for any insight you can provide.

stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

4. On the go

On the go Well-Known Member

I don't think there are many if any options in the immediate area.

5. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

Tarheel Music in Smithfield may rent, if not, they can probably tell you who does. When my son was in middle school, we were going to rent a horn thru the school but then he switched to percussion...so we bought him a snare drum. We ended up having to go out to Cary to return the unused instrument!

Still have the drum, case, stand, sticks, practice pad and books if anyone needs them...will sell fairly cheap!

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I think Tarheel still has the rental program. My kids briefly took lessons there and they had tons of them in the back. We had my son's trumpet cleaned there last spring and they still had them then. REALLY nice people and good for local business.

7. flutebandmom

flutebandmom Member

Early summer I went to Tarheel Music to pick up daughter's piccolo from a cleaning and they were closing the store permanently. Owner told me that there wasn't enough business to keep the store open. Closest place to rent now is going to be in Raleigh.

8. Abdulina

Thanks for the heads up.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

9. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

I rent a sax for my son - - it's thru the school but it's from Music & Arts. Before I decided to rent from them I had checked around on prices. Tarheel was about the same (may have been a few dollars more) as Music & Arts.....so I chose to go with them since it was thru the school. Have taken it to the Cary office twice and had repairs done with no problems at all.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

DH recommended Walt's Guitar in Fuquay...said he had good prices and is a nice guy. Here is the website: http://www.waltsguitarsandproaudio.com/
    Tarheel Music seems to be pricey! DH also mentioned checking out Music Go Round and Sam Ash in Raleigh and perhaps Musician's Friends online.

11. IncognitO

IncognitO Well-Known Member

when my son started Middle School band, we bought a cheap trumpet on Ebay, it was a no-name brand but was new and he played it all thru middle school and 1st year of HS. in Middle school he was in the Jazz band and made all county/all district so it was a decent instrument.

we paid less for the trumpet than 1 year rental.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Burrage Music Company in Raleigh rents (or at least they used to) instruments.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I don't know what you have heard about the band teacher at CMS, but he was my son's teacher for 3 years and was a typical serious band instructor. He didn't put up with any crap. I liked him.

You can also rent instruments from the Academy Of Music, that is where you will go to buy the band book anyway.

14. Abdulina

thanks. Heard all kinds of things about his attitude and how mean he was. Like I said though, I take all hearsay with a grain of salt. Tell my kids the same thing and not to listen to the rumor mill. It has been difficult though finding someone for him. Thanks for letting me know. I only met him once. No smile. Not a once. I thought that was odd but maybe that's just me. I try to smile when I meet folks. Not everyone is like that. Told my son to form his own opinion and not listen to the other students.

We've decided it's just a little more to buy it off ebay and can resell if it turns out he doesn't like it. I do hope he does. It would be nice to have ONE kid out of 10 that enjoys music. Thanks for all the opinions and advice out there. It was very much appreciated.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

He's just not a super smiley guy. lol He is a good instructor, he takes his band class/performances very seriously.

16. AppleFritters

AppleFritters Well-Known Member

I agree Music & Arts is great. It was the only place I could find willing to rent Mirambas.

17. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

Neighborhood Academy of Music rents and has great prices!