Showing ID at the Polls

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by J34, Jun 23, 2011.

1. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

here be an example

http://www.wral.com/news/local/politics/story/9984810/

2. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

3. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Yep, I did. And while 4 crimes that are being pursued are fraudulent votes, the voter ID bill would not, repeat NOT have prevented this. If the 4 are convicted, I say hit 'em hard. And I'd feel the same way, regardless of who they are or for whom they voted.

Let's do the math. Source: http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres...-01743113B9D4/0/20081104Election_Summary.html

Votes cast in Wake County, Nov 4, 2008: 444,013. Alleged fraud: 4.
    Incidence of fraud: 4/444013=9.00874524 × 10-6 0r 0.000000900874524

Seems to me that as precious as the budget is, there are many other issues pressing for attention and legislation than this.

The likelihood of a fraudulent vote is far less an occurrence than the likelihood of a pantheon of other occurrences, none of which are being legislated.

4. Ima Sheltie

First you assumed 0, now we have 4. When there are 4 there are most likely more.

Doing the math is completely useless. That is unless you are an ostrich.

5. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

After reading the article in the N & O it has been stated that a voter ID would not have done anything to prevent this. The people voted twice without using a fraudulent name. So basically, while they were still breaking the law it is the 'fault' of the person working the polls and/or the Board of Elections as a whole for not checking the roll correctly.

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

No, I never assumed zero. What I said was that there had been no EVIDENCE of voter fraud that this legislation would affect. Still does not appear to meet that threshold.

Demonstrate that there is a relevant issue of proportion that needs addressing ahead of the other issues facing the state and you may get some traction.

7. Ima Sheltie

Oh yeah, alledged.

If only one is proven to be true (hint: at least two have admitted) then it is relevant.

I'm not looking for traction. No need.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

We need Voter ID but it wouldn't have fixed this issue.

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Two things come up when I read the responses; what about absentee ballots and I'll be darned if Hat hasn't stated my second response....what happened to the Tea Part and Pubs wanting less government intrusion?

I am for showing ID but want it thought through in all scenarios.

10. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

That's a really good question.

How do we verify identity in similar situations, when the client / user / voter / citizen cannot be physically present?

11. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

that's a good question Gomer. If you are gone, why can't I vote for you if I have a name and address, and I get there first ?

12. Gomer Pyle

You can- quite obviously, that's the point.

The unanswered question is how do we ensure that only legitimate voters vote and that must include out of state citizens (students, workers, military members etc.).

13. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Because I would report it, hopefully it would be investigated and hopefully you would be punished.

I know you wouldn't, but I would want the sleaze punished.

14. cynadon

drivers license from NCDMV (they give out ID's too), tax returns, 2 or 3 CP&L bills (progress energy), social security card, certainly we can agree on something.

15. Gomer Pyle

I'm with ya, but how do I present these any of documents when I'm deployed to Afghanistan?

P.S. FYI, you may have a sticky "." key.

16. cynadon

thanks, i was wondering about the space

17. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

I've not read this entire thread so what I'm about to print may have already been addressed. If it has I apologize for doubling up on this.

Our sysem already has in place provisions for this. An individual may request from their Board of Elections an Absentee Ballott to be mailed to them. The voter may fille out the form and mail it back in. At 44 cents for a stamp it is probably cheaper than driving to the poll.

In addition, more and more non-profits and churches are providing group transportation to voters. During the 2008 Presidential election I personally saw 15 passenger rental vans drive up in the parking lot of some of our early voting locations full of individuals who departed the van and entered the polling location to vote and then left as a group.

Political parties also inform the local Board of Elections if they are offering transportation round trip to polling locations. This helps if a voter calls in to their Board of Elections with a question about transportation.

Lack of transportation is not a very good argument against Photo ID.

18. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

Correct, Photo ID would not have stopped this issue. This comes back to early voting prior to the actual election date.

A voter can only vote at selected locations during early voting. For Johnston County in years past there have been 3 locations. Once I voted early in Smithfield, however, my polling location is Dixon Road Elementary.

This article brings a good argument against the early voting.

19. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Typically, when I file an absentee ballot it is because I am not in the state on election day.

Also I imagine there are a number of folks that for heart reasons can not make it to the polls even if vans are available.

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Most people use Absentee Ballots when they are out of town/state. I have never used one just because I don't want to drive to vote.

The question is......if everyone must show ID when going to vote what do absentee ballot people do to prove they are who they say they are? I read the NC Absentee Voting items and cannot find anywhere where it states it must be notarized and believe that before we go changing the law we need to think this thing through. That and who wants more government intrusion? Usually it is the Pubs saying "nope" to this type of thing and it is funny to see them wanting more laws regarding this and the Dems not wanting the government intrusion.

Sherry