Shellac nail polish

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Keep hearing this is the latest thing. Has anyone had it done and how much did it cost? My natural nails are fairly long and I was thinking of trying this.
    TIA! :)

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I had it done a few weeks ago and LOVED it!! I had it at Roxies at Riverwood. They looked great for 2 weeks, like they were just polished. No damage to my natural nails. Plan on doing it again for the holidays. It was $30 or so I think.

3. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

I've done it twice. I have decent nails also but just wanted the polish to last. It's great.

4. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

At the risk of sounding dumb, what is this?

5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

6. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

:lol: I didn't know either

7. Allioop

I don't like the fact that you have to go back to the salon to remove it but I might try it just out of curiousity. I've have acrylics before and they damage my nails and grow out too fast. This stuff seems like a better option.

8. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'd never heard of it either, til I went into the salon. I had a groupon for a reg manicure, but when I heard about this I upgraded. :jester:

DH keeps asking me when I'm getting it done again. :mrgreen:

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I didn't go back to the salon, I just soaked them off with pure acetone remover. It took some doing, but I did it. 8)

My only real issue is that my nails grow REALLY fast and I looked like I needed a "fill" after about a week.

I think if you went with a french manicure it wouldn't be an issue.

Oh, and I did cover the re-growth with a matching regular nail polish for the second week.

10. Allioop

I was hoping I could soak them off myself. I've actually removed my own acrylic nails that way and it took some doing too. The french manicure is a great idea. I may have to try that before Christmas.

11. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

I have it done faithfully at My Girlfriend's Place in Clayton. I LOVE it! Its gel that goes on as a polish. If you use regular acetone polish and soak cotton balls and leave it there for 5-10 minutes you can get it off yourself with a little work. I go every 3 weeks and it is just starting to chip at that point.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  12. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

13. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

So I went and had it done - got the french manicure, looks great! I went to Nail-Tek by FL at 4042, $30! :hurray:

14. Straitlover

Straitlover Well-Known Member

I've read/heard too much about the UV lamps and melanoma, so it's a no-go for me. Sorry!

15. michelle

So do my nails have to be long before I can do this? It sounds like they just put something over your own nails that makes them stronger. I have sort stubby nails so this might now work for me.

16. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

They just paint your natural nails, so whatever you have naturally is what they work with. It's not like getting acrylic nails or anything, which is what i liked. No drilling or sanding down my own nails. I had that done once and it took 6 months for my nails to recover. Never again.

This is great, because I am not someone who can keep a regular manicure more than a day. I cooked, cleaned, did everything I normally do and the polish stayed perfect no matter what, and I really tested it out. Oh and it's dry immediately. No waiting for an hour for it to cure. I was rooting around in my purse for my keys immediately after. It's amazing.

17. michelle

Well dang, I guess I wouldn't be a good candidate for the shellac since my nails are short and stubby.

18. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Or you could have it done in some pretty, light color and let your nails grow underneath. It made my nails pretty resistant, plus if you are a nail biter, I don't imagine that would be pleasant.

19. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

20. englishbullymom

englishbullymom Well-Known Member

Michelle I keep my nails short because I'm a church pianist and can't stand my nails to click while playing and I LOVE the shellac manicures. The trick is to make sure the manicurist can still get a pretty shape even with your nails short and personally when I have the dark colors that are popular now, I prefer short nails. I think it looks cleaner and classic. I use Becky at My Girlfriends Place in downtown Clayton and she is the best with short nails. I constantly get compliments on mine. Her Shellac manicure is either $30 or $35 and that INCLUDES going back to get the shellac taken off if you just want your natural nail afterwards. Of course I usually have the shellac put back on this time of year around the holidays:) I bet you will like it if you try it and even if your nails are stubby at first, it will help you grow them out without damaging them like the acrylics do!