Smartphone Advice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I know there's already a thread on this but it's not real current. I am about to trade in my old timey cell phone in for a Smartphone. I'm interested in the HTC Thunderbolt and iPhone4s, but I like some of the others too. I need some advice. Pros/cons of these or other Smartphones. Your favorite? Least favorite?

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

wife just went through this on Friday, and after it was all said and done and she had played with the various phones, she went with the Samsung Galaxy something or other Android phone with the touch screen.

3. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I have the Galaxy and the only thing I don't like about it is that my face touches the screen and hangs up on people or mutes them or dials numbers all the time! Even though it has a feature that turns the screen off, the screen will still come back on while I'm talking. Everything elsse, I love though.

My husband has the new iPhone and doesn't have that problem. I would prefer the iPhone for myself, but it was not available from our carrier when I was upgrading :(

Good luck!

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Mine is the new Samsung Galaxy S2 through sprint. So far I'm tickled to death with it. I went from a "dumb" phone to a smart phone, so i don't have a previous smart phone to compare it to.

The few times I've talked on it so far, I haven't experienced any problems with my face touching the screen and hanging up on anyone. I've downloaded a few apps, it came packed with alot of cool apps.

I compared it to the I-phone 4S, Motorola Photon and the HTC 3D or the HTC EVO Shift. I decided to make a go of it with the touch keypad and ditch the real qwerty keypad. This was a big choice, I have nails and found the Samsung with a little bigger screen is easier to touchscreen type. I also didn't choose the new I-Phone because I didn't want to be limited to only I-apps.

7. LovingLife10

Do you wear earrings often? I find that I have issues hanging up on people most often when I am wearing earrings, and they are interfering with the mechanism that makes the screen stay off while you have it to your ear. It also happens a lot when I am trying to multitask and am using my shoulder to hold my phone. It happens enough to me that I curse at my phone. Maybe mine is defective, who knows!

8. Allioop

What apps would I miss out on with the iphone? I heard that the iphone is the easiest to use. I played around with one in the verizon store this weekend and loved it! The only thing I'd change about it is the screen size and keyboard are smaller than the other phones. My husband and I want to get the same phone and he was worried about his big fingers and the little keyboard on the iphone. lol!

9. LovingLife10

I don't have any apps on my smartphone that my husband doesn't have on his IPhone. If anything, I feel like he has more available than me. He also has big fingers and is able to type well on his iPhone. I do like the swipe feature on the galaxy keyboard, though.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but my family has both and I prefer the iPhone. I also have an iPad, which makes using the iPhone really easy. My husband and I can link our calendars, contacts, music, and other stuff together so we have it on both my iPad and his iPhone.

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I do wear earrings all the time, actually have 3 on the ear that is most frequently aganist the phone, always 2 studs and something dangly or long.

As for what apps you'd miss out on, I don't know... I just don't like the idea of being limited to one conglomerates products for such a versatile product. I did like the Samsung better because of its size, typing on the I-phone was going to be a challenge with my fingernails.

I played with the I-phone while in the Sprint store waiting to be helped... and I could only see myself fighting with "Siri".. I don't need anymore voices to argue with, the ones in my head are already quite enough! LOL. :jester:
    Also, the Samsung does have voice command apps should I choose to use them.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  11. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I have the HTC EVO 4G and love it 99% of the time. No complaints. Sprint itself however is another story. :jester:

I also went with Android because DH is adamantly against Apple and all their proprietary stuff, do not want to be locked into what Apple decides we can have.

12. Allioop

I really don't think I can wrong with any of these phones. Anything is better than what I have now. :lol: I wonder too about battery life of these phones? I have friend who has a newer Droid and her battery runs out so quickly!

13. CraigSPL

From what I've seen is anyone who has Apple products already in their life will perfer the Iphone as it will sync seamlessly with many other Apple products and Apps. That being said Apple is very tight with who they approve to product apps and as such you may not have everything avaiable to you on the Iphone that is available on the Droid OS.

On a couple of other forums I read there is no right or wrong answer as everyone has their own opinions with what they want out of a smartphone. The best bet is to go play with the available options and go with the one you like the best.

14. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I also have the EVO 4G through Sprint. I mentioned in a previous thread my frustrations with my Samsung Moment, to the point where I will never own another Samsung. On the other hand, Sprint was exceedingly cooperative within their policy while I went through my private H-E-Double Hocky Sticks with the Samsung. They replaced the battery several times times and then they allowed me to upgrade sooner than my contract required so that I could get the EVO 4G.

Plus, as far as contract plans, they have the best deal in town.

15. CraigSPL

A lot of that depends on exactly what you have running on the phone killing the battery. Also of note is you can buy higher output batteries for the droids, but with the Iphone you do not have the option of changing the battery yourself as it is built into the phone.

16. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i have had the HG Evo 4g for over a year now and i couldn't be happier, i did purchase the longer life batteries (on Amazon, 2 batteries & charger $19.99) because i use mine a lot and i have not had any problems running out of battery life. Also, i also was worried about switching from a regular keyboard to the virtual one but i absolutely love it. The swype app makes it so easy to use no matter how big your fingers are cause you are not having to hit any single key. All in all, i am very happy with it and am considering giving my son the iphone that they are offering to me for a special deal and just keeping mine.

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Most of the HTC's I looked at had 6 hr talk time, IIRC. The Motorola Photon had 10 hr talk time, and the Samsung that I bought has 8.7 hrs. I'll be interested to see how long before I need to recharge. Will update with that result later. I also am running a live wallpaper, which I know drains batt. life a little faster.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The battery life on this one has been far superior to the last two smart phones I had. The first was a Blackberry, the second was also an HTC smart phone, but can't remember exactly what it was at the moment.

The learning curve going from Blackberry to these touch screen phones was hell though, LOL

19. CraigSPL

My previous crackberry would last a couple of days with a single charge. my current Evo goes 2 days (weekend usage) and I usually get a full work day out of the charge, but it's normally letting me know constantly that it needs to be charged at the end of the day. I have also purchased the extended batteries that Kaci mentioned after reading all the favorable reviews on Amazon.

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

A side note, because Apple controls all the apps, your choices are limited (although on average the quality probably is better). For the Android market you have a couple of options 1) the Android Market, and 2) Amazon.

The Amazon store offers one of the "Paid" applications each day for free! Although most of the freebees are games, I have downloaded $20 office Suites for free at Amazon.