So I'm trying to find a house ...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Bookworm77, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Bookworm77

Bookworm77 Guest

After about a month of looking at houses I've concluded that I can either have a house I like or I can have a short commute to work, and the former is winning out.

... Which means moving to the Clayton/Smithfield area. Are there any subdivisions or streets I should avoid?

Oh and hi, by the way. This is my first post :)

2. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

Welcome. My husband commutes to Cary everyday. Not a bad commute unless you're stuck in accident traffic as we all know. However, living out here, we have many options on which way to go. Have you decided what part of Clayton you're interested in?? Possible schools? We live in the Cleveland School area & absolutely love the area and the neighborhood we're in. Do shop around as there are many options out there. Just wanted to say welcome aboard and good luck on the house hunt. The FMrealty site does a great job w/ searches. You can plug in a bunch of parameters which helps. Great time to buy a home for sure! Hope you find the home of your dreams. I do know this area is fantastic. The people are even better.

Stephanie-- mom to 7 (soon to be 10!!!)

3. Bookworm77

Bookworm77 Guest

We looked at a house in the Cleveland area but it didn't thrill us. Living in that area would give me a 30-35 minute commute - not horrible, of course, but could quickly become horrible if gas flies up over $4 a gallon again.

I've heard good things about the new high school, though, and that's certainly a factor since I'll have a high schooler in a few years. So yeah, I'd consider that area if I could find something I liked.

Thanks for the FMRealty.com suggestion, I'll check it out! :)

4. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

I highly recommend Jenn Cole from GoRealty to help you with your home buying in this area. Jenn lives in the Cleveland area, and is very familiar with the surrounding neighborhoods from Garner to Raleigh.
    Her contact info:
    Jenn Cole
    919-491-5109
    jcole@gorealty.biz
    Blog: http://www.noplacelikehere.biz

5. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Highly recommend MamaApe on this board as a realtor par excellence. PM her for your real estate needs.

6. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Clayton and Cleveland are GREAT areas to live with a diversity in housing options. I would choose those areas over Smithfield ... actually I would not live in Smithfield. You must be new to the area?

7. Bookworm77

Bookworm77 Guest

I have a wonderful realtor but thanks for the suggestions :)

I'm semi-new, I guess. I've lived in Raleigh for 3 years. Haven't seen much of the sticks but Mr. Bookworm is just dying to get out of the city. I wouldn't mind being able to go outside at night and see stars and hear crickets, either.

8. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

We live in a subdivision off Cornwallis rd/Cleveland rd; we have clear skies and crickets, frogs and deer running through our creek and woods. We have 2 acres, each neighbor has a few acres as well, on a cul-de-sac a block long. Our address says Garner, but technically the west end of Clayton (our phone number is Clayton). Clayton proper has city expenses that we do not here (we used to live there, but now live in the suburbs). Husband commutes to work right off Capital Blvd in Raleigh; it takes him about 40 minutes. I work in the 40/42 intersection, which is 3 miles away for me. Keep looking; you can certainly find what you are looking for, in the "boonies"!:)

9. Lolly42

Lolly42 Well-Known Member

You mentioned a high school age child. Do you have younger children as well?

10. Bookworm77

Bookworm77 Guest

Not in high school yet ... we have a few more years. And I have just the 1 bookwormlet :)

11. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    One of my neighbors build a house for his daughter about a couple of years ago,his daughter moved and now the home is going into foreclosure,so it should be quite affordable! It is a nice 3 bedroom,2 bath house with fireplace and sits on approximately an acre of land which is bordered by woods.It is near McGee's Crossroads and about 7 minutes away from I-40 at exit 319.

12. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

What size house are you looking for? That might help with recommendations.

13. roca1216

roca1216 Well-Known Member

I sent you an email but look in Swift Creek Subdivision off of cleveland road. There are 3 houses for sale. Highschools are new, great area and close to 40 and 70.

14. Bookworm77

Bookworm77 Guest

Size - at least 1250 square feet; 3BR 2BA. No more than 140k.

15. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

The house that I mentioned should be way below that.

16. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

17. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

The Little Creek Farms sub-division off of Jack Rd has a couple houses for sale and a few new homes being built. I'm pretty sure they are all at least that size.

18. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

We live in the Flowers Plantation area off Hwy 42E. (not far from Smithfield/Wilson Mills) and we love it.

19. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Hi, Bookworm .. you should have your pick around here ... trust me, it's a buyers market!! Look at foreclosures .. there are a ton around. My neighbors house was valued at around 130k .. 3 bedroom 2 bath .. 1300 sq ft, almost an acre of property. They foreclosed and it went to auction, sold for 89k! (my poor property value ... *sob*)

Take your time and look around. Talk to people. Scout out areas. Other houses on my street have been for sale for over a year ... no one is buying, so take your time and find what's best for you!!

20. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Buffalo Creek (Archer Lodge/Flowers area) has TONS of empty house. I drove through there the other day. One cul de sac alone had 2 or 3.