Direct TV?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Steeler_Fan, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Steeler_Fan

Steeler_Fan Well-Known Member

Anyone have Direct TV? If so do you like it? Pros/Cons of it?

What happens if DVR fails? Do they just exchange it?
    What about the install? Do they use Cable lines already in the home? What about for the dish? I don't want wires running down the side of my home.

Looking to switch from TimeWarner HD, we have had them for about 10 yrs, but service call after service call they don't seem to get things fixed or if they do it only lasts a month, then having problems again.

Thanks for any info you can share.

2. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Just make sure if you sign up for the "special price" make sure it's for 2 years the length of the contract, not one year b/c they will jack up the price the 2nd year.
    No major problems

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

By the way, new customers get the sunday ticket for free this year.

4. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

We had it for 7 years and loved it. The only reason we switched to dish is because of price. We were looking to decrease our spending and Directv is kind of pricey (but worth it). I would never go back to twc!

5. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

We have DirecTV too. We got it for the Sunday Ticket which is pricey but cheaper than going to the bar every game in the long run. We noticed a significant improvement in the quality of the HD picture over TWC when we switched. The only complaint is the lack of service during heavy rain but it doesn't happen too often.

6. Steeler_Fan

Thanks everyone for the info so far. I am really thinking I am going to go with DirecTV. What do the rest of you do for home phone and internet? Still TWC? The only reason I need phone is for alarm system, right now we have phone from TWC and internet. I think I would want to at least keep the internet from TWC as we have the extreme service.

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I have my phone and internet from TWC. Although the phone will likely get nixed next month.

8. harleygirl

You DO NOT have to have a home phone any longer for your alarm system, FYI. Read up on "Telguard" service. If you have any questions PM me.

No home phone (cancelled it in June)
    Internet is Century Link (34/mo)

9. Steeler_Fan

Right now we have phone (TWC) that the alarm uses and also it comes with a cell backup. So if the phone line goes down it still works, it just the 2 way does not work. Does Telguard work with any type of alarm system? Wonder if it would save me money in the long run?

Thanks for the info.

10. Steeler_Fan

I found the info online, that very cool. Thanks

11. harleygirl

No problem. :mrgreen:

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

If you choose DTV....shoot me a PM so I can give you my acct number. They will give both give us a $100 "referral" credit.

Steeler fan to another steeler fan. :lol:

13. harleygirl

Oh you ***! I was gonna tell him! I forgot. :oops:

I'm a steeler fan also, so there. :p

I need to calm down on the MtDews today... SMOKE BREAK.

14. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Go tell your boyfriend. :lol:

15. harleygirl

:lol:
    I believe I will ...............out

16. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Century offers naked dsl now?

17. gdogg79

gdogg79 Well-Known Member

How do you like your CenturyLink service? I have been thinking about switching to something cheaper than TWC but the download speeds are slower with other options and I'm afraid I'll notice the difference.

18. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Nevermind, I just called em. Not only did I drop my home line, I upgraded from 3mb to 8mb, signed a 1 year contract, and reduced my bill from 80 a month to 39.99 + the other bs charges. That's a home run for me. It's about time they start competing with TWC.

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I had Centurylink until about a month ago. My service always dropped out causing me to reboot my modem at least 3-4 times a day. Maybe I had a bad modem but I was tired of it.

20. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Is that just for internet? For $80/mo ($90 with tax/fees), I get Roadrunner and digital cable with hd programming with TWC. I thought that was a pretty good deal. I dropped the home phone a while back...with 5 cell phones in the house, it is NOT needed.