Mule Days...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Oh goodness! LOL

We'll try anything once, twice if we like it! :lol:

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I enjoy the Clayton HF myself....

3. AutismMom

AutismMom Member

We go for the parade and then leave. Hope it's not too bad Sunday morning when I head to church! :shock:

4. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

That's exactly right. I'm still not sure why waiting an hour to get on the main drag was fun, but it was.

5. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

We are in town and my kids enjoy riding around the first part of the week, just looking at folks setting up their camps and such. Normally on Friday night we take them up behind The Grove and let them get a treat from one of the vendors and just walk around in that area. Saturday, of course, we will go to the parade..other than that, I AVOID it! I try to stock up on all essentials and if I must go to the store, I drive to Four Oaks.

It just gets a little scary when you run up on someone who CAN"T control their horse and who probably ONLY rides one THAT weekend. Oh, and don't forget, they probably have a beer in one hand and a cell phone in the other! :lol:

6. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

My husband talks about cruising thru Benson all the time and I cannot comprehend that it was such a big deal. There's nothing here! Wish I could've seen it back then...:lol:

7. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

Well I plan on going and having a blast. I took off work so we can start Thursday night. HG if you go call me. PM me for my new number.

8. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

there was even less there back then! it was just another way to flirt and pick-up members of the opposite sex, show off your car, probably some drinking involved back then too as the legal age was 18, there was nothing else to do, no where to go/hang-out etc

my son (now 24) couldn't wait to go the yr he'd first gotten his license (and we're not from Benson, his friends had told him about it) - it's just a local rite of passage I guess? :lol:

9. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Wow...I have PLENTY of Benson stories! I was there every weekend. I do think the businesses realized they shot themselves in the foot when the banned cruising. Having graduated from SJHS, cruising Benson was the thing to do. I didn't go much after my dear friend, Chris (aka Wildazz) was killed down there. Sad.

How many of you remember these phrases...
    "Go to Byrd's!"
    "Meet me at T-Mart."
    "Behind the Arcade!"

LOL Those were the days!

10. You aren't missin' anything. One of the fringe benefits of having my kids grown and gone is, no more band = no more KKK Days!! :hurray: Couldn't stand watching a bunch of drunks drive up and down the streets with rebel flags hanging off the back of their trucks while walking by the Klan recruitment booth. Heritage not hate, my foot.

11. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

Me, too. Wasn't my type of festival. For me, it was actually pretty boring. Some funny stories I've heard about it though. One year, someone put a mule in one of the motel swimming pools! Actually, the person that told me said that the poor animal nearly drowned...so as funny as it sounded, it wasn't for the mule, of course.

12. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Not mine either. If I want to see a bunch of rowdy rednecks all I have to do is go to my in-law's.

13. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I used to go with my friends when I was teenager. We loved cruisin and people watching.

14. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:lol: :cheers:

15. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I'd like to know how much of the Mule Days crowd is Johnston County and what is out-of-towners.

16. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I went cruising once in a while with friends my junior and senior year in high school. As Jester pointed out, many of the folks who came around were from out of town (particularly from Fayetteville). It felt safe at the time, but looking back, it probably wasn't. I am amazed at how calm it was then compared to what it is now.

17. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

It's probably more out-of-towners - just look at all the folks that camp. Folks come from all across the nation for this event! :banghead:

18. Tangerine

You might be suprised at the amount of locals that camp out there.

19. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

We are planning on Th night with my sis and over the weekend Saturday to see CC Ryders, if I don't hate it Thursday. :lol::lol:

You've got a PM :mrgreen:

20. Tangerine

We ran into your sis last year at the tar pit. Don't think I've seen her since.