A Question For The Ladies

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Clif001, Nov 10, 2011.

1. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I would definitely not suggest buying a CZ, and you definitely don't want to start a new beginning with each other on a lie, so definitely don't lie about it. I agree with the others, find a different stone that has some meaning. The month of your anniversary, the month you are proposing, the month you reconnected. Do you have children together? Their birthstones are definitely meaningful to both of you if you do.
    I also like Main St Jewelers. My husband bought me a ring when each of our daughters was born with their birthstone in it. When my first daughter was born, we could afford much more than when our 2nd was born! I never thought we'd be able to get a ring with a blue saphire in it, but we went there and they had an estate ring that I love! And, they have occasional weekends through the year when the entire store is 50% off. That's when we bought my ring.

2. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't go CZ. And I would consider style as important as stone. Heart shape? Go for something different maybe. You've been this route before.. what about a claddagh? They can get quite expensive and have a beautiful history, to me anyway... Or be so bold as to give her a wedding band itself had have her wear it on her right hand. Do you have that much confidence in your relationship? She's stuck by you for a while now. I think no matter what you give her she'll be happy.

3. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I was just correcting your broad statement. You weren't specific, sorry.

:mrgreen:

4. sdw714

sdw714 Well-Known Member

I have a tendency to like things that are "different" so I wouldn't get a diamond ral or not. I think the stone Peridot is beautiful in a wedding band. It's light green. Cheaper than diamonds Peridot Gemstone Meaning:
    One of the oldest known gemstones, the peridot has been seen as symbolic of the sun, and believed to give protection from nightmares.
    In more recent beliefs, peridot is thought to strengthen life, bring about prosperity, growth, and increase openness.
    It is also believed to help one to understand relationships, and to alleviate depression, anger, fear, jealousy and anxiety.
    Used by Egyptians, Aztecs, and Incas to gently cleanse and heal the physical heart.
    Color: Clear bright lime-green or green-yellow; sometimes tinged with olive or brownish hues.

5. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I just bought myself a gorgeous smoky quartz ring with a huge center stone this weekend for $100 at REEDS. (I have no man to buy such things so I do it myself :lol:) They have some pretty gemstone rings on sale. That being said, I am also of the mind to just enjoy being back in a relationship with your ex and not rush into getting remarried. You can still get her a ring to seal your commitment. Just my thoughts...

6. Tardevil

Tardevil Well-Known Member

My husband and I were in the same boat when he proposed. I have a sapphire ring, it was a total surprise, and it will always be my engagement ring. We have been married for 16 years. If and when he buys a diamond (keeps threatening to), it will not replace the sapphire. I will wear it on a different finger. The sapphire ring sealed the deal, and when I look at it I think about our journey together, not about the stone.

7. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

All that, and it's my birthstone. :)

Took a lunch trip to Helzberg (if any place can be considered "my jeweler", that would be it). I ended up getting a yellow-gold with a string of diamonds weighing in at 1/10ct tw. It was just a touch beyond my budget (no lunch sodas for a month), but it looks nice and will probably make her happy.

Here's the image from their web site:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for everyone's input. Based on y'alls opinions, I decided against CZ. Also, I did want to go with diamond, as I'm more of a traditional kind of guy.

Now, for the perfect time/place to pop the question. :)

8. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

very nice Clif, she will love it!!

good luck

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I see no problem with a CZ as long as that is what she wants and he is upfront about it. I've seen some that could definitley pass for the real thing.
    Hell, I have a couple when an occasion calls for some bling. :jester:

The Diamonique line from QVC that are set in real gold has some nice pieces for reasonable prices, and as long as you don't go gigantic, no one would know the difference.

10. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

+1

11. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

It's beautiful.

12. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

This is nice. I was going to suggest just solid gold band until you can afford a diamond. I have friends that only have solid bands (like a tradition man's wedding ring), and it works for them! Congrats! I love to hear stories of couples getting back together. You never know where life will lead you. My mom has recently reunited with her high school boyfriend from over 40 years ago!

13. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Great choice Cliff, she is bound to love it:hurray:

Allioop, as to the plain gold band, for decades that has been the classic wedding band, it just seems in the past 10 years or so that people expect the wedding band to be jeweled too. In the past, the jeweled band came along later in marriage. At least that is how is was where i was raised.

14. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I haven't worn a traditional wedding band in 15 years. DH got me a gorgeous marquis diamond surrounded by baguettes for our 5th, but we never could find a band to go with it, so I just wore it alone for many years. For our 10th, he got me the one I wear now that has two rows of square diamonds.

Hmmmmm..................I didn't get my "upgrade" for our 20th last year!! Gotta talk to him about that. :jester:

15. CAROLINA SUN

CAROLINA SUN Well-Known Member

How about getting a BRILLIANT CUT WHITE TOPAZ, they are just as pretty as a diamond but not quite as hard!! I have a pendant that I just love and get more compliments than I do for my DIAMONDS... It's not a fake man made stone and classified as a Gem Stone...

16. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

ok Clif is there something you forgot to tell me in our e-mails this morning :D the ring is beautiful and you dont have to have a great big expensive ring to get the right answer from her.

17. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

18. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I think the ring you bought is beautiful Cliff. :cheers:

19. SubMom727

SubMom727 Well-Known Member

Beautiful ring Cliff~ Now to figure out the place & time - you will do as well figuring that out as you did with buying this ring~ Again - best wishes~

20. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

For that, I have no idea. It's no rush, though. I did want to get the ring because I happened to have a few extra bucks this week and wanted to get it while I had the chance.

One big question is, do I ask in from of the family (like at Thanksgiving or Christmas), or do I wait for a private moment when we're alone? Do I plan out a specific series of events culminating in the question, or make it more of a spur of the moment thing?

Decisions, decisions...