Hummingbirds are back!!!

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Kent, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Looking at my 1st one of the season!!!

We just got our feeders out yesterday.

I love those little critters.

I can stand still by the feeders and they will fly all around my head and light on the feeder with me inches away.

Still haven't been able to hold my finger still enough for one to light on it while they are taking a drink.

Wonder if I can get something to prop my hand on, if that will work?

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

I thought I might have seen one yesterday but than thought that surely it must be still too early for them,guess not ;)

3. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! The feeders will go out asap!

4. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Was just over to my parents house today and their first hummingbird came by. Seems early this year but I love it!

5. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Love my little friends!!

We have 3 feeders on the front porch and have to refill them every other day!

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Your picture is wonderful Kent! I love hummingbirds too!!

7. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Had one feeding on the hanging baskets of our front porch. They're back! Love it!

stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

8. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We've had them all summer. Hubby had to move one of the feeders up by the house because yellowjackets were chasing them away! Moved the feeder and put a yellowjacket trap up in it's place and it got rid of the pests!

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I need to put out my feeder, if I can find it!! I'll never forget the first time I came across one face to face ... I was standing in front of one of my crepe myrtles, which was in bloom. Something flitted right in front of my face and just hovered there, just inches away. When I saw that long needle-like nose, my first thought was "It's going to poke me in the eye!!" then I gave myself a mental smack and thought "This isn't a horror flick .. ". It just hovered and stared at me, though ... then flitted away. Very cool experience, once I got over that momentary panic!

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:lol::lol:
    I have a bright red koozie with sparkles on it (most of you have seen it) that I use most of the time.
    Last summer I was sitting outside and had a hummingbird come up to the bottom of my koozie while I was taking a sip of my ML, scared the living crap outta me. It was pretty though.

11. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Humming Birds remind me of my daddy!

12. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

Just a few more pics and I'm done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

2 more incredible pictures Kent, love the second one!

14. Kent

Kent Well-Known Member

15. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

17. dangerboy

still feeding a few...saw them today

18. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I haven't seen mine in maybe a week. ...since it got cool. This isn't too cool yet is it? This is the first year I've had them. One showed up on my porch a few days after me Mama passed. He had two to keep away from the feeder but all three are gone now. The One would get about 2' from your face and hover almost every day.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Mine are gone too, this is also the first year I had them here. I will look forward to them next year.

20. dangerboy

there are a couple of species in north carolina all year long...