Shellac nail polish

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bandmom, Nov 18, 2011.

1. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

question for the shellac'ers... as they grow out, after a few weeks. Do you have to take them off and repeat the process for a new set, or do they just do a fill in with the same color at the bottom where the grow-out is?

Just curious, I've had acrylic done since the early 90's and have just recently switched to gels.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

The Shellac is just like reg nail polish in that you remove the old and apply new, there is nothing on your nail but the polish itself. No tips, no gel, nothing. Just consider the Shellac a really, really tough nail polish.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

How sexist! Are you presuming that, because I'm a man, I don't know how to remove shellac? Did you know that shellac has been used for thousands of years as a furniture finish before someone realized that it could be used for nails?

Aside from that, what makes you think that I don't do my nails? Men colour their hair, they wear make-up, why not nails as well?

4. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Hey girl, how did you like nail tek? I'm getting my nails did there Friday afternoon.

If you didn't like them, I'll cancel right now. LOL

5. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Ooops sorry to upset you, Chaz B

6. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Yes, I thought they did a great job. The first time the man did them, and the next time the younger lady did them, both did a good job.

7. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Just be sure whoever does it is careful not to get the stuff on your cuticles. The last time I had it done the edges peeled away because my girl was in a hurry and got sloppy.

8. harleygirl

Thanks! For some reason my nails are growing like WEEDS, do you thik i should get the shellac??

9. bandmom

do they break easily or why are you getting them done? it will keep them from breaking (thats what I like, cause my nails break constantly). But it is something that you'll either have to get them to remove, or go buy the all acetone remover and let them soak. I couldn't find 100% acetone at CVS, but have heard Walmartz has it. I've done it twice now, and do love it, but not sure I want something to 'keep up' for $25 every 3-4 wks (thats about how long it seems to last before looking bad).

10. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Just curious... how long does the whole process take to get an old set removed and then a new set of shellac put on?

You can buy the acetone at Sallys in good size bottle.

11. bandmom

maybe 30min, depending on how busy they are.

12. harleygirl

no they dont break easily but they are paper thin and look better with polish on 'em. I was going to get them done as a "treat" to myself but I think I'll stick with regular fangernail polish not the shellac. That's kinda high maintenance to keep going back... etc.. especially at $25 a pop :ack:

13. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

I bought all the stuff and have been doing my own. i am getting better at it....lol.. i started with a light color and am working my way up to really bright ones. The cost at ulta was less the 50 bucks to get everything you need to start.
    Yes if you don't put it on right or too thick, it can begin to peel at the sides if it is on the skin. It takes me about an hour or so to do.
    SO................ take the time and do it yourself. ....lol. It's relaxing!!.

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I had it done recently, and I was really dissappointed. Within a few days, the polish started peeling from the sides and the bottom. No flaking, just peeling.

Maybe the people that did it, did something wrong, but for $30 I expected more.

15. bandmom

did they do a manicure first? I've heard that if they don't push back the cuticle, or it's on the skin it will peel up. The first time I got it, I got the manicure first and they lasted almost 3 weeks! The second time I just got the polish changed, and after about a week I noticed the peeling on the sides and bottom.