Just my rant on a doctor...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WhatNow, Oct 27, 2011.

1. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

:boxing:

I have high blood pressure. My family doc has been prescribing meds for me for about 3 years now yet it is still not under control. Recently, I went in for a checkup & we went over my meds. I have had to call the office a few times in the past in order to get refills or to change dosage. During my visit, he "scolded" me harshly for calling in about my meds. He said that it takes his staff way too much time to deal with call ins about meds so I should just deal with meds at my 6 month checkups.

Then, he gives me 3 new prescriptions. BUT, he gives me only ONE month with NO refills. HELLO!!! How am I supposed to get refills without calling in. Oh yeah, and on their automated refill line, the recording says that they prefer NOT to have a pharmacy call in for refills & if you are set up to do so please call your pharmacy & remove your name from said program. Geesh - I wouldn't want them to have to actually WORK for a flippin living.

I have been unhappy with this Doc for a while but have tried to give him the benefit of a doubt. However, to add insult to injury, on my last visit, when I asked him why I had a gallstone last year, he responded with a smirk saying "FAT, FEMALE, FORTY." Seems that is a fun saying in the medical community. I had to say "pardon me" because I thought I heard him wrong. He, again, smirked and then said it again. Now I will admit, I am female8) and over 40, & I could lose a few pounds, but don't picture me as huge because I am not. I am tall & I carry my weight pretty well so you would probably not be able to guess my actual weight.

I know he is a Doc & he is thinking of my health, but no need to call me "FAT". I left his office feeling like a TOTAL failure & worthless piece of crap when I went in hoping for some encouragement.

Yesterday, I saw my neurologist - one of the top neurologist in the state. We spoke about my meds. (I have severe nerve damage in a shoulder) He was kind, friendly & encouraging. He told me to call ANY time about my meds & we could adjust the dosage over the phone whenever I need to. This man is big potatoes compared to my family Doc. So I guess today, I have had an epifhany. Why in the heck am I putting up with my jerk of a family Doc and his ****y attitude when one of the top neurologist in the state is 100 times better to me. DUH!!! My family Doc won't even let me talk half the time. Once I asked if I could just say something & he told me "Not right now." :?

Yes, I think I shall be changing Doctors! Anyway, I am just frustrated & felt like venting! :x

2. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

change docs before obama says you can't.

3. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

OHMYGAWD... run for your life and go to another doctor as soon as you can. That is despicable! There are SO many other doctors that will listen to you and treat you with respect.

4. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I would definitly change docs! Why should you continue to PAY him to be rude and insulting!

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm wondering whyt you haven't changed doctors before now. Especially since, as you said yourself, you "have been unhappy with this Doc for a while".

There is no benefit of a doubt when it comes to your health, and your relationship with your doctor is a large part of that. Apparently he feels he has too many patients as it is, so you should do him a favour and lighten his case load.

6. Savealot

Savealot Well-Known Member

I would have laid him out! Change docs!

7. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

ok, that is really bad, now you know i need to know what doc that is as DH is looking for a doc right now, please pm me what practice it is.

8. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I would see a new Dr TODAY.

9. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

i know who you are talking about! i have an appt with them next week and i plan in telling them what i think about that too!

10. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

and maybe the medical board needs to know about his bedside manner. :boxing:

I'd tear him up. That's just me though and I"m a hateful person :lol::lol:

11. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know who this doctor/practice is. About to switch hubby to someone and I definitely wouldn't want it to be this doctor.

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Okay, that was just a few minutes of my life I'll never get back if you are not willing to give the name or at least the location (that place over on whatever road). I mean really. Help some folks out.

13. WhatNow

I will pm anyone wanting to know. I don't want to give the name of the practice as there are several Dr.s there & some may be wonderful (I'm about to find out). So I will only pm.

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

You are right several Doctors/DR. Families do monitor 4042. My Doctor, Dr. Dawkins (best doctor I ever had) had questioned me on some stuff I had posted in the past! :oops:

15. WhatNow

Exactly why I don't want to mention names publicly. Ya just never know.

16. WhatNow

Guess I'm not the only unsatisfied patient. I must say, I was NOT Mrs. polite when I resquested my refills today & guess what.... they got called in IMMEDIATELY. Hmmmm.... so it IS possible. I just do not understand how they can expect patients to wait 48 hours for refills, and are so SNOTTY about it. Yes, we should request them before the last minute but guess what, WE are busy too. Sometimes we forget things. And hey, this is what they get PAID for. If your boss asked you to get a job done right away and you told him in a snotty attitude, well that is not possible, there is a 48 hour turnaround on my work. Guess what, you would get FIRED. :x

17. WhatNow

I just want to say that the nurses assigned to my inconsiderate doctor, have always been no less than kind & helpful. The nurse I spoke to today was SO helpful. She really is excellent at her job. Sad that the nurses get the brunt of the doctor's lack of communication skills. And I know they get paid SO much less.

18. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I am a nurse in a cardiology office. These policies you mention baffle me. WE want our patients to contact the pharmacy, and have them contact us. Otherwise, we get two requests, one from the patient, and one from the automatic refills from the pharmacy, creating double work. This is the policy of most doctor's offices, I know I call other offices all the time, and listen to their recorded instructions. We also give one year refills on most meds. Ones that require close monitoring get fewer refills. He is working his staff to death giving only one fill, and making you call the office each time. Of course with these policies and attitude, he probably doesn't have many patients.
    We also will usually make one change to meds over the phone. A second change usually requires a visit. Depends on the patient, how long we have been seeing them, etc.
    Please PM me with the name of this doctor. I want to make sure it is not one to whom we are referring patients. Our patients deserve better!

19. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

If you are looking for a new doctor, I can tell you that I have been very impressed with Dr. Harris at Horizon Family Medicine in Clayton. If I run out of a med before my scheduled visit, I have never had a problem getting another month supply to get me over the hump. He listens to what I say, I don't feel rushed, and he takes my opinions and ideas into consideration when prescribing meds.

20. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

I would like to know the dr in mention. Please pm me.