Mule Days...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by harleygirl, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

My EMT DD will be working Mule Days..oh boy...guess she will be busy! What kind of law enforcement presence do they have at night? HP or sheriff only?

2. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

All of them...

3. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

My stepbrother and his dad used to come yearly, it was a big deal to them. They lived in Fredericksburg, VA.

4. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:lol: We always thought we were safe too. As teens, we believed we were invincible.

5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Apparently two people think Mule Days is worthy as their wedding venue...:shock:

While looking at jobs on CL, I saw someone planning to get married there, if they can find a minister.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2011
  6. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

They will usually have police presence from other towns as well to help out. I think it was last year that a Clayton officer was injured during a fight at a local Benson bar during Mule Days.

7. Cleopatra

Oh yeah, he was stabbed - wasn't he?

8. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I believe you're right, Cleo. Not sure if he was intentionally stabbed or just got jabbed while trying to break it up. You know, when a small little town has to have a law enforcement force the size of the Raleigh PD to keep people in check, you have to question just how safe it is...especially at night.

Just about everyone I have talked to that lives in the area always seems to dread Mule Days coming around. Its a boon for the local economy but seems to be a breeding ground for trouble. Probably has a lot to do with the nighttime events and overnight camping. Other multiple day events are held without the reputation and I can't believe that livestock brings out the worst in people. I mean...really...Mule Days complete with horses, mules and donkeys, carries practically the same stigma as some biker rallies. Doesn't that seem absurd?

9. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

Yes he was. We were there where it happened.

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

Wow...I guess I don't remember the Klan recruiters there. :? It has been many years since I went but dang!

11. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I was just asked to perform a wedding there.

12. Cleopatra

I bet you were lmao!! Are you?

13. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing...I have gone every year since I moved up here 8 years ago and I have NEVER seen that presence around.

14. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Actually, they came across as sincere and wanting to do it cowboy/cowgirl (no sexual puns allowed, folks) and I told them that Yes, I do ride horses, have boots, and will ress with bolo tie and formal black stetson.

And, yes, if a couple is sincere, I'm all for it. Sounds like a lot of fun...

15. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

ride em cowgirl,,

16. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

As Mule days has grown over the years it's gotten worse. back when I was growing up in the mid/late 80's we would cruise Benson during Mule days and with a few exceptions of public drunkeness there wasn't any trouble. Seems that the more "famous/infamous" it becomes the more rowdy/troublesome it becomes.

18. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

No, those are the Boyd's.

19. Sherry A.

Thanks.

Sherry

20. Sherry A.