Orphanage donation site

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Abdulina, Aug 1, 2011.

1. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Hello everyone! I know there is another thread but this might be a bit easier for folks to find. For those that don't know why we're doing this, please go to the need your help thread a few spaces down. Basically, we are collecting supplies for the orphanages in Bulgaria and will be hand delivering them most likely in October when we pick up our newest children. A wonderful member has volunteered her office space in the Lowes Foods shopping center for a drop off site for supplies. It is suite 210 next to Johnston Family Pharmacy. It is tax free weekend w/ many sales happening. If you can spare a dollar's worth, please consider these kids. It will be going to hundreds of kids at two different orphanages. We're collecting all sorts of things. Nothing liquid obviously since we do have to go through customs. Umm, let's put it this way. They recently confiscated 300 toothbrushes that were individually wrapped that someone was bringing over. They lit up was the problem. So, the toothbrushes never made it to the orphanages. Anyhow, keeping it to crayons, markers, coloring books, girlie things like make up and hair stuff, gliders, kites, hacky sacks, frisbees, etc. Simple things to play w/ that we'd most likely take for granted. When I say they have nothing to play with outside or inside, it is not an exaggeration. They dumped out a black garbage bag full of "toys" for us to play w/ our daughter. This was the entire bag for the whole orphanage. ALL broken pieces. there was nothing in that bag to even remotely try to play with. Trust me, we tried. Trying to bring a little joy and developmental stuff to them. Thanks to those who've so graciously donated. It truly makes a difference. Have a wonderful week.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

2. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

My understanding is that Customs has really cracked down on this. Better pack an extra suitcase with everything in it. The orphanage we support, in the Ukraine, is in dire need but shipments are at a standstill.

Sherry

3. Abdulina

Yeh, definitely taking precautions. You should have seen the look on the post offices face one year when I shipped a whole pile of puzzles. I said you make sure you mark that PUZZLES in clear black ink b/c it sounds horrible. They did mark it. And, they arrived. Just crazy. Understand it all though for sure. BTW, just received word of a court date in September! Kids will be legally ours in September and we pick them up in October. Can't wait. Had to share. I'm excited as you can imagine.

4. Sherry A.

Congratulations. I know the feeling of bringing one home.

Sherry

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Wow! *ponder* September ... that's NEXT MONTH!! :) Much happiness for you!!!

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:iagree::hurray::hurray:

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Stephanie, I'm sure you know this, but just in case you don't...

On our recent missions trip, we got really creative getting stuff around customs. We took multiple suitcases, and we packed clothes in EVERY suitcase. We also bought the vacuum seal bags for stuff like beanie babies, and I was able to get about 25 pounds of beanies in one bag, I put it in the bottom of the suitcase, then put clothes on top of it.

We took the price tags off of everything, and tried to take everything that was "new" out of the package. That way it doesn't look like something you'd sell in the other country. Anything we were iffy about, went in our carry on. We each took a rolling bag AND a backpack as a carry on.

8. Sherry A.

Jen,

How was your trip? Was it everything you thought it would be?

Sherry

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Sherry if you support an orphanage in the Ukraine, why won't you support one in your own country? Or do you?

Serious question.

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

just bringing the thread back around to the original purpose, it is a really great cause and i applaud Stephanie for all she does:hurray::hurray::hurray:

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Back to the OP's topic.......... :roll:

Thank you Kaci for giving a place to drop stuff off at, makes it super convenient for everyone! I'll arrange with you soon to get the beanies and other bags of stuff I have up there. :hurray:

12. Sherry A.

Our family does.

Sherry

13. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

I have a box of stuffed animals, a Disney Princess Monopoly game and a puzzle or two to donate....If the kids in the Ukraine *(or any country for that matter) could benefit, they're welcome to have it. Stopped by suite 210, but the person I think responsible for those collections, was not in the office...Maybe Stephanie could pick em up? or someone close to me? I'm near Don Lee's Gas Station.

14. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

sending you a pm

15. xstitchlynnda

xstitchlynnda Well-Known Member

donations

Are donations still being accepted by the Lowes food. If they are have a huge bag of beanie babies to give. My daughter cleaned out her closet and finally decided she was ready to get rid of them. Where can I drop them off?

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

yep, Suite 210 right beside Johnson's Family Pharmacy. Here today till about 4:30 and tomorrow until 4:00.

17. xstitchlynnda

Will you be there any time on Saturday. I don't get off of work until 4:30 and work in Raleigh so would not be able to make it till about 5:45 and can't do it at all tonight.

18. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

sorry no Saturdays but if you let me know what day, i can stay longer in the evening to be here for you next week any day except Thur or Fri. Today and tomorrow my evenings are already booked up.

19. Abdulina

Thanks so much for having a place to collect items. We're still collecting till the end of August. So far, we have half a suitcase full. That is A LOT of crayons and pencils and will do so, so much good over there. Thanks so much to everyone who has donated. It really will help change lives.

20. xstitchlynnda

How about Monday at about 5:30 or 5:45. I have a very large bag of the beanie babies. It is so heavy, I will probably need to put it into two bags. They are all in great shape. She never really played with them, just collected them.