Hurricane Irene...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Aug 23, 2011.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

shooo go away. :evil:

You know I havent had a "PAID" vacation day in about 11 years so isn't it just awesome I have off Wednesday (1/2 day) Thursday & Friday and a Hurricane's coming? :? I guess I'll be doing something at home and NOT going to the beach to get a kick *** tan. :cry::cry::cry:

The next Hurricane will be Sept 16 ~ I have taken that day off also ~ just watch.

Sigh...

2. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

Looks like I may have to take a vacation day Friday to get things in order if this stays on track for NC. Just love burning a vacation day to clean house and get ready for a storm!

3. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Hurricane party at your house. Yay!

4. harleygirl

fine with me, BYOB tho. :mrgreen:

5. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I'm glad last weekend was my beach weekend! Hopefully Irene will take a sharp turn to the right! :lol:

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Goodnight Irene...... wasn't that a song?

To-do list... clean-up and cut back flower beds, clean off front porch, a trip to walmart - ughhh.... dh to get gas and make sure generator is working good, WATER... And clean the house! Good thing I have Fridays off!!!

Glad its not next weekend though, can't interfere with my birthday long-weekend in Savannah! Me, DH, and a room on the river with a balcony. :hurray:

7. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

HG-

Never plan a vacation in September! Take this from someone who had Hurricane Fran blow their wedding away, literally!

I'm not usually one to jump on the "milk and bread" bandwagon, but this one doesn't look good... So I will be restocking the emergency kit this week.

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I agree here. This one doesn't look good. Saying now it's gaining strength and possibly coming in as a Cat 4. That is one massive storm. I know it's way too early to tell but if it continues this path, it is not looking good for us all. BTW, roof was patched this past year. I can just imagine what this will bring. Hey, at this house it never hurts to stock up anyhow. LOL. I remember living in Wilson during Fran. Was driving home in the eye of the storm. Scary stuff for sure. I also remember being out of food for a few days & living off m & m's. Though my kids wouldn't mind that, I think I need to be responsible & at least have some sandwich stuff on hand. Sorry kids, not living off candy during this one like mom did in her 20's. Yeh, I'm old. Stay safe & have a hurricane party.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

9. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I spoke to soon... just got asked to plan to work 1/2 day Friday to make sure computers get backed up, wrapped in plastic, etc. :?

10. harleygirl

Ummm but it's August 24,25,26,27,28? :lol::lol:

September 16th we will have a hurricane b/c I've scheduled off :?

Fran was awful

11. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

My brother and I have a house rented not this Sat but the next for Labor Day weekend thru the week on Holden Beach, oceanfront. It is an anniversary gift for my parents to have all of us and our spouses on vacay together...I'm wondering if there will even be a house left after this weekend...:x

12. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My whole family remembers Fran. In fact, DD was just wearing her "Fran" tshirt last weekend! If I recall correctly, Fran came in as a category 1 and was a TS by the time it passed over us. The ground was saturated which led to alot of the downed trees and power lines. The ground is dry now, but this lady looks like she may even be a category 4 when it hits land which means it could still be at least a 2 when it comes over us. Yep, I guess I'll be in Wally World stocking up on water and batteries later today. See you there lol!

13. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Enjoy, T&C. My LOML and I did the same. Love River Street and all the shops and restaurants.

14. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me this might be another Fran for us. Furthermore, "Irene" sounds like a major hurricane for the history books!

15. harleygirl

I sure hope not, I've got a list going here at work for things I need to bolt down, prepare for at home.
    The list is getting longer... :?

16. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I hope you are wrong too Jester. Personally, I am waiting till Thursday before I go into 'gotta get in grocery store mode'.

17. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

It's Tuesday!! Soooooo much can happen with this storm in the next few days, either good or bad. I'm not going to panic about something so unpredictable at this point. And I've never understood the bread and milk thing. I could survive the rest of my life without either so I'm sure as heck gonna make it through a storm! There are other things more necessary for my survival. (note to self: make a run to stock up on Coke Zero :lol:)

And for what it's worth I was living in Key West when Hurricane Andrew came through down there and was evacuated to a safe building to spend the night and all the fun stuff that comes with that i.e. flashlights, sleeping bags, etc.

From the lead article on wral right now:

18. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

That was "Come On Eileen" wasn't it?
    -db's wife

19. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Good reminder of what you need to prepare for concerning various emergency situations:

http://www.readync.com/

20. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

yes it was~ thanks!!