Suggestions for dinner in downtown Clayton?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by firefly69, Sep 24, 2011.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Looking for the best place to eat downtown for dinner. Do you have a favorite spot? Do we need reservations for a weekend dinner? What do you order? We usually go to Raleigh, but need to stay close this weekend. Suggestions?? TIA!! :cheers::allears:

2. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

Its not downtown but it's close by....I like Skylines. Nice atmosphere and the Pork Tenderloin was very yummy!

Mulberry on Main is good too....can't remember what I ate there though.

3. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Depending on how formal or informal you want to go there is Flipside, Lucky Chicken, Clayton Steak House, and Mulberry on Main.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  4. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I second (or is it third?) Mulberry on Main. Casual, but not too much so -a grown up restaurant you might say, good for date night or a nice family dinner- and reasonable priced.

Cuisine is Italian-American.

5. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Make sure to inquire as to when Mike Devine is singing. He was most recently seen as Tony in the Clayton Youth Theater's production of West Side Story. His vocals are, well, Divine :~) !!

6. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Thank you all! Looks like it's Mulberry on Main. The online menu looked good! Just hope we can get a table since they don't take reservations (according to their website). I appreciate the suggestions! :mrgreen:

7. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

The wait usually isn't too bad (if there is one), and they have a nice bar and seating area while you are waiting. IMHO... its worth the wait!

:cheers:

8. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

Also, Clayton Steakhouse has the best steaks I have had in years! I highly suggest that restaurant as well!!

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Reviving this discussion...was planning to have special dinner at Mulberry on Main on Thursday, but according to their website, they are closed for two weeks for the holidays. :confused: I thought that was unusual.

In any case, plan B would be Clayton Steakhouse (local) or Ruth's Chris, Fleming's, or Sullivan's. I've never been to Clayton Steakhouse or Fleming's and it has been a while since I have visited the others. I love Angus Barn, but wanted to do something different this anniversary. Suggestions? Thoughts? TIA!

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

That's what I was thinking too...thanks! Thinking about trying the North Hills location. Haven't been to that one, but really enjoyed the one in Cary years back. We don't get out much, but this one is special! I have officially been married half of my life tomorrow (21 years)! :mrgreen:

11. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Oooh...their menu looks good too, thanks! I saw it when I googled steak house in Raleigh, but I didn't know anything about it. Is it a small place? The pictures looked nice and cozy. I love that we had a Christmas wedding, but it can be tough fighting the crowds to celebrate our anniversary! Reservations are a must! Thanks again!

**I like the way they cut the steak at your table and cook over charcoal. Reminds me of the Beef Mastor in Wilson, but nicer.

13. BuzzMyMonkey

you won't be disappointed, its truely a hidden gem, not to large and is cozy

14. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

15. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Our group from work used to go to Peddler's for special things. It was really good then and the service was great.

16. BuzzMyMonkey

to get a vegtable is overpriced let alone the steak , its all based on opinion and perception I guess

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Have to agree, I am not a big steak eater, and have only at at Chris twice (once in Raleigh and somewhere else in North America) and both times had to be the best I ever had!

18. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Went to the one in Atlanta a few years ago. Wife(then) and I each had a filet, SHARED a side order of broccoli, and had a couple of beers each. The steak tasted like it had been broiled in butter, no seasoning at all (or butter) on the broccoli, and the bill, best I remember, was over $100.
    The filet was a great cut of beef, the broccoli was, very generously enough for two, a whole stalk. They could have taken the butter from the steak and put it on the broccoli and I would have been happier.
    Not a bad meal, but certainly not worth $100, not in my book anyway.

AND - this was several years ago.

If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place. :)

19. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

:iagree:

20. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

Mulberry on Main closed for the holidays already? I was supposed to pick up a gift card for my parents for there!