Okra

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kaci, Aug 30, 2011.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Anyone got a good recipe with okra that does not involve breading and frying? Got a lot of it and really don't know what exactly to do with it.

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

no such thing

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

use it in gumbo and serve it over rice!

4. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too but never done it, do you have a good recipe for gumbo?

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

What's that dish with tomatoes .. and corn .. succatash, I think? My ex used to like okra in it. It's also good in soups and stews ... freeze it and save it for winter. Personally not fond of okra, but the ex loved it .. it's good with tomatoey things.

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Well.. not my own recipe, but a good one. Me and my mom were at her local Publix grocery store down in FL and they are always sampling different recipes and giving out the recipe cards. This gumbo was very good... we made it one night for ourselves, and then another night when we were having my cousin and her husband over for dinner.

I know it says to use a bag of frozen gumbo veggies, but if you have fresh veggies to use I would think that would be even better, just might have to let it simmer longer for them to cook through.

http://www.publix.com/aprons/meals/AllRecipes/SimpleMeal.do?mealId=5413&mealGroupId=1000

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  7. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I personally like it pickled.

8. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I have a neighbor that breads her okra but cooks it in the oven instead of frying. As for myself, I bread mine in House Autry Mills chicken breader, then fry. I really do need to try the baking thing, though...maybe it would be a LITTLE healthier! :lol:

9. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

ME TOO!!! Prefer it to cukes!!! 8)

10. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

My husband puts okra and mushrooms in his chili. It is so good! Gives the chili a little more texture and flavor.

11. dgsatman

I have done this (okra, not mushrooms) also. If you cook it down, the okra falls apart, thickening it a bit and the seeds do give it a little texture. Unless you tell, most people would never guess it's in there.

12. Ima Sheltie

Ima Sheltie Well-Known Member

Bake it. Okra, tomato and italian seasoning, and a little bit of water until tender.

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

not sure I'd call my version of okra breaded (maybe lightly dusted), but it is fried in a skillet.

Only way to have it in my Southern opinion.

14. dgsatman

Certainly the best!!! Had some last night. 8)

15. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Kaci, my big sis gave me the easiest, yummiest recipe! I have made it twice since she have it to me a little over a week ago. Diced up 2-3 strips of bacon and fry it in skillet. When done but still a little soft, remove bacon w/ a slotted spoon and leave the bacon fat in the skillet. Cut Okra in 1-1.5 inch pieces and add to skillet. Season w/ Kosher Salt and Fresh Cracked Black Pepper to your liking. Stir fry until fork tender but NOT mushy. It is just as good leftover too!

16. dgsatman

WELL..... you had to go and add bacon grease. Of course it's good!!! My only complaint/suggestion would be to leave the bits of bacon in. :)

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

that sounds good!!

18. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

LOL Oh, I forgot...you DO add them back in towards the end. You don't wanna leave them in the entire time because they will get too crisp/burnt! :) And it's truly not as bad for you as it sounds because I use a TON of okra with my 2-3 pieces of bacon.

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I might be able to choke them down if they are cooked with bacon. Otherwise, as southern as I am..................:ack:. Everything is better with bacon!

I will give that a try.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

:ack::ack::ack: ME 2. :ack::ack::ack: