What's up with 96Rock??

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by firefly69, Nov 21, 2011.

1. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

First 106.1 crapped out, now 96Rock has gone sour, and I cannot get 103.5 clearly in the boonies of Archer Lodge. What gives? Everyone around here does NOT like country or talk radio. All I want is one GOOD, consistent station, like 106 used to be. Glad I have Sirius on my car and streaming 103.5 at work (was 96rock until today). What happened, db?

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

stream Pandora at work and you can make your own station(s). :mrgreen:

(I currently have 29)8)

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Only 29? I have half that many just in Christmas channels. :p

4. KellBell

I figure I was laggin' behind.

5. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I love Pandora. For the most part, they always seem to play just what was wanting to hear. Except they don't have enough Trans-Siberian Orchestra on the Trans-Siberian Orchestra channel.

6. KellBell

I am loving the new feature now that you can shuffle all your stations....the best ever...goes from Elvis to Pearl Jam...

7. KellBell

here's your answer

http://radio961.com/letter.htm

8. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Yeah, I got that letter this morning in my email, but I am not really buying it that the listeners wanted this change. Pandora it shall be, or 103.5 streaming. I'm only at my desk about an hour each day, but it is nice to drown out the people in the hall when I'm in there.

9. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Did not know that! Will be checking that out. Thanks!:cheers:

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Looking forward to seeing them again at the RBC! It is a family tradition with my DH and two DS's!! Lots of fun and really kicks off the season for us.

11. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

I'd like to see them live too, unfortunately the rest of Christmas costs too much. :)

12. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I get that...it is our present to each other each year (with dinner!). We are operating on a TIGHT budget this year due to many unexpected financial setbacks in 2011, but this is one thing no one wanted to give up. I was pretty happy about that, given that my boys are older (15 and 17). Kinda nice this year with no big expectations or pressure. Just enjoying each other!

(If you do decide to go, get your tickets at the RBC box office. We saved $40+ on fees by buying them there. And we got to pick our seats a little more easily than online! )

13. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Pretty much stopped listening to G105 well over a decade ago, Can't stand bob and the showgram, and Jim bob and boobie or what ever they are called. I try to listen to Bob and Sheri when eve I can get a decent signal. The other two stations I listen to now 24*7 Christmas and I refuse to listen to them until at least a week before Chrismas. I find my self listening to alot of WUNC. Also I have the use of my brothers vw bug and it has satellite radio and I find myself listening to the following stations:
    E Street radio
    radio margaritaville
    Sinatra
    Blue collar
    CNN

Mostly its on CNN

14. cynadon

cynadon Well-Known Member

I just got iheart radio for the Ipad. So far its great and free. Also have pandora.

15. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

As soon as radio stations became "corporate" the music variety died. It was inevitable with the internet.

They made their own bed.

16. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Exactly! That was my point! The crappy email they sent out proved that. "The people" wanted this...right. My 17-year old were having this discussion today, right after he came home and asked me what happened to 96 Rock (and Bob the Blade). Guess he'll be tuning his HD radio and his Zune. Sad for the next generation.

17. Rigmaster

Rigmaster Well-Known Member

meh, commercial radio is always going to be a compromise, and they will spend tons of money on "research" to try to get better ratings.

I have been hoping we'd get one of those "we play anything" stations- I think they're usually called "Bob FM"- I've heard them in the Greensboro area and the Laurinburg/Lumberton (?) area while driving through.

I get SOOOOOOO tired of every station just playing the same 2-3 songs from various artists'- most of these groups have hundreds of songs to choose from, so why not branch out a little bit every once in a while??????!111111

18. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

Are you kidding? Finally! You mean they're getting rid of Stoner Rock Radio and actually will be playing some good modern rock? I'll take Pearl Jam over "It's 1970 and I'm so stoned I cant play the guitar" Pink Effing Floyd any day of the year

If this amounts to something as good as I think, then it will be a return to 96s greatness last seen in the mid 90s

EDIT: I just tuned in - they better not be planning to play Metallica every 5 songs and get away with calling it a "new format." They're gonna have to play some Incubus and 90s alternative b-sides to get my approval!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  19. Webmaster

Webmaster Administrator

Thanks for the opening Rigmaster...... ;-)

4042.com Radio, which was launched in February of this year is a hybrid of the BOB FM and Jack FM types of formats, with an "iPod" kind of mentality when it comes to the mix. Basically it throws out all the preconceptions the corporate radio programmers have had for years (like never play two female artists back to back, song selection based on tempo and time of day, etc, etc.) and just includes anything that has proven itself over the years as being popular, and a scattering of lesser known artist selections. That, along with current hits thrown in and you end up with lots of variety.

The traditional dominance of terrestrial stations is slipping as the Internet and streaming has made it possible to target specific geographical, musical and local interests. With the ability to receive Internet based stations growing almost monthly we expect the growth to continue in that direction. Last month, 4042.com Radio logged more than 1,600 unique listeners - a cume that is already on a par with other small market terrestrial stations.

The key is being able to tune in to a stream while driving - and ALL car manufacturers are coming out with new models that include the ability to listen to streaming stations. Once that part of the market (car listening hours) obtains critical mass....well, it will be a "game changer" as the suits like to say.

So, while you are on the road or at your PC, listen in if you get a chance!

Through your browser:
    http://stream.4042.com/

On the Tune In Network:
    http://tunein.com/radio/4042com-Radio-s134857/

Using the Windows Media Player:
    http://gomp3.4042.com/

On your Android or iPhone - get the app!:
    http://icont.ac/epZG

BTW, the "Webmaster's Pick" for listening in your car is the Jabra Cruiser. It's a bluetooth speakerphone you clip on your visor, and includes an FM transmitter. So your phone links to the Jabra, which broadcasts the sound to whatever frequency you pick. Besides giving you hands free (and arguably safer) cell phone use while on the road, you can now tune in to a stream with your phone (4042.com Radio of course!) and listen through your car stereo.

I've purchased three Jabra Cruisers off of Ebay for myself for and other family members, each for about $25. Try it....you'll like it!

We now return you to your regular programming.....8)

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  20. Mr.X

Mr.X Well-Known Member

I use my Ipod exclusively in the car. 96 rock sucks and has sucked for a long time. I have never heard G105, I have just heard that Bob guy is a *********