A place for random thoughts....

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Mar 15, 2006.

1. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

They apparently will make an exception, and since they serve juice at breakfast it shouldn't be a problem :)

http://www.johnston.k12.nc.us/education/components/scrapbook/default.php?sectiondetailid=105503&

2. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Milk that is filled with coloring and added flavors (i.e. strawberry, chocolate, vanilla) doesn't seem any better than what's in some juices though. :? If they're going to go healthy they need to do it all the way and not half arsed. Pure milk, pure juice. No extra color, flavors, sugar etc.

3. VolleyGrl

I don't have a kid in public school so I don't know about these things, but peanut butter was outlawed???!! That's a very healthy way for kids to get good fats and protein as long as they're not getting it through cookies, etc. (like you were saying for your kiddo). A little peanut butter on bread isn't going to hurt anyone. And if kids have allergies can't they sit at an allergen free table or something?

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

L O L :lol::lol:

5. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

I don't understand why the elementary school doesn't have something offered at lunch other than 4 flavors of milk and water with statistics like these:

Lactose Intolerance by Ethnic Groups:
    African Blacks 95%
    American Indians 90%
    Asian Americans 90%
    North American Blacks 75%
    Mexican Americans 75%
    Mediterraneans 60%
    North American Whites 15%

http://www.lactoseintolerant.org/un...lerance/how-do-you-become-lactose-intolerant/

I would like to advocate for the removal of one or two of the "flavored" milks (if the issue is money/space) to be replaced with a non-dairy option, other than water. Anyone know where to start?

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I say "outlawed" but at DS's elementary school, we were sent a note home that we were no longer allowed to send in anything in their lunches or snacks that contained peanuts or peanut products. Apparently some kids are so allergic that even if they just sit at a table where peanuts were consumed and not cleaned effectively they could get enouch allergen to cause anaphaltic shock. Who knows??? I think the schools are just wary of being sued so screw the rest of us.

7. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Ehh......I'd rather them have chocolate milk and get the protein and calcium with a little extra sugar than just none at all, even pure juice. It's still nutritionally superior. A lot of kids won't drink plain milk. DS prefers plain, but I understand that is unusual. It's all lowfat milk so I don't think a squirt of choc or strawberry will hurt them much.

We still drink full fat milk at my house, in my attempt to get him a few extra calories and the fact that I can't abide that watery blue stuff they try to pass off as milk. :jester:

I grew up drinking milk that you had to stir the cream back into before you drank it, unpastueurized and all. I have never broken a bone and I guarantee my immune system is healthy, although I do have some extra calcium deposits in places. :mrgreen: But the milk came from my grandparents Grade A dairy, I wouldn't recommend that as a rule.

8. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I've heard this too. Both preschools that my daughters attended outlawed peanut butter. They said that if a child eats something with peanut butter and has some on his/her hands, it gets somewhere in the room or playground equipment, then the allergic child touches it, it can cause an allergic reaction. I'm not sure how often that happens, but that's the reason we were told not to pack peanut butter in lunches/snacks. So far their elementary school has not banned it.

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

There was a child in my son's grade that had to eat lunch in a different room every day because his peanut allergy was so bad. I felt so bad for him. I guess I can see both sides of it, but that is just pitiful that one of the only social times of the day he had to be away from his classmates and friends.

On another note, I have read of kids being cured of peanut allergies by participating in exposure therapy that required very small amounts of nuts over time. This was in a controlled environment so i wouldn't go trying it on my own. I think it is interesting and wonderful if it works.

As to the juice issue, I agree that there should be more choices at lunch. My kids can't do the milk thing either...tummy troubles. I guess that is why they have taken their lunch since first grade!! Hopefully, they will let you send a juice box with your child, Pocohontas! Water only to drink with food is :ack:, imho.

10. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

No, the minority rules and the other 99.9% have to abide by their rules.

How is it people have all kinds of allergy issues now yet I only remember people being allergic to poison oak when growing up?

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I was thinking minority!! LOL

I will probably get flamed for it, but I think we see more allergies because there are so many who want to bubble wrap their kids and "protect" them from every possible germ, whipping out the hand sanitizer at every opportunity, no pets allowed etc. It's not healthy. Your immune system needs to have a workout every now and then to function properly.

There is a list a mile long of foods you are not supposed to give your kid until they are a year or even 2 years old. Guess what people? When do you think kids are growing and adjusting to the world?? No eggs, no peanuts, no honey, no strawberries, no cow's milk, it's endless. No solid food til they are a 6 months or a year old??? Are you freaking kidding me?? So by the time they are finally introduced to these things, guess what happens??

I'm not saying that is the case with ALL allergies, but I think it's a big part of the reason we see more than we used to in children. That said, allergies can pop up at any age, I'm living that right now since I have never had seasonal allergies until the past year or so. Maybe it's just living here in NC, I don't know.

I fed DS whatever we were having from about 4 months old including the supposed allergens and never had a problem. He's also a fairly adventurous eater, which I think is a result of not restricting his palate when he was young to a few "safe" foods.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

well good for you,

13. VolleyGrl

Amen! Telling kids they can't bring a good 'ole PB&J for lunch is like saying no more peanuts at a baseball game! Something is up about the spike in allergies because we did not have peanut issues like this when I was in school (and it wasn't THAT long ago :lol:). KDC is on to something with her theory about the bubble wrap, that's for sure.

And I'm not trying to sound heartless about the issue because this is a horrible thing for a child (and parents) to endure and I thank god my son doesn't have to be so vigilant about what he eats. The issue is with how things have changed so dramatically in such a short amount of time.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yes, as a matter of fact it is! And?

15. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

HAPPY FRIDAY!!! :cheers: <MUAH>

16. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

TGIF! I'm going to the beach for a much needed girls weekend!

17. BuzzMyMonkey

and what???

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Um, that's what I'm asking YOU. Do you have anything constructive to add to this discussion? If not, then take the advice you gave another poster recently and take a hike. :cheers:

19. Suzie Q

Suzie Q Well-Known Member

Thank You and AMEN! I have 7 nieces and nephews between the ages of 3-17. Guess what not a single food allergy. You know why they were not sheltered. No soy milk, organic crap! Get real people you are the ones hurting your kids by not getting them all the things they need to grow up healthy!

20. BuzzMyMonkey

okey dokey