Christmas Angels 2011

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Sep 15, 2011.

1. mnredsky

mnredsky Well-Known Member

I say keep asking questions....

It keeps us at the top of the pile until we get "sticked" by Webbie. LOL

2. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I'll be glad to clear a few things up for you.

I can trace CA back to 2004. Since that time, we have added and deleted committee members. The three people who have *always* been a part, I know won't mind me saying who they are; Harleygirl, PRM, and myself. That is NOT to say we haven't had help from others, but those have been the core three.

Typically, we don't make that information public, for one main reason. There have been years we've rec'd a lot of nominations. I take that info back to the people on the committee that year, and we collectively make a decision as to which families to help. It's done this way so that no one goes, say to HG, and tries to sway her, or to PRM, asking for his influence. When I take the families back, I am usually the ONLY person who knows the true identities of the families, I only give the committees their circumstances and basic info.

It works because it's anonymous.

Secondly, as far as the 501 3 c status....well, to be honest, it's pricey and it's a long process. I simply don't have the time to invest into running an organization like that. We started this as a small community outreach, and I think I speak for all of us when I say, that's really what we want it to be, a small community outreach. The people of THIS area, helping the people of THIS area.

We've had donations from all sorts of people, businesses, etc. No one has ever asked for a tax receipt, although I'd be glad to provide them with one. I know that when I give money to the salvation army, or to various charities throughout the year, I don't always get a receipt, and I typically write them off on my taxes.

As far as who is accountable for the money; all donations are filtered thru the three of us. A running tab is kept, Every.Single.Penny that is donated is accounted for and spent on these families. That's the reason there are three of us.

I hope this has answered any questions. If not, please feel free to contact me directly and I will be more than happy to discuss it with you in more detail.

3. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Well said, Jenn. I have always contributed in some small way and will continue to do so. I don't care who receives the help as long as it is someone in need and I have absolutely no problem with donating money to be used as the committee sees fit.

Anybody who wants to make a stink about this can kiss what I'm fixing to sit on. :mrgreen:

ps. I totally stole that last part from KB.

4. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Jennifer. Please let me know how I can help at any point. My questions were not meant to harm or indicate I don't support this 200%. I'm going to send you a family for nomination. I was just thinking outside the box in terms of growth and I also know people who don't know as much about this project as some people do. What you guys have done is a very impressive thing and was actually my point in that with more involvment could become even bigger. I didn't make that clear enough earlier and I apologize. But it's a community board and if the majority of folks want to keep things on a small scale then that's totally okay by me. :cheers:

5. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

CA is absolutely awesome! I can PROMISE everyone that every penny that is donated goes to the chosen families....not to mention the money/time/gas/etc that comes out of the committee.

VG, totally understand what you mean. You clarified your motive and position so I think it's over. :) The main part of CA is to love one another! :grouphug:

6. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I'm going to tell my girls about this! They save up money in a coffee can to use for different things they want. It will be good for them to save money help another family.

7. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I have always thought this was a great idea. We donated for a few years, but know we have not been able to due to our circumstances. I sincerely hope this continues for many years to come! To those that started this and put in their time and effort every year and those that donate, God Bless You!!! One day, hopefully soon, we will be in a postion to donate again.

8. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Ya know, that does bring up a good idea! Save spare change, to donate. Every little bit helps. That spare change adds up! I've got little collections of spare change here and there, I'll keep that aside specifically for Christmas Angels.

9. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

It really does add up. I keep a coffee can too for change, and I take it the change machine at the bank every few weeks. Most of the time it's at least $40 or more!

10. JenniferK

Elims,

We are not above accepting loose change! I can take it to the credit unions machine and not get charged to have it rolled. So yes, please! Just let me know when your jar is full and I'll be glad to come get it!

11. JenniferK

A few of us had a brainstorming session last week and we've come up with a great idea (partially because of you guys!) to help raise money for CA this year!

Do you own a business? Don't own a business, but have the ability to place a donation jar at your place of employment?

We will be more than happy to provide you with a collection jar, with a professionally printed label explaining CA to place at your location! Call us when it's full, and we'll come by and empty it for you. We can take all the loose change and put it in the machine at the credit union with no surcharge!

This is a great way to help, and somewhat painless. People don't seem to miss money quite as much when it's given in small increments, and what could be smaller than pocket change?

You can contact either me, or HarleyGirl to arrange to have your donation jar delivered.

Thanks for your support!

12. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I cannot do very much, but I do have a bike, that was my daughters, that she doesn't want any more. I know it will need some tires and maybe cleaned up a bit. You all are welcome to it for someone that you are going to do Christmas for. I am not sure what, if anything is wrong with it (gears, etc), but it is just sitting here. Overall, I don't believe it is in bad shape, maybe just a good cleaning and some tires. If you are interested and know someone that can take a look at it, you welcome to it. Wish I could do more, but really tight here.

13. JenniferK

FF, thank you very much for your kind offer!

Unfortunately, I am clueless as to how to repair a bike, lol. When we give these gifts, we try to make sure that everything we give is in new or like new condition, so I would feel a little strange giving a bike that needed repair.

However, if there are any 4042 members who CAN repair bikes and would like to take the time to do so, and then donate it, that would be wonderful!

14. JenniferK

***************Christmas Angels Now Taking Nominations**********

Christmas Angels is now taking nominations for families for the 2011 Christmas Season.

Please send your nominations to me by sending me a PM here on the board, or by sending an email to me at DaisiLou@aol.com.

When submitting a family, please include as much information about their situation as you know, and contact information for yourself.

THINGS TO KEEP IN MIND....

We like to help people who help themselves. Maybe they are just down on their luck (job loss, etc). We also like to help those who typically aren't eligible for assistance thru a government agency.

15. JenniferK

Still accepting applications!

The earlier we identify these families, the more we can get done for them!

16. JenniferK

Just wanted to update you all...

As of today, I have only received two nominations for the Christmas Angels.

If I am unable to obtain any from the board, I am going to have to start looking outside the board by calling some of the social workers at school, or the local churches. I would really prefer if they came from here, since "here" is where most of the donations come from.

Please think about who you might know that is having a hard time this year and needs some assistance for Christmas.

Thank you.

17. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i have a thought, instead of taking it outside of 4042.com as that would kind of take away from the purpose of it being part of our 4042.com family, if you don't get any more nominations, then collect for those 2 families and if there is any left over maybe donate to the local Toys for Tots or a local church. i think we ought to consider ourselves very blessed that only 2 have been nominated this year, hopefully that means our little neck of the woods is doing better than in previous years:hurray:

18. JenniferK

You know, that's a great idea. Unfortunately, I am not sure that those two families we received nominations on are eligible based on how we've choosen in the past.

To give you an example without revealing any specifics that would embarrass anyone..

One family has been a benefactor of the Christmas Angels before.

One family does not live, even close to, this area.

19. JenniferK

Update!

We've received a good nomination. I haven't made contact with the family yet, but should soon.

Also, a HUGE shoutout to the Marathon station at 40/42. Not only are these the nicest, local JoCo boys you'll ever meet, they've offered to put a Christmas Angels collection jar at the register!

20. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

You know what, I think we're gonna start buying all of our gas from them (3 cars) because they are such nice people and they are willing to help their community. Kudos to them for helping!