Chicken Pastry?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 8, 2011.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We made anought chicken pastry for johnston county Wednesday night! :lol:

We use Annies Frozen Noodles and they are good!!!

2. tukasiya

tukasiya Well-Known Member

I have heard only a few people call chicken pastry "chicken slicks". That is what my Grandmother called it. She used to roll the dough herself with a glass dough roller. Years ago, the vinegar companies used to sell vinegar in a cylindrical bottle with a metal cap. When the vinegar was used up, you filled the bottle with cold water which prevented the dough from sticking to the roller. She rolled dough with that same roller for 75 years and gave it to me not long before she died at age 95. I can't believe that she did not break it over Granddaddy's head. Her secret was that she added a stick of butter to the pot before she added the dough. Sure was good. I miss my Grandmother's chicken slicks.

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

That's a great story, so sweet!

4. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

We make all the packaging for the Anne's at my company. They also come in a 12oz. box, 24oz. box, organic version, and a whole wheat version.

5. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

What a perfect day to make the chicken pastry! Went to Foodlion yesterday and of course the didn't have Anne's pastry (just the whole wheat version and I did not feel like experimenting with it),they also did not have Atkinsons nor Ms Lib's,SO I guess I'm going to try to make my own,they did have some by a company called Mary B's but nobody had mentioned them so I didn't want to take a chance with them.They did not have the Grillmates poultry seasoning either so I bought some other poultry seasoning.We'll see how it all works out,at the moment the chicken is still cooking...

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I didn't know Mary B's made pastry. I love their tea biscuits! I use Atkinson's most of the time, but have used Anne's as well. I used to make it homemade with my grandma many years ago, but haven't made it in years. I don't use poultry seasoning in mine, just chicken, salt, pepper and a stick of butter when I put in the pastry. Now I want some too! Good luck with yours!! I'm off to thaw a chicken! :p

7. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

My great grandmother used to make Chicken Dumplings for Christmas Eve....they were so good they would make you walk home to slap your mama on Sunday.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers: Good food always brings good memories.

I'm going to have to make more soon, DH didn't get his fill. I'd made a BIG batch, left it cooling on the counter before I put it in the fridge and......................forgot them. I was horrifed to see them still sitting out the next morning. He called me later asking where his chicken and dumplings for lunch. Sorry honey!!! :oops:

9. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

So what's the difference between Chicken Dumplins and Chicken Pastry?

10. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Dumplins like i grew up with is made with biscuits, pastry is made with noodles.

11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Yep, what Kaci said. Dumplings are just biscuit dough cooked in the broth (I season my dough too). Pastry is noodles, they are done different ways down here. I don't care for any of the store bought ones, but that's just me. Maybe I haven't had good ones.

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i remember when i first moved down here i heard someone say Chicken Pastry and all i could picture was breakfast pastries with chicken on them. In VA pastries are sweet:lol::lol:

13. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Good to know....I never heard of Chicken Pastry till I moved here from Alamance County. However, my great grandmother was originally from Rocky Mount so I wasn't sure how it could be a regional thing. Now I know it's not.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I thought it was like a pot pie...............boy was I suprised when I ordered it, LOL.

15. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Moved here... meaning via the Mayflower? :lol:

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

:twisted::twisted::twisted::lol:

17. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I was born and raised down East (Washington County) and my Mama and Grandma called it chicken 'pastry'. They used the strips of dough and called it pastry. But I have had chicken and 'dumplins' too. Which consisted of the (same) dough being rolled in balls, instead of strips.

18. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Me too.

Sherry

19. AnnetteL

The pastry dough just contains flour and water while the dough for the biscuits also contains either shortening or butter.

20. AnnetteL

Thanks!
    I think I'll add some butter too,don't know if it will be a whole stick or not but probably ;)...