Dewaynes Gardencenter

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by AnnetteL, Nov 15, 2011.

1. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Checked out the Christmas Attic at Dewaynes this morning,unfortunately just about every item I picked to check it's origin was made in China.

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Never heard of this place, where is it?

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

And?

4. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

It's in Smithfield, down the street from the outlet malls.

5. AnnetteL

And?-At the prices they are charging why can't it be made in America?
    A friend of mine bought some fresh garlic the other day which came from China as well,there's something wrong with that!

6. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Shop somewhere else.

If it comes from China, it can't be all that fresh. If you want fresh garlic, try the Farmers Market.

7. AnnetteL

I already go to the Farmer Market on a regular basis.
    As far as shopping somewhere else is concerned I still think that there's something wrong when a business that prides itself on being local sells way too many products that were made in China.

8. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I had no idea Dewaynes "prides itself on being local", except maybe in their garden area. I've never seen anything either on their lot/store nor on their website that said as much.

In my opinion, I don't see this as much of a complaint. You aren't forced to shop there. They don't advertise one price, but charge you another. They don't really carry anything that you can't find somewhere else.

I'm sorry, but I just don't see why you felt compelled to post this.

9. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

Ya know Clif, you are right. So I don't shop there often, actually hardly ever, but I don't have to go there anymore. I have things produced all over the world--everywhere but here. I am trying to do better. Used to wear Levi's-they went to Guatamaula. Used to eat Hershey's chocolate--they went to France. I could not tell you the last time I have eaten anything that Hershey makes. My kids try to find tennis shoes and there is only one company who makes them here now. I will try to get "Made in America" Christmas presents.

10. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I wonder why I even wrote that because so many shoppers are only looking at the bottom line. If is is from some 3rd world country, it more than likely is being made by slave labor or children but I should buy 6 of them coz they are cheaper than the ones made right here at home.

11. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

Just a few suggestions for those looking for Made in America or "local" gifts: pottery from a local artisan can make a beautiful and unique gift. Vermont Teddy Bear Co. has some very cute teddy bears, most are made in Vermont, and they will tell you if the one you select is not. Pendleton blankets are very warm, beautiful, a little pricey, but last a lifetime. Maple syrup and candies from New England taste different than what you can buy from this region. Local wines might make a nice gift for a host or hostess. Thinking big?...Old Town Canoes are still made in the USA. L.L. Bean sells a *few items that are still manufactured here, including Old Town Canoes and their Boat and Tote bags, which you can have monogrammed. I think they sell fresh wreaths that are made in Maine also. Burts Bees products might make for a few good stocking stuffers and are all made here. Hope this list might help someone buy American this season.

12. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Off the topic of the garden center, but on 'Made in America' gifts ... for the past several years, my Aunt and I have exchanged books from local authors. We live in different states, so I get a book from someone local to her, and she gets a book from someone local to me. ... it's a fun little tradition and the books 'mean' something to us, and we can do our little bit to help a local author.

13. Resident

Resident Well-Known Member

Thanks for this information!

14. CTurtle

CTurtle Guest

More suggestions on, "made in America" gifts are local honey, locally made soaps, lotions all in the past I have seen at the Farmer's Market. The Peanut Roaster (peanut.com) is also a good option for supporting a local business.

15. Ecugyrl

Ecugyrl Well-Known Member

Really? You have got to be kidding me.....go somewhere else and shop if you don't like it! I agree with Clif.