Chicken Pastry?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Sep 8, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

:lol:

2. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only one. :lol:

3. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Not as suprised as I was the day I ordered a crab sandwich (thinking crab cake on a bun or similar) and out comes an actual breaded whole crab on a bun. Regional things this VA girl had never seen before. I just remember the legs hanging out the sides of the bun. It's been years, but I still laugh about it anytime I see "crab sandwich" on a menu. :jester:

4. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I make a BIG pot, so it takes the whole stick! I just got back from food lion (east 42)...we are definitely having chicken pastry for dinner and Krispy Kreme doughnuts for that late night glass of wine. (I couldn't turn down a chance to support the kids at St. Jude!) Glad the weather is cool. I will be walking this off all weekend!!:mrgreen:

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Come on by 'bout 5:00. Gotta feed the young'uns something warm before the football game tonight!! It's gonna be COLD out there!! :)

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Thats how they serve soft-shell crabs. Lots of times I get the Spider Roll when we get sushi, and its a softshell crab in the sushi roll. Both ends had the legs sticking out... I think they're good!!! But I do remember when I was little and we were on the Chesepeake somewhere with my aunt and uncle and he ordered the crab sandwich and it came out like you described and I just couldn't believe he was going to eat the whole thing. :mrgreen:

7. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

That's funny. Growing up I didn't like the pastry. But I'd use up 4 biscuits sopping up a plate of juice in a heart beat! I ain't so picky these days. I'd love to have some of Grandma's pastry today. This damn diet is killing me!

McCall's has pastry on Tuesday's. DH point's that out on occasion. lol

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:lol:

I was sitting there going WTH??? I didn't know about soft shell crabs at the time and I really thought they were playing a joke on me or something. My boss at the time had ordered the same thing and we were cracking up once the shock wore off..

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

:cheers:

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

You beat me to it......LOL

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I've only seen a fried soft shell crab once. I thought they were just being lazy, lol. It was the whole thing. Are you supposed to eat the whole thing? Just bite into it?

12. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

yes. some soft shell crabs, the smaller ones can be cooked perfect and you eat the whole thing. they are actually pretty good if done right. my husband will catch them and grill them up in their wholeness...and they are yummy.

13. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

Mary B's biscuits are good, but I don't like the Mary B's pastry. Too thick and gooey, no matter how long you cook it.

14. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Never heard of Chicken Pastry until we moved to North Carolina. My grandmother used to make Chicken and Dumplings from scratch and the dumplings were paper thin. She would roll them out and she knew exactly when to stop. She also made them with pork chops and homemade bread. That was back when we cranked ice cream and coke was in a bottle. Wonderful days.

Sherry

15. countrydan

countrydan Well-Known Member

Great Chicken and Pastry

Here's my mother's recipe...and it is great. use thighs and maybe beforehand, you saved some scraps and put them in the freezer for making tasty pastry. Put chicken in pressure cooker with about two or three cans of chicken broth and a few bullion cubes. Cook chicken, take out and debone.
    add chicken pieces and pastry and cook about five minutes (don't forget salt and pepper. This makes a very tasty dish. I love it.