Homeless people?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by robbie, Oct 30, 2010.

1. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Really?

I too have seen news stories about "homeless people" making a better living than most of us by working the off ramps.
    So, for years, I didn't give because of the scammers I saw on TV.

Then, a couple weeks ago, I saw a woman working the corner off the 40/42 Walmart, by the gas station at the far end of the complex. Her shoes were worn, hair and clothes dirty, so I thought she was legit and gave her all the bills I had....which didn't amount to more than 3-4 dollars.
    :cuss:
    Oh well, at least now I know better.

I'll just continue to give to Rescue Missions when I can and keep my spare change!

2. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I worked with a man who while in the air force he was stationed in London. He had told me of a "homeless" man who would panhandle in Piccadilly Circus. The panhandler had been there for years. Until one day the authorities had followed this man to see where he went after he left Piccadilly Circus. A few blocks away they saw him get into his chauffeur driven Rolls Royce.

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Similar to the guy that use to work the exit ramp on Wake Forest Road.

4. Rockyv58

And on a personal note. While I was in college I was home for the holidays. A buddy of mine and myself drove up to Brandeis University to see a friend of ours. While we were there we took the train into Boston. We came down the stairs of the EL and were confronted with a panhandler. He asked us if we had any change. I remember asking him what he wanted it for and he told us he wanted it for alcohol. The three of us reached in our pockets and gave him what ever change we had. At least he was honest about it, and didn't give us some BS about trying to get help.

5. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I was at the light at the 40/42 Walmart shopping center last week. A man was out there with his sign asking for money. A boy got out of the car in front of me, walked up, and dumped a handful of change into his bucket. The man looked inside, scoffed in disgust (as if it wasn't enough money), and never acknowledged the child. I was floored and disgusted...how's that for appreciation?

6. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i understand. it was crass on purpose.

dude knew what he was doing. his location was no random choice. he set up in a clearly visible, easy to access location so that people would think "oh, he's right there in plain sight in the middle of everything with his whole life and his dog, so he can't be all that bad" and stop. and it seems many of you did. and you listened to his story, true or not, and gave him things. if that's the way you feel you need to operate, fine. i'm not trying to stop you. those of you saying that they (beggars) will have to be judged on their lives, be held accountable as they leave this world for what they did with the money you gave them for food: i believe that, too, but they're not going to be doing it on my dime.

jlc
    rocky
    ima
    prm
    obx...

cold, heartless, selfish people like you make michelle sick :ack:

7. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I might have given to the same guy. Some money, a cold bottle of water, even offered him some smokes. He just kind of shoo-d us away. Sorry dude, didn't mean to cramp your style.

After talking to people (here and at the store, etc) I don't give to those particular panhandlers anymore - but before I gave freely and without expectation.

8. jlc007

jlc007 Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know, danger.....

and I have no problem with it either, I'm sure I've been called worse.

9. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Um..It is Michelle.

10. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

No, I like all of them :lol:

11. michelle

What?

12. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth. :cheers: xoxo

13. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

they've all posted opinions similar to mine, so why is it just me that makes you sick? because of the way i said it? you seem to be ok with the same content, for example, in prm's post or jlc's, but not mine?

i guess it was because i ridiculed your buddy at the exit ramp? sorry, i'll make it more general next time, or be sure to not talk about someone you fell for. i mean helped out.

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

don't come knocking if the tent is rocking

15. michelle

I didn't "fall" for them. I met them last year when my husband took the time to stop and talk with them and find out their story. Neither he nor I have EVER given either of them money. Truth is, they would have probably spent it on alcohol.

Doug and Al have been to my home several times to have dinner not because I felt sorry for them but because they became friends to my husband. I am very glad that I took the time to get to know them. The stories they told were so funny.

I guess I did get my feathers ruffled because of the way you talked about Doug. You did say some pretty mean things but you are entitled to your opinion.

16. Rockyv58

Got to thinking. Some people are willing to hand out money to people who are unwilling to work.

I just got done with my CNA class and started my Nuclear Medicine classes this week. I'm on unemployment and money is tight for me right now. I do not have the funds to spring for the state test that would give me my state license to work.

I'm thinking of finding a piece of cardboard and making my own sign up and standing either at the entrance of Wal mart or just off exit 312. And taking just enough hand out to go pay for the state test.

17. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Who says they're unwilling? You're unemployed ... does that make you unwilling to work?