Is it a guy thing...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Yes2day, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Yes2day

Yes2day Active Member

Maybe some of the guys on here can tell me. What is the deal with having to go out and burn trash in the barrel on the nice evenings when your neightbors would like to enjoy sitting out on their decks? Is it the "I can make fire" thing?

2. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Nah, the trash burning is secondary- it's just another excuse to drink beer and smoke cigars...but I don't really need an excuse to do that!

3. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

I've been around many burning barrels and not one had a cigar. You must live in the upperclass middleclass area.

4. Gomer Pyle

Actually, you just have to know whose trash cans to raid- it's amazing what people throw away these days...

5. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

And you have to get there before they burn them.

6. Gomer Pyle

As I said, ya gotta know whose trash cans to raid...

7. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

not just a guy thing....I love me a burn barrel. Best Mother's Day gift ever 2 years ago...

:mrgreen:

8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

It might be a guy thing if they're burning woods or yard debris. If they're burning trash, they're just a-holes regardless of gender.

9. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

best I can recall burning trash is illegal, you are only allowed to burn vegetation that grows on your property!

tried to get the link thru the forestry service but the website would not pull up

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I love the smell of a fire

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

maybe your friendly neighbor will see this and start burning their trash, plastic,, when the wind is blowing your way, as they take up space in the cul d sac

12. I had the exact same problem with my neighbors. Thankfully they abandoned their house a few months ago. We have a really nice screened it porch that's perfect for an evening drink, but when their burn barrel fired up we retreated inside. Like harley, we love to sit out by our fire pit but the smell of garbage burning is enough to make a person puke. I don't think it's a guy thing. I think it's a "not enough money to pay for garbage service and too lazy to take it to the dump" thing.

13. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Yes, if it is actually trash and not vegetation. Call the Sheriff's Office and they will have a chat with them, it is against the law and there is a fine after the first warning. Worked for me when I called.

14. Yes2day

Yes2day Active Member

Thanks Sassymom and Cleopatra, I'll remember that. It is wood that he burns most of the time, but the rest, I don't know. He usually burns at least once a week. Most of the back of the property is woods. I guess that was why I was wondering if it was a guy thing, cause he does have a place to put the wood and yard waste to decompose without having to pollute the 'hood.

15. sirputz

sirputz Well-Known Member

Yes2Day

Which neighboorhood are you talkking about? I have a neighbor who does that as well...but he burns mostly yard such, which I know is legal...though they like to have parties on the weekends and have friends over.

And if you go to the land use office in Smithfield you can obtain a paper that shows the regulations....I looked into it cause I have a burn barrell as well...but I only burn vegetation because I am trying to expand my available land.