How much do you spend...

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by WhatNow, Nov 21, 2011.

1. WhatNow

WhatNow Well-Known Member

how much do you spend (honestly) on your teen at Christmas? Or, what do you think is a reasonable amount? What is too much, too little? I know the situation makes a difference, but in general, if you are able to make all your payments but still struggle some....

2. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

We usually spend about $600 BUT we only have one child. Some years it's more and some years it's less. Just depends on what she wants that year. This year she wants cold hard cash. :lol:

3. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

This year we're looking at 2 laptops and a PS3 and the disappointing news of the existence of the Fat Man. That should put us on Ramen noodles for a while. It's a once in a LONG time thing.... I'm paying for it the hard way :(

4. nsanemom22

I would like to point out that it depends on the circumstances. Sometimes there's more. Sometimes there's less. It's not about how much you spend or what you give. ...<---Not jumping on that wagon. It just ain't.

5. WhatNow

I agree!! I want my kids to know it is about more then stuff!! I also get great joy out of seeing their happy faces when they open a gift they love. I have 4 kids - 3 teens & one almost tween - My H & I often do not agree on an amount. I always shop sales & I do pretty darn good at it or there would have been no Santa for 18 years now. But H seems to have very unrealistic expectations on the spending. After 18 years of Santa, I think he would be happy to have one, maybe 2 gifts for each of them.... and NO more Santa. My 18yo hates the idea of not "playing" Santa & it would crush my youngest kid. :?

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

7. WhatNow

On one teen, right?

8. Abdulina

Abdulina Well-Known Member

There would be mutiny w/ my kids if they ever got wind of this post & saw some of the amounts. LOL. We have 10 kids. Arrived home very late Friday evening w/ the final 3 for those who are curious. Anyhow, w/ 10, it is a stretch no matter what. Teen or no teen. We have currently 3 teens. They all know we can only do $100 on each. Doesn't go far. However, they've never ever complained. And, I tend to find great deals. BTW, $100 doesn't go far at all nowadays. But, my kids are always surprised Christmas morning and have never complained about the amount of stuff. Some of the bigger items, my kids have bought themselves or saved up for. My son bought his first laptop earlier this year. I have seen some teens receive literally around $1000 worth of gifts. That, I think is excessive. Ideally, if we could, we'd spend around $250 on each. It is a hard decision. Good luck.

Stephanie-- mom to 10

9. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

you don't know Money Wulf??

10. 2not2

2not2 Well-Known Member

This is a tough one, at least at my house. We have a 17 year old and 3 much younger, my husband thinks I should spend the same amount on each child. It's not that simple...I can't just go to Big Lots and buy the teen a $5 Transformer and make him happy. Let's face it, the things that interest him or even things he NEEDS for that matter just cost more! He normally gets 1 big ticket item each Christmas...3 years ago, his phone...2 years ago, his iPod...don't remember last year. This year probably a laptop or TV, the rest will be clothes. Normally, I probably spend about $200 on him and $100 each on the younger ones. This year, the $$ will be higher...for ALL of them; already spent $75 each on my girls and that's only for 3 gifts a piece!

11. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

You're gonna tell 'em????

12. nsanemom22

So far that's our big plan. Nothing is set in stone. He's for the laptops. Me, not so much. As for telling them. I don't see us doing it. But we've said for a couple of years now that we're going to. I don't want to. When my youngest finds out I can already feel the wedge that going to be there from him not trusting us again. I'm all for keeping my mouth shut.

13. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

Just curious, but why would you tell them? My Mom & Dad didn't tell me. I didn't and won't tell mine. They are smart, they know. I knew. It was just words unspoken. I always answer, as did my Mom, "I believe"

IMO it's just one of those things that just doesn't need confirming or denying.

14. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

very good

15. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

:iagree: I was never told and when I found out, I hoped my parents wouldn't know i knew so I could keep getting Santa gifts! I had a friend whose parents said, "if you don't believe, you don't receive." She's 30 now and still believes! :lol:

16. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

Tell them what? A lie?

Why not tell the truth, that he exists?

But it's obvious you don't. You should, though. He believes in you.

As do I and a lot of other people.

Every year I post a poll (and will again, probably Friday) asking who believes. Not just in the idea, the "Yes, Virginia, Santa is the spirit of Christmas giving", but the real, actual guy living at the North Pole making toys and gifts for all who believe. The poll always shows that a majority do believe.

17. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

My DS12 is playing along with us. We still put out milk and cookies last year. :jester:

18. KellBell

we put out some honeybaked ham, crackers and cheeseball. 8)

and it's still the one night I can get them over 6 ft. tall 15 year olds to go to bed early without a bunch of moaning and groaning. :mrgreen:

19. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I will never forget one Christmas Eve when DS was small, my DH snuck outside with a Santa Hat on and made like he was knocking on the door...."Ho Ho Hoing"........ the whole nine yards, you could just see the top of the hat through the window.

DS RAN as fast as he could to the bed and hopped in. We asked him if he didn't want to see Santa??

He said "Sanata won't come in if I am not in bed!!!!" It was so cute. :mrgreen:

20. KellBell

I love it!

We still put out carrots and such for the reindeer and I still go out and sprinkle glitter on the grounf for the next morning.... 8)