Showing ID at the Polls

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by J34, Jun 23, 2011.

1. sacosta

sacosta Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree that some form of voter id is a bad idea. But the simple fact of the matter is that this legislation has nothing to do with preventing voter fraud. It is nothing more than an attempt to disenfranchise poor people who tend to vote for Democrats, and may lack transportation to go get a voter ID. You can argue that lack of transportation isn’t a valid excuse, but those arguments will never change the reality of what this is. Just like with the redistricting, the Rs are trying to stack the deck in their favor anyway they can. It’s plain…it’s obvious, and trying to hide it behind some notion that its purpose is to prevent voter fraud is just an insult to everyone’s intelligence.

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

There's no doubt in my mind the proposal is politically motivated, but does that make it a bad idea?

3. sacosta

Yes it’s a bad idea. When its main intent is to disenfranchise voters I think it is in fact borderline treason. If nothing else, it flies in the face of everything our Republic stands for. If it was done in a different way where perhaps there was a major effort to make sure that poor, handicapped and disabled people received their voter id card, then I'd be right onboard. But that's not how it's being handled. It's more like "if you can't make it to the Board of Elections to get your voter id card, then too bad…you can’t vote" How American is that?

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The idea that transportation is an issue is insulting to your own intelligence.

5. jumpin4joync

jumpin4joync Well-Known Member

I understand that you've named the most common reason.

I have a friend who's wife was battling cancer and was bed ridden. He helped her to get an Absentee Ballot. She did vote in the Nov 2010 election but passed away shortly after that.

I have a friend who is in an assisted living facility. Someone came through the facility and offered to help residents with an Absentee Ballot. She and some other residents sent in Absentee Ballots during the Nov 2008 election.

6. sacosta

Whether you want to believe it or not, there are plenty of people that lack the means to travel from the far corners of Johnston County to the BOE office in Smithfield to get a voter id card. Almost all of them vote exclusively for Democrats. I would much rather be concerned for these people, than to support some underhanded legislation that’s trying to steal away their voice. I would be concerned if someone was trying to take votes away from Republicans too.

7. jumpin4joync

Sherry, You started your post by stating 'just because I don't want to drive to vote'. If you are saying that then you are implying that you have a license to drive. So you have a photo ID.

There is a portion of the population who do not drive. They don't have a license. So those people would not use an Absentee Ballot 'just because'.

My mother never drove. She never had a license. But she did have a photo ID through the DMV.

Being out of town or out of state is the most common reason for an Absentee Ballot but its not the only reason.

There is no more government intrusion if you use the laws which are already written, in regards to Absentee Ballot. Also doing away with early voting or shortening the length of time allowed for early voting would simply put us back to where our state was for many years for the voting process.

You are not making a valid argument when you state that the Pubs are wanting more laws simply because we have a desire to keep the election process ethical and legal. You are simply stating an observation.

8. jumpin4joync

Its obvious you have the talking points down real well. Its sad that you don't have an original thought of your own to add to the discussion.

This in no way disenfranchises anyone who is a resident of the area in which they are wanting to vote. Why don't you make that same argument when an Hispanic individual has to put their thumb print on a check when they are cashing it when it is made payable to them?

As far as the re-districting - I really wish the Democrats would quit whining about it.

First, this state's population will continue to grow and change. What was recorded during the 2010 census will be different then the 2020 census. People will continue to move in and out of this state and even within the state.

Second, the re-districting is due to volume of population and election results of 2010. The Democrats had just as much time as any other political organization to plan accordingly.

9. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Don't beat me up here, but I thought the intent was merely to have citizens produce a legit ID at the polls to certify that they are who they say they are.

I don't know where the idea of having to present oneself at the county Board of Elections for a "voter ID" came from.

Again, why should this particular transaction (voting) be any different from any other significant transaction in one's life? Going to the bank? ID required. Applying for a job? ID required. Require gov't benefits? ID required (mostly...).

I still don't know how to verify identity for absentee ballots but there must be a way...perhaps we could ask the folks over at eBay for help?

10. jumpin4joync

You are correct that the idea of showing a photo ID is to prove you are who you are claiming to be at the time you enter the polling location to vote.

There is information out there that is getting tangled up with interpretation versus fact. The Democrats were saying that not every person who votes carries a photo ID and that it is not right to require those individuals to purchase photo ID for the sole purpose of voting. The law has been written to incorporate a solution for those individuals; the opportunity to receive a FREE photo ID.

One of our major problems, which I personally am concerned with, is the large number of voters still on the rolls after they have passed away. It is a more involved process than just having a family member call the Board of Elections and requesting an individual to be removed from the voting rolls, assuming that every voter who passes will have a family member interested in having the individual removed from the rolls. I believe that is a whole 'nother issue but does need to be addressed.

I will admit that I have been a volunteer for the Republican Party for many years and have stood outside of polling locations handing out palm cards to voters and answering questions from voters. Due to polling location populations surging during the late 90's and this century, the lines on election day were enormous and became a time consuming process for individuals to vote - but they still came out to vote despite standing in long lines that meandered out of the building and into parking lots. Early voting has made it much more convenient and quicker time wise for individuals to vote - HOWEVER - the length of time on the calendar which we now have for early voting is ridiculous. The amount of money we spend across this entire state for early voting, during these economic times, is fiscally irresponsible. I strongly believe that the early voting, along with, accruately checking the voting rolls prior to election day need to be addressed. I'm in favor of early voting for convenience but not at the length of time we have on the calendar.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2011
  11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

You started the conversation on this thread by stating that mailing in an absentee ballot is probably cheaper than driving to the poll. See above!

My question still stands.........if we change the law so that everyone must show ID to vote how about those voting absentee (which are usually out of town/state) how do we know they are who they say they are? Has anyone thought this all the way through? Doesn't sound like it from your standpoint.

Sherry

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I don't buy it. Poverty and age are not partisan issues. I could just as easily suggest those participating in voter fraud are Democrats.

If they can't get a ride to the BOE, then how are they going to get to the polls? There are certain expectations in the country if you want certain rights. This one is no different.

13. jumpin4joync

I can see where an individual would read my 1st post from yesterday and believe that. However, I was responding to someone elses post, which is why my first portion of my post is so vague.

I was talking about individuals who want to vote but might be home bound, whether because they don't drive or can't drove due to be home bound. So when I ended my post with the .44 cent stamp being cheaper than driving, I was referring to giving an individual who is home bound or doesn't drive some independence to be able to vote, without having to ask family, friends or church members to pick them up and drive them to the polling location. A 44 cent stamp offers someone independence to be able to vote via an Absentee Ballot.

I would have to speak with someone at the Board of Elections office as to specifically what takes place to request an Absentee Ballot.

I know the friend of mine who's wife was battling cancer said it was a little bit involved to actually be able to get the Absentee Ballot. I believe I remember him telling me she had to write out a letter which had to have specific information within the letter. It had to be mailed in and he was not allowed to just drop it off while in Smithfield. A little bit later she received the Absentee Ballot in the mail. She filled it out and then mailed it back in. You are correct in thinking that in all probability it could have been her husband filling out the Absentee Ballot and mailing it back in. However, I know that in this case, she was the one who actually voted - she took great pride in being able to tell friends that she voted in the election. However, she did loose her battle to cancer by Christmas.

There is going to be a Legislative Town Hall Meeting on Tuesday, August 30th at McCall's in Clayton at noon with House Speaker Thom Tillis. I plan on attending so I will ask this question to find out if the Bill addressed this or not, and if so, how did they address this.

I will report back to this thread with whatever it is that I learn while at the Town Hall Meeting.

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

15. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Still haven't seen a good argument for NOT providing ID other than "I don't wanna".

Is it going to solve every issue of voter fraud? Prob not. Is it still a good idea. Heck yes. Unless you have a reason why you need to hide who you are.

16. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

There's no good argument for not having to show ID. You have to when you buy beer, cigs, get a loan, cash a check, enter a club.. It's just common sense to have to show ID when electing our next LEADER. As for the "can't make it to the polls without a ride" statement, well, apparently that's what ACORN is for.

17. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Where does the voter registration card come into play here?

18. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Not sure if the latest arrest is a result of a citizen performing his version of civil disobedience or not. If I read it correctly, he did this to energize the system pointing out how easy it was to vote and vote again.

Again, the proposed legislation does not prevent this.

19. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

good question. i always dig it out but feel disappointed when no one needs to see it. :) i guess it's like the dental postcards reminding you of when your appointment is.

20. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Thanks. That would be wonderful.

Sherry