9 yr old wants to learn to sew

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by cathy0517, Sep 19, 2011.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

My 9 yr old daughter loves everything American Girl and she wants to make clothes for her dolls. I have a sewing machine but don't have the skill or patience for sewing. Does anyone know anyplace that has sewing lessons for her age?

2. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

I learned in 4-H, did you check into that at all?

3. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

We bought our girls a sewing machine for Christmas many years ago and it's never been out of the box! They learned to sew in middle school and were making pillows and blankets. I don't do any sewing other than hemming pants if absolutely necessary but would love to also learn some basics on the machine. I don't even know how to thread the "darn" thing lol.

4. All Children First

All Children First Well-Known Member

5. Casceysmom

Casceysmom Guest

6. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

4-H is a good way to do it. You would have someone to guide her and are not having to be paying for "private" classes. I learned in 4-H then took home ec in hs. I learned basics there and then went on my own. I can't do anything fancy but I did sew for my children when they were small and made a lot of my clothes. Once in awhile I still make something especially if I see material I like.
    Pattern instructions are pretty simple now and there are great books and I am sure you could search Youtube for beginning sewing for online tutorials.

7. cathy0517

Thank you, I will check this out.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

10. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

11. cathy0517

Thanks, I'll check it out.