Smartphone Advice

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Allioop, Nov 13, 2011.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'm pretty sure you can also download Android apps from websites.

Although you should be wary, as that's a good way to get viruses.

Which is another point. Since Apple controls their apps distribution with an iron fist, you can pretty much be gauranteed that they will be virus free. Android, however, does not control their "Market", which allows much more freedom in app selection, but it also makes it easier for viruses to get through.

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Good Point, I use both the AVG and Lookout programs to catch viruses and to safe surfing of the web. Lookout does a few other things like backing up my files on the phone and tracking of lost or stolen phone.

3. pkc789

pkc789 Well-Known Member

I have a HTC Evo Shift and I love it. This is my first smart phone and I feel like I can't live without it.

4. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Is it worth getting a phone with on the '4G' network?

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Not around here. I have it, but it stays turned off.

6. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

We don't have it out here yet, but i go into Raleigh quite a bit and they do and it great. i never leave it on cause it does use the battery a lot looking for a signal if you are not in 4g area yet but on the Sprint website you can see where has 4g, eventually we all will.

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking, that it wouldn't be available out here yet ... but I guess as a 'someday' thing ...

8. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

I think we've decided on the HTC Rezound. I just read some reviews, and it looks like a cons are it's heavy and the camera isn't the best. I guess every phone has pros and cons.

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

From what I've been reading they ALL complain about the battery length ... I'm trying to compare what I have now (what I'm used to, a 'dumb' phone?) vs what a new phone will have. How often do you think you'll be using your phone for pics? I've found it -is- convenient to grab the phone and snap a shot here and there, since the phone's almost always with me ...

10. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The camera on the HTC EVO is amazing. I have an SLR hybrid camera I use for important shots, but for everyday stuff, it's great. It's completely replaced my point-n-shoot camera.

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

I have found that under normal use, my phone battery on the Samsung Galaxy SII lasts 2 days. I have an 8mp camara on it, it takes great pictures. I have been able to connect to 4G in the downtown Clayton area. Sitting at Flipside just after I got it, DH didn't think it would connect to 4G, but it did. I haven't turned the 4G on unless I have felt the 3G connection was too slow, I have heard that it does drain the battery if its searching for 4G speed where there is none.

12. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

i totally agree, love the camera on my Evo, it takes better pictures than my digital camera a lot of times and so easy to just take a pic and post directly to FB or email directly to family.

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

That's cause the camara on the EVO 4G is 8MP versus many of the other that I've seen at either 2.5 or 5 MP.

As for the battery life, I just bought a upgraded battery on the reccomendation of a friend and so far I stuck it in the phone yesterday morning with a full charge have not plugged it in to charge yet, and still have 32% left which equates to 112 hours of idle time, 1:23 of 3g/4g talk time, or 3:12 of web surfing left. And I am a heavy user of phone time during the day as that is how all my customers contact me.

14. Allioop

I'd like to use it often. My old phone will take pics but they are blurry and my screen is so small, I don't bother. I do look forward to being able to take better pics on my phone.

15. Allioop

I think the HTC Rezound has 8MP camera too.

16. elims

elims Well-Known Member

The Motorola Razr doesn't have a removable battery, I've read ... does the Rezound? I'm assuming if the battery isn't removable, you can't get one of those better ones that Craig and others have mentioned?

17. bosoxfan

bosoxfan Well-Known Member

The Razr does have a removable battery. I had to replace mine before i went to the i-Phone.

18. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

I think elims was asking about the new Droid razor

19. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Yeah, sorry, didn't realize there was a new one vs an old one. Think the new one was released just a few weeks ago.

20. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Not to be rude, but is it really worth the extra $$$ to upgrade?

Some people are actually downgrading, and moving to tech that meets but does not exceed their needs.

Maybe its worth taking a step back and considering the cost/benefit equation?

Peace.