need advice-palmetto bugs

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ginger1989, Sep 28, 2011.

1. ginger1989

ginger1989 Well-Known Member

Anyone know the best way to get rid of them. I HATE them and they seem to be everywhere. A few have made it into the house. I need safe extermination. 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 kids.
    TIA

2. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

boric acid

3. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

What do you do with it?

4. dgsatman

dgsatman Well-Known Member

Sprinkle it in cabinets, along baseboards, in closets.

5. ZUMBAbyMARIE

ZUMBAbyMARIE Well-Known Member

Ah the lovely "Palmetto" bugs....aka GIANT Cockroaches that fly!!! I lived in Florida for 14 years and will never forget when one flew in my hair. I totally freaked out. :ack:

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I was leaning on the balcony, enjoying the sunset at Topsail over the weekend and felt something tickling my arm. Yep, it was one of those #$%^@ things!!! Talk about freaking you out!!!

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

:ack:

8. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

Mix a little sugar in the Boric Acid and they will be drawn to it, when it gets on them and they ingest the mixture it will kill them. They'll dry right up....I lived in Florida 20 years... YUK!

9. ZUMBAbyMARIE

Oh yea. They eat the paint right off of your car!

10. 27577

27577 Guest

yeah thats safe...

and they are called ROACHES

and if you dont want bugs, I95 runs north. this is nc, we have bugs. sometimes one gets in the house. these roaches are attracted to light. make a dry line about 6" around the perimeter of your house. this will help alot. get all bushes that are touching the house, off the house. same with trees. if you have piles of trash, wood, leaves, natural debis..they live in this stuff, get rid of it. if you live close to woods, then you deal with the occasional bug.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2011
  11. ginger1989

thanks!! I forgot about boric acid.

I know where 95 is thank you very much :jester:

the bugs freak my husband out more than me and I just wanted to use something safe.

12. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I'm with you and your husband. These things freak me out and they are not like the roaches that come with filth. These are huge and they fly but they look like roaches.

Sherry

P.S. Been in the south forever, family is from the south and don't need someone telling me about the south.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  13. ginger1989

We have lived her for 6 years, I lived in SC for 9, So. FL for 3 so I am used to bugs AND snakes here (we don't have pit vipers up north). Again, I was just looking for some friendly advice regarding a safe way to get rid of them. The cold has pretty much gotten them.

FYI: 95 doesn't go to Chicago :mrgreen:

14. ZUMBAbyMARIE

I have a friend who lives in the Philippines and they have HUGE bugs there. He told me as long as it's not bigger than his flip flop he's okay. LOL