poison ?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by sassymom, Sep 6, 2011.

1. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

besides benadryl what works.. I get to wired on benadryl and I have poison all over my legs and arms..ugh

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

If it's everywhere, I would just go to the doc and get a shot. It works wonders. No sense suffering for weeks with the itching. :cheers:

Otherwise I've Ivarest works, but have never tried it. You could try some Claritin, Allegra or Zyrtek instead of Benedryl too.

3. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

PINE SOL!!!

Trust me!! bathe in it or put it on a cottonball and apply liberally ~ swear by it

The shot didn't work for me. :?

4. sassymom

kdc no shot unless its on my face just steriods and I hate meds.. I have some OTC allergy meds I will try

harley I will try the pinesol when i get home, on little man to as we are both wrapped in it....

thanks

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Well, if you are gonna tough it out, bleach works too. It's harsh, but it dries it out PDQ. I would dilute it a bit and then dab it on with a cotton ball.

DH had a bad reaction to the shot a few years ago, he's actually allergic to whatever the med is suspended in. It was kind of interesting, LOL.

DS had the shot in the spring when he was covered and it worked on him, plus he was on steroids for a week or so, he had a nasty case. I think he must have rolled in it. :?

6. sassymom

I feel like I have rolled in it.. I might take ds if his gets any worse I had a supply of predisone cream for him last year he kept it so much, youngin won't stay out of the woods..

I just got some benadryl cream at the store (doesnt wire me up as much LOL) I am itching so bad at work but will try the pinesol before the clorox as I like my skin LOL

if it moves to my face I will just suck it up and go get a shot
    :cry:

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Ivarest!! Even though it's not pretty looking it does work. I get it real bad too,last time I took a zyrtec before going to bed. At the moment I don't have poison ivy but chigger bites instead.

8. Pirate96

Pirate96 Guest

Tecnu

Best thing ever. It will dry it up and help prevent it if you use it before hand. They make one that has little massaging beads in it that feels good if you already have the welts.

9. Casceysmom

Casceysmom Guest

I use the regular Blue Dawn. It dries it up quick too. Takes away the itch also. Love Dawn! I also bathe my dogs in Dawn as it kills fleas

10. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

11. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

My husband uses something called Ivy Dry. I believe it is in a brown bottle and it sprays on, so you can cover a larger area. We find it at the local drug store, but, not the big chains.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Howdy, Mr. Ron Paul.

Sherry

13. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

Go see Lance at Medicap, he recommended a scrub for my dd earlier this year, she had poison something really bad, eyes swollen shut, ped put her on steroids, the whole deal. I spent a boat load of $$ on different otc sprays, etc., and Lance suggested this particular scrub, of course I can't remember what it is now, but ask him, he'll know, it's not cheap $30-$40 tube, but after one application of it, she was so so much better, and we only had to spot treat here an there after the main application.

14. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Epsom salt will help dry it out and calm the itch.

15. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

http://www.zanfel.com/help/productfaq.html

We had pretty good success with this. I was on intravenous prednisone at the dermatologist because the by mouth wasn't working!! I am highly allergic and this product did help with the itching. It is expensive, but worth it. I also agree with another poster to use Tecnu when you think you might be out around poison ivy. It is supposed to help prevent the rash. I feel for you! I know how miserable that is.

BTW...I was installing the wire for the underground dog fence when I got my ivy! Never saw it coming, but I must have come in contact with the roots when burying the line. I wore gloves but apparently touched my face and arms. I am super careful these days. That was expensive and miserable!!

16. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

That's the stuff I was talking about :)

17. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    http://www.ncnatural.com/wildflwr/obnxious.html
    It works for me and I get a serious allergic reaction when exposed to poison ivy / oak. If you decide to get the shots, be sure to read the 10 page side effects report they give you.

PS: To quickly identify it in the woods, look at the leaf tip to the second vein. It looks like the teardrop shape of an eye.

18. lovetherascals

lovetherascals Well-Known Member

Milk of Magnesia. Seriously- I know it sounds weird but you'd be amazed at the things this stuff works on. Acne, poison, even can be used as an underarm anti-perspirant if you have sensitive underarms.

19. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Is it a southern thing to just refer to it as "poison" and not poison ivy, oak, etc.? I've never heard it referred to simply as poison, but I wasn't born and raised in the so I figure that might be why. I wasn't sure what I was going to read when I saw the title of the thread, but I thought someone might have been trying to kill a rat or something. :oops:

No matter what the expression, I do hope you get some relief!! :grouphug:

20. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Best stuff for poison ever! Takes away the itch immediately and the next morning it's gone.