Cannot imagine what these parents are thinking

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Boxwood977, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Boxwood977

Boxwood977 Active Member

Nuff said

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

kids don't care if it's raining. Like Grinder said, they look forward to this for a month. It's the parents that get aggravated about the rain. Definitely not the kids.

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Mine didn't want to go out in the rain. They prayed they rain would stop.. well they didn't actually pray but they did grunt and groan a lot. But they didn't want to be in it. So we ate our own candy. :mrgreen:

No one came here.

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

5. busymama

busymama Well-Known Member

Geez.......do you remember at all what it's like to be a kid and to be excited about something??

6. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

Did anyone have "big" kids come to your door? :lol: I swear it looked like some high school kids were trick-or-treating last night.

7. shar824

shar824 Well-Known Member

We still went trick or treating in high school??? That bears the question, how old is too old to trick or treat for candy? My opinion is 15/16 I think.

But in answer to your question, nope, we don't get trick or treaters ever.

8. Roadman

Roadman Member

Trick or Treating

I guess my wife and I are horrible, when my daughter was 3 and my son was five we lived in Vermont - we took them out trick or treating for an hour and a half in the snow and 20 degree weather - they wore their snowsuits under their costumes and had a great time - they still remember it 10 years later - every year they enjoy talking about all of the costumes they wore in the past.

9. JustAnotherMom

JustAnotherMom Well-Known Member

My 6'4" 15yr old sophomore was out and he was in full costume! LOL he didnt go far though, only people that know him :)

10. nsanemom22

That's what I worry about. Mine is a big kid. He's nearly 5'9'' and only 12. He's always been so much taller than everyone else. Little tiny kids get babied and treated all cutsey and bigger kids get treated like big kids even though they are the same age. People have been giving him the stink eye at halloween for a few years now. But my short one racks up.

11. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I'm glad you said this. I didn't think about the taller kids at the same age as some of the shorter ones. When they're in costume it's hard to tell how old they are. I'll think about that next year! :cheers:

12. 4ME2KNOW

4ME2KNOW Well-Known Member

$30 for costumes....$20 for candy (The good kind)....The look on my little ones face as they said "Trick or Treat" & made lots of memories...PRICELESS!!!

My Mom always told me I wouldn't melt in the rain and I haven't thus far. It's not like we submitted our kids to Waterboarding! It was just a light drizzle!

Also, I don't mind the teenagers that come by as long as they have a "good" costume! I've had them show up at my door in previous years with nothing but a book bag. :roll:

13. nsanemom22

Oh I know. I remember three guys came to my door once they were all much taller than me. I gave them the stink eye too. These boys even had deep voices lol. But they were having fun. I think they came through twice. I even asked them had they already been. I laughed at them and gave them more candy. They probably have grandkids by now.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

OP would have croaked then at my kid on Saturday. He hiked 17 miles, yes 17 miles with the Scouts in the rain. He's 12. He survived. A few damp trick or treaters wouldn't even raise my eyebrows. LOL

15. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i actually gave kudoos to the parents that brought their kids around even if in a car, like one parent of 2 small ones told me, it wasn't the kids fault it was raining and Halloween only comes once a year:cheers: i was told by other parents that it seemed a lot of houses just assumed because it was raining no one would come and turned their lights off early which was very disappointing to the little ones so for the ones that came out they definitely left my house with a lot more than ONE candy bar. i didn't turn the lights off until almost 10pm since it was such a late start there were still some goblins running around after 9pm once the rain stopped.

Hey JAM, your 6'4 son looked great:hurray:

All in all, we ended up with right many trick or treaters, not as many as past years but still happily surprised at all the ones that did come out.

16. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

I had candy, but with the rain, I figured we wouldn't have any kids, so the porch light wasn't on and the ONLY group of kids we had were 'big' kids - and they weren't even dressed up! Do parents still teach their kids not to go to houses that don't have their light on? I was really surprised cause it was very dark, and our driveway is kinda long, NO lights on - and they still came to the door! Guess thats teenagers for ya. :lol:

17. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Just do what I did to the big kids....stay upstairs and peek out the window....when they start walking up.....hit the car alarm on your keyless entry thing for your car.

They will scatter like cats.

18. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I've always thought that if the kids, teens or otherwise, took the time to make or buy a costume and dress up to trick or treat, they deserve candy too! I just don't give candy to teens who have the audacity to ring my doorbell not in costume and shove a bag in my face for candy. So at my house COSTUME=CANDY!

And about the rain, if the kids are dry under an umbrella coming from a warm car, i don't see the problem. If they are cold and soaking wet, that's not so good. I didn't take my little ones out (they're almost two), but we had a toddler friendly Halloween party with one of their friends instead. They had a much better time than they would have walking in the rain because they're too young to appreciate trick or treating in the rain.

19. DontCareHowYouDoItInNY

DontCareHowYouDoItInNY Well-Known Member

I felt kind of bad for the parents who braved the storm to bring their kids around, so I made it worth it to them. After giving the kids their choice of a Chick Fil A Ketchup or Mayo packet, I gave the parents a soap or shampoo from Comfort Inn. Everyone wins!

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

My 2p...

Last night we went to the mall for trick-or-treat. Way to crowded, and frustrating that barely 10% of the stores participated, and half or better of them ran out before we got to them. But my three year old grandson loved it, so it was worth it.

We got home about 7:30. It was still raining, but the two older grandkids (11 and 13) wanted to go out anyway. We let them go and they came back about an hour later with a huge haul that they shared with their brothers (the aforementioned three year old and the six year old). We, ourselves, got two trick-or-treaters come to the door.

As far as how old is too old, as long as they have a costume I'll hand out treats. But I do have a policy. Kids that look old enough to have kids themselves, or kids that smudge a little dirt on their face and call it a costume get one or two pieces of the cheap stuff. The "real" trick-or-treat kids get a juice pouch.

Speaking of which, handing out juice pouches is a great idea. About a month or so before Halloween, I'll start looking for sales. If you get a good deal, they're only about 15 - 20 cents each. Enough for forty trick-or-treaters is only about $8. And, after feeding off candy as they go door to door, the kids are very thirsty.