Christmas Angels 2011

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Sep 15, 2011.

1. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I know it's only September! ~ Webbie, can you sticky us~

This year, we've decided to start a little bit earlier than normal. Mostly because it never fails that every year, about the middle of December, we're running around like chickens with our heads cut off wondering if we'll get enough in donations to meet the need.

For background on the Christmas Angels project, you can see the following threads...

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=31558&highlight=Christmas+Angels

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=27617&highlight=christmas+angels

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=21503&highlight=Christmas+Angels

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=15350&highlight=christmas+angels

http://www.4042.com/4042forums/showthread.php?t=10249&highlight=Christmas+Angels

So...what do we need from you now?

Anytime between now and December, we are accepting monetary donations. This gives us a good start should the physical donations not come in as much as we'd like once we select families.

To contribute with cash/check/paypal:

At anytime, you can paypal a donation in ANY amount to DaisiLou@aol.com

Send me a PM and let me know you have a donation and I can either give you a mailing address, or can arrange to have someone pick it up.

Also, please start thinking about families... We will start taking nominations in late October.

Thank you!

2. TheBigMcK

TheBigMcK Guest

Hi ~ are you 501(c)(3) so that donations are tax deductible?

3. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Why didnt you just ask with your normal account?

4. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

Wow, you've been sitting on this account since 2006?

5. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Is there an official committee for this? I didn't see anything that mentioned who the members are that ultimatly make the decision about things like what family gets chosen, how funds are distributed, etc. and how other people can become part of that process as well. I'd love to help with the logistical side of things, but don't know anything about the committee. Thanks! :cheers:

6. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

The core of the committee hasn't changed since 2006. We would love your help on the logistical side, we have a hard time picking up donations, drop offs etc... so we would welcome your help. Thanks so much for the offer. :cheers:

7. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We do not have a federal tax id #, we would be glad to provide a receipt for your donation, however, you should check with your CPA to see which donations are TAX deductable. Thanks so much for question. If you have any other questions feel free to let me know.

8. J34

J34 Well-Known Member

Thanks for doing this again! And thanks for stickying it. I like to think of myself as organized, but alas, I am not, so it may be another month or so before I actually have anything to give to you. :)

9. RCARP

RCARP Well-Known Member

I would love to help with this. Please let me know when you guys get together to fully plan things out.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Found this picture of P from last year.

[​IMG]

11. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

I wasn't going to say anything but think I will this go around. Years ago, we were actually recipients of this generous donation. It was a year we were socked w/ unforeseen medical expenses & surgeries out the ying yang. We didn't know how Christmas was going to happen. It's hard b/c you don't want to ask for help when you have a job and are doing everything "right." Just happen to be a year that things didn't go so right (cars broken, repairs, medical expenses, etc.) and we did need help though didn't want to admit it. Christmas Angels gave us that help to give our kids a Christmas. Since then, we've been able to donate to this great cause and intend to do the same this year. Can't donate till November though. Anyhow, I just wanted others to know that this IS real, it DOES help, and the people appreciate it more than you will ever know. So if any of you have your doubts, please put those aside. This makes all the difference in the world. I'm not sure how many folks are on this forum. I'm sure it's in the hundreds. Can you imagine if just every member on here gave $20, more if they could spare it? Many families could be helped. There are so many in our own community that need help. And having the knowledge that this could be helping one of your neighbors I think is priceless. I don't know exactly who started this program, but I can say they are truly Christmas Angels. Thanks for all you do. Hopefully, next year I can get even more involved.

Take care,

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

I think you should use it as your Christmas CARD!

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

and thanks Craig, for covering up PRM's "gifts". :mrgreen:

14. VolleyGrl

Nobody is trying to hurt anyone. :oops: I think it would be nice to know the members of the board who make up the committee so that when the "we" is discussed we know who is handling everything and acting as representatives of the group. And maybe the tax ID# isn't a bad idea if this is growing in terms of the donations being given to the families, etc. I don't know about everyone else, but I don't have a lot to give and it would be nice to be able to have a record for tax purposes, know who the people are that is handling the money I am donating, how the families are chosen, etc. I don't think that's too much to ask. It's certainly not an attempt at sabotaging anything. If anything, I think more transparency may increase donations. Again, I'm happy to help with picking up donations, people can drop them at my house if needed, etc.

15. KellBell

No need to fix something that isn't broken....just sayin' :)

It's been going on for years with no problems. It's always been a huge success and many families have been helped along the way. JenK has always been the one that handled it alongside many others on here.

Just curious VG, you've been around for a couple of years now, just wondering why the interest in the fine details this year? know something we should all know about? :allears:

16. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Just an fyi for the folks inquiring about the 501c3 status...it is a MAJOR process with time and expense involved. Simply applying for a tax ID # online does not get you the non-profit designation. It is a long, drawn out process of filing with the IRS that right off the bat requires $500 and that is in addition to registering the entity with the state, at least a $60 expense depending on how the entity is registered. I've done it before and am currently involved with an organization doing it now. It is not as easy as people think. It also requires a board of directors be named, officers, meeting minutes kept and a CPA/accountant to file taxes each year.

As a previous poster mentioned, this is just something small and a "love offering" of sorts that is just neighbors helping neighbors. If you're looking to get a tax write off, there are plenty of organizations available for that. And FWIW, some of those organizations I wouldn't give money to if my life depended on it because of how much of it goes to overhead and management salaries, gets mismanaged, etc. Everyone involved with Angels from what I understand are completely volunteering their time. That's enough for me to know right there. This is neighbors helping neighbors and from what I've seen on 4042, works just fine. Besides from the point I see in working with people on a daily basis, a $20, $50 or even $100 donation rarely changes a tax return by even a penny. Don't mean to offend anyone by my post, just throwing out some facts based on experiences...

17. VolleyGrl

I have been around for many years and known about it, but it seems to have really increased in the number of donations, etc. each year and because of that I think it's more important to have more details of who is handling the money, how decisions are being made, whether there has been discussion of applying to become a recognized charitable organization (which I am happy to research). I know that JenniferK, kaci, Harley, etc. have been involved. This has started to be a lot of donations and money and there are lurkers who may be hesitant to inquire about things are being handled and therefore hesitant to donate. It sounds bad and like I'm trying to be a downer because it's the businessy side of things, but it's not intended that way AT ALL. I really think there is potential to double and triple donations, but that may entail tweaking how things are handled (ie. the tax status, etc.), but maybe not. I was just saying it's something people may want to know about as things continue grow. :cheers:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  18. VolleyGrl

I totally get this. Again, I wasn't trying to be downer at all and I'm sad if it was taken that way, but the small thing has grown and what I was thinking is that with the potential to grow even more and new people coming to 4042.com every year we may consider having even more information available to everyone. I also know that with as many contacts as we all have in the community things like the 501c(3) status costs, etc. could be taken care of pro bono or at a reduced fee or people could give a few dollars from each donation to offset the cost of paying the registration fees, etc. It sounds like we have plenty of really involved people who would probably be more than willing to make up a board, etc. I'm just thinking outiside the box and on a bigger scale because there is such potential as we've seen over the last few years. I did not mean to rock the boat!! :oops::oops:

19. KellBell

understand your POV. thanks for clarifying.

Honestly, I like the way it is. Meaning, local folks helping local folks. I would venture to say many who do donate year after year feel this way too. Some of those folks that are helped come on the board and publicly say "thanks". And just knowing that a small group of people can get together to make a difference without all the red tape (tax status, recognized charity ie: more work for people who already have full-time jobs, etc). I think the reason that it has done so well over the years is because it's remained simple. Just my opinion.

:cheers:

20. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

case closed, move it along.