Homeless people?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I resemble that remark!

2. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

and you're the sucker that's born every minute. you don't know crap about us or what we've faced and who we are. save your selfrighteous "nose in the air" crap for someone who cares what you think. you think i'm dumb as dirt? try me. you'll lose this one, guaranteed.

3. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I had a friendship with an older woman who was a homeless heroin addict in Washington DC. Didn't know she was an addict when I met her, only that she was begging for money in the train station. I met her every morning for months after I got off the train on the way to work. Bought her breakfast and talked to her and gave her money because I believed she was using it for something productive. She finally confessed to using heroin. I totally enabled her and was really naive and let myself get taken advantage of when I really should have known better. Now I pass along information about the local programs for the homeless in the area instead of giving them money. :oops:

4. dangerboy

by the way, that was me she was responding to, not the wife. so it's "you tell him", just fyi...

5. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Never feel as though you made a fool of yourself. You did what you felt was right in your own heart. She is the one who will ultimately answer for using you to feed her habit.

6. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Michelle,

I must say the two have distinctly different writing styles. db says stuff like legit and dude. Sounds just like one would picture him. :lol: He also writes in lower case and most often Mrs. db does not.

Your opinion is yours just thought I'd help with the him/her stuff.

Sherry

7. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Well thanks for clearing that up, Sherry. :idea:

8. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I think there is a differnece in being aware and being neive. just saying, I am sure we have all been takin in by a scammer but I will take my chances on helping someone that needs it. They have to answer for their lies not me ;)

9. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

And just so you know this is the main line in your statement that struck me wrong!!

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

There are no witnesses at the trial of your life. We will each be judged by our conscious, our character and our conduct.

that's just my 2 cents.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

12. dangerboy

Again as DB said you have no idea.

db's wife

13. dangerboy

Been there done that. I gave the guy the benefit of the doubt and put some gas in his car. He seemed so sincere. Saw him pulling the same trick same station the following week.
    DB's wife

14. dangerboy

Totally agree here. You have to go with what you feel in your heart is right. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt. I have been burned several times but at least I did what I thought was a help.

DB's wife

15. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

There are so many fake homeless people that I don't even consider giving money.

16. dangerboy

Amen.

DB's wife

17. dangerboy

Years ago when we were in our early 20s DB and I went to NYC with a friend. We went on a whim with very little money in our pockets.
    The first morning we decided to go for a walk. We had only been walking maybe three minutes when the first beggar hit us up. His story was good. "Man to man, I need to feed my kids can I have a few bucks." You could tell he hit a cord with both men I was with and they dug in to their pockets to help. After he walked by I told them that if they gave to everyone that asked they would be the ones begging on the way back to the hotel because they would be out of money. (I say they were men but really just boys.) As we walked further the amount of beggars increased. We walked by an area where they were sitting lined up on the sidewalk. Many had signs and seemed to try to out do others with their outlandish tales. One guy had a rabbit in a cage with a sign asking for money for his rabbit to have brain surgery!
    No real point to the story. Just amusing and thought I would share.

DB's wife

18. dangerboy

I NEVER forget that I am often only a few paychecks from being homeless. Don't assume you know anything about us from a few lines of remarks on a forum.

That's too bad you feel that way because this man would give you the shirt off his back.

DB's wife

19. elims

elims Well-Known Member

When I lived elsewhere, I acquired a rather scary stalker by being nice to someone who was homeless. Had me looking over my shoulder for years, and even now I still occasionally look around.

Yes, there are those that life has just broken down. They may see no other way out but to live off of handouts. They each have their stories to tell, and usually have lived quite interesting lives. Then there are the multitudes who take advantage of others' generosity and kindness for whatever reason they feel is justifiable.

Still ... if I have it to give, I'll give it. I'll still care. Eyes open - it's THEIR choice to put my offering to good use or not ... but at least I will have tried, and I will have cared.

20. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

:hurray:

yep, me too.