NC Hwy 12 rebuilding

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by gcoats3, Aug 30, 2011.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

Just sayin a bridge might be the solution at Pea Island, but Rodanthe will probably be another road. The damage is just unreal, the images do it no justice, when you see this in 3D, AMAZING at what the road and lack of road look like!!

2. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

So you're arguing that infrastructure does make money? And you have to spend money on improving or maintaining that infrastructure to do so? That the highway, by merely being there, spurred development and economic growth? I wonder how long it took? I wonder how tourism and development took off after the road was built/improved?

OMG

There is hope for you you yet.

3. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Don't forget about beach re-nourishment too. Many NC beaches bring in tons of money from tourism activities and much of that money stays local. Yet so many people argue for USE taxes around here, but they want the entire state to subsidize bigger/better bridges, ferry service and beach re-nourishment just so the throngs can over-crowd the beach each year and make matters worse.

Modest tolls at outer banks island access points is a small targeted solution to help sustain these amenities for those who wish to enjoy them. Just like a state park entrance fee (which I do not believe NC has, but should). Those who use...pay. As for all roads, there are some instances where use fees makes sense like Highway 12 which gets washed away every time a hurricane comes through.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

And every one that hears these sayings of mine, and does them not, shall be likened to a foolish man, which built his house on the sand:

5. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

The numbers lead to it making sense. When your choo choo comes even remotely close to those numbers, I'll believe in it. Highways are paid for with gas taxes and this particular road is obviously being used to justify the expense as evidenced by the tourism dollars.

This example and your pie in the sky aren't even completely close to being the same no matter how you spin it.

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Hwy 12 was last rebuilt in 2003 and the Oregon Inlet bridge hasn't been touched in several decades yet the numbers already linked come in yearly.

7. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Dude you are crazy if you think there is not a yearly expenditure for Hwy 12 and Oregon Inlet. Every winter the Northeaster's tear up Hwy 12 and cause them to re-nourish the dunes and repave portions of the Hwy.

Oregon Inlet Bridge is another area that has yearly costs due to inspections, maintenance, and the cost of dredging the channel/ solidifying the bridge pilings.

The fact is that it is very costly to maintain the Outer Banks infrastructure. The economic impact is huge to the people of the Outer Banks and the main source of income for the entire Outer Banks. Without the tourists there would be a large number of people that would have to move or given assistance.

The sad fact in all of this is that we are changing the natural migration of the Outer Banks. The longer we continue to alter the natural forces the larger the cost to maintain them and one day they will simply disappear.

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

There are maintenance costs on every bridge and road in the state although I agree about the dunes and things. The bottom line in this case is the gain far outweighs the expense but you can write that off if you don't keep Hwy 12 open.

9. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

The gain may outweigh it now, but it will continue to escalate.

In 2003 there was one inlet cut. In 2011 there were two cut. That is during a time when we have had virtually no hurricanes. I would be shocked if you could find another 8 year period in our history with as few hurricanes as we have experienced.

The reality is that our actions over the last 75 years have damaged the Outer Banks. It will continue to get worse. It would take a bold leader to not rebuild Hwy 12.

Now while I know that you are so proud of NCSU perhaps you may learn a little from one of the other top Universities in this state. Inlets

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Look, I agree with everything you just wrote. Clearly if the costs start to outweigh the gains then I would agree it needs to be looked at more closely. Until that time, keep building it as I don't think we are at that point or even close.

I only see something from ECU....did you provide the wrong link? :lol:

11. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

Hwy 12 (as we know it) was built in the 1960's. I am sure the development along that road and the level of tourism was nowhere near what it is now and wouldn't be if the road was never built. If you build it they will come. This is how transportation infrastructure works. It is very often speculative to a degree. You don't wait for hundreds of thousands of people and businesses to show up and then say, "Where's the road?".

12. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Harvey I understand that more clearly than you want to believe. However, that is NOT a blanket statement for all transportation infrastructure as evidenced by the failure of the railroads.

Almost all the cities and towns in North Carolina were formed along various railroad lines back in the day. But that doesn't mean people still use the railroads to the degree our dear leaders want to invest. When there are multiple forms of transportation, the quickest and cheapest will always win. If you take your Amtrak subsidies away, it would cost 10x as much to travel by train as driving.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  13. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

They will rebuild it because when was the last time a politician was considered a leader.

here is the NCSU jab

here is some of the fine work done by ECU

14. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

I'd be interested in knowing what was the actual driving force behind putting in Hwy 12. I lived in Hatteras village from 1969-1972 as my father was a civilian engineer that was working at the Naval facility located in Buxton. I would imagine that the base and support of it's personnel may have had quite a bit to do with the original plans for a road.

It definitely has opened the OBX up to additional tourist visits, but I can tell you from direct experience that even "back then", there was a huge amount of tourist traffic, in particular for sport fishing.

BTW, when the Navy left, the facility was turned over to the Coast Guard..and they no longer use it, so it is just a boarded up facility with a million dollar view.

I can see either side of this argument, but would tend to think that fixing the road by NC is seen as a "cost of doing business"....and as long as those costs don't exceed the generated revenues, then Hwy 12 will continue to be rebuilt and maintained.

15. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

It has been a long time but I think one of the primary factors was Tourism. The Islands had visitors way back before it was built. The people and visitors were forced to drive on the beach. I am sure it was a combination of Tourism, Wealthy Land owners, and military needs.

16. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Here is some further info on "Winter" Storms. This is some background on the 2009 storm that caused the State to rebuild Hwy 12 and launch a temporary ferry from Stumpy Point. At least this exercise let them work the kinks out for the current day scenario.

17. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Certainly he has taken many advantages in regards to transportation in regards to the Outer Banks. He was very good at bringing the pork home for that part of the state.

18. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

Sorry to disappoint you but no (0) Democrats in our family at this time. But Gov. Beverly and her cohorts are leading the charge. She better get it done soon because like Obama she is one and done.
    There are other ways to get individuals south of the breaches on Hwy 12 without rebuilding Hwy 12.

19. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

That doesn't disappoint me in the least. 8)

20. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

This is because the money has never been put into infrastructure as it should be. If you grade-separate and make the train more feasible (i.e. spend as money money on it as you do highways and make it a viable alternative) then it will compete. You can't sit there and say that RR's are not competitive when 90% of the federal money goes to highways.

I don't ignore the fact that there was a culture shift in the 50's and 60's where people moved to the suburbs and loved their private little cars, but urban sprawl, congestion, etc. are slowly shifting that culture back and it is people like you who weigh it down.